Very Red, Raw Nose!

This may seem trivial, but my 22 month old daughter has a VERY red nose from a bad cold. Her nose and upper lip are so red and nearly raw. She usually cooperates with nose-wiping, but it is so bad that she fights us to wipe her nose. We are using Puffs with lotion, and periodically putting vaseline under her nose where it is most red. Any other suggestions to help soothe this discomfort? I'd love to hear your home rememdies or suggestions. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

My daughter does this too. We have found that the Mary Kay night cream works well. It is thicker than vaseline and won't come off as easy. I put it on several times a day. It is orange/pink in color, but goes on clear. It works for us.

You got some great advice. I think the Lanolin is a great idea. What I've always used on my son's nose is A&D diaper rash cream. It is very similar to the Lanolin (maybe even the same ingredients) and has always worked wonderfully. Good luck.

Try neosporin plus pain relief. It will coat it like vaseline and also rid her of some of the discomfort. It works I do this for my own daughter and self.

I got lanolin when I was breastfeeding, and have used it when I have a raw nose, and it works miracles. I also use puffs plus with lotion to prevent the raw nose, they help too. Lanolin is great you can find it at drug stores. Any lotion without alcohol in it would be good, but could hurt, lanolin doesn't, vasoline works well too, but lanolin heals the skin better.

I just discovered Aquaphor healing ointment (from Eucerin) thanks to my mom. my almost three year old had a large, raw red patch under her nose and on her cheek (from wiping with her sleve when I wasn't looking). My mom gave me a tube of this stuff and after one application it was almost gone! Of course, I had to apply it everyday because her nose kept running and she kept wiping.
I also used it on my own nose and even on my chapped lips. It is colorless, odorless, and has no taste! I'll never be without it during cold season again!

I would just keep the chapstick or vaseline on her nose and lip all the time. It should clear up eventually, but it's going to suck until it does . . .

Use rags cut from old cotton or flannel clothing. Much more gentle on the nose than facial tissue. Also, some kids are irritated/allergic to the contents of the lotion in those types of tissues.

I use the Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream. It is a heavy pink ointment. It doesn't sting and clears up the redness and heals the dryness. Your daughter will feel the difference the next day. Just keep a little bit on her nose and any other red and dry areas. You only have to use very little. this tiny little bottle lasts forever. I've used it on myself as well.

Aquaphor is great, as others mentioned. I use PureLan on my daughter and it works wonders... plus it's totally safe if she happens to rub it on her hands and then into her mouth.

I used the lanolin I had left after breastfeeding when I had the same problem with my infant son. I used it at night and it worked like a charm.

1 / 3