Very Congested 9 Month Old

My 9 month old is so congested. She can hardly breathe out of her nose and it is making it difficult for her to eat and sleep. I have been suctioning her nose but it immediatly fills right back up. I took her to the doctor last week and all she has is a cold. They told me just to keep her comfortable and suction her nose as needed but this is getting ridiculous. No fever, cough or any other symptoms. Suggestions on what to do for her or give her? Are there any decongestants for infants?

Thanks,

We swear by the Vics Vaporub on feet and covered with socks remedy. It works like a charm, even on me! My sister has always used this trick on her son, who suffers from asthma and frequent sinus infections.

Saline drops, humidifier and vicks on her chest is about all there is to do for that age, poor babies :( My 4 month old was really congested a couple of weeks ago and it's so hard to see them like that. Those three things helped some, hope she's better soon.

I would not keep on suctioning. You can damage the membrane.

I would give her saline drops as often as you can i.e every 30 minutes. Also, I would purchase a humidifier. This will help tremendously.

I had to deal with exact same thing with my newborn. I did several things that worked out for her. I Kept suctioning her nose constantly with a nasal aspirator. It helped her breathe better.
Also, I used a 1 tablespoon of carom seeds (ajwain) crushed and tied up in a cloth. It heped her inhalation. I also put a bundle of it placed close to her the baby sleeps (close to the head). It seemed to relieve her nasal congestion. Or put it under her clothes close to the chin.
Also, I made a mixture of water and salt. I I put 2 drops in each nasal canal to help her to take out the mucus. Normally i put 6 times a day. Wait 5 minutes and then, use the aspirator. Don't forget doing it at night time. An humidifier works as well. I do not know which one worked, i used all of it together! and it worked. it takes time, but it worked!
I filled up the bathub with hot water and pour eucalytos oil inside and mentol oil. After there was a steamy atmosphere inside I went inside the bathroom with my daugther and stayed there for 30 minutes. I place her on my laps her face facing down to the wtaer so she could inhale the oils. I covered her head with a towel. After it, i saw a significant improvement on her congested nose.

Did they test her for RSV? There are OTC decongestants you can use, but you have to get the dosage from your doctor. You can also try homeopathic, a friend recommended this:
http://abchomeopathy.com/r.php/Hep
Also, try the J&J baby bath that's in the green bottle for babies with colds, that always helps my daughter a little bit, or you can get the Aura Cacia clearing foam bath at Sprouts or Whole Foods. Good luck! Hope she's better soon.

Saline drops work wonders - I like Simply Saline. A cool mist humidifier is also helpful.

Warning about using Vick's!! Be very careful about using Vicks on her chest!! My daughter was very sensitive to Vick's and it would cause swelling in her airway and eyes and she would break out in a rash. I could only use the one labled for children. Just keep a close eye on her to make sure she can tolerate it.

Have you tried running a humidifier in her room? That has always helped my lil one when she is stuffy and/or congested. Another thing I do is take my lil one in the bathroom and run hot water for about 5-10 minutes, the steam seems to help with the congestion too. I personally try to avoid giving any type of medication unless it's tylenol or motrin/advil.

I would ask your doctor for a decongestant. My pedi. Gave us one with my daughter that had a cold and it really helped keep things moving with all the nose sucking I was doing too. Also, you can put saline drops in her nose to help keep infection away.

1 / 3