Very Concerned! My One Year Old Is Doing a Humping Thing.

My daughter is 13 mos. old. For the past two months or so she has started this humping thing. She lays over a toy, such has her little block box the bottom rim of her walker etc. and humps. I've noticed for the most part she only does this when she is getting tired. This is my only child and I don't know if its something I should be worried about. I did ask her pediatrican and she said it was for the most part normal. HOWEVER i just don't know if i trust that. SO if anyone could shed some light on this subject it would be greatly apprciated.
Thanks

I wouldn't worry about this much. I know it's very disconcerting to see, but I'd trust the pediatrician. If you read up on this at all, you'll see that even the old Dr. Spock books from a million years ago say this is no big deal. The only thing you'd want to do is tell her that it's something she should do in private, though she won't understand that until she's older. If it freaks you out, you can just redirect her to another activity, like you would for anything else you don't want her to do, especially if she only does it when she's tired. Just be matter-of-fact about it and don't act upset or mad, and she'll probably become interested in the new activity and forget about it. Good luck!

My friend has a daughter who did the same thing around 1 year old. We don't know where she picked it up, but she is 3 yrs. old now and has outgrown it.

HA HA I love it!! another humper! My daughter is 2 and she still humps sometimes! She does it to me when I pick her up and she's so excited to see me. :) It is totally bizarre, but funny. One day I tell her about that habit! :)

Both my children did that around the same age. I was a little concerned at first. I was having babies slightly later in life, so that was a little alarming. Once the second child started doing it, I too asked the pediatrician. For the life of me, I can't remember what exactly was said, but I do remember her saying that it was perfectly normal. On a side note, it is very important that you research medical issues as well. The internet is a powerful tool. I work in the healthcare field, so I know that the physicians are not always exactly correct or forthcoming when it comes to keeping the patient informed on health issues. If you don't feel comfortable with what the pediatrician is telling you, always follow up with your own research. Excellent websites are WebMD, MSN Health, and IVilliage.com. Hope this helps.

mine waited a little longer to try that but it is normal...shes found herself...lol. i had five and all of them did it with no encouragement and so did my granddaughter. it might be shes just rocking herself to sleep too. does she always straddle a toy? if so id say it was the first.

T.,
I'm a 16 year old mother of 4. My Son, who is now 2 1/2 did that when he was between 9-12 months. I was scared half to death at first. I was only 13 years old & I didn't know what was going on. But it passed. So I'm sure that it's completely normal. My little girl is 12 months old now and has not started doing this yet, but I won't be surprised if she does. I also have twin boys who are 38 days old. If you would like to talk to me, my email address is ____@____.com

A.

T.,

Don't worry! It is a normal thing. My baby sister did this same thing for a while and eventually she grew out of it. I'd have to double check with my mother about how long she did it. They do grow out of it. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do to help her not do it and its terribly embarrassing when there is company around. Hope this helps!

Hey ive seen my month youngest do something like that i just told her no and she stopped but she did it too. But she just did it on the floor not with anything. I wouldnt worry too much kids are strange! ive got two that does some weird things

Hi T.,
Humping is a child's only way to express "domination" and control over his/her environment. Everything around the child has control and authority over them. Adults are bigger, able to put the child wherever they want without question, etc. The only thing that the child feels she can dominate or have the least bit of control over are the small, inanimate objects around her. The act of humping is a definite show of forced submission/domination. This is only her way of expressing her need for control. It will pass soon, but it would be a good idea to distract her from her toy when this occurs and move her to something else that interests her. This way she will learn that she can control her environment in other ways (give her a toy she can control with her hands, for example). She will learn that she can use different expressions of control.

I hope this helps!

I have never had anyone mention their child doing that. Is this something she could have seen or learned from another child or even an adult? Maybe you should try to find out if she could have picked it up from outside sources. I would be freaked out somewhat also. I hope no one is doing anything to her. Good luck, W.

I aint a parent yet and wont be one for few years till i get married and done with school, but when i was younger i know i did it, I still do it sometimes.

1 / 3