Vent, Not Question, Hubbys and Tools

My husband has a huge tool collection, asks for tools for birthday and Christmas.... So why does he pitch a fit when something in our home breaks and he has to get out the prized tools to fix it???? You would think he'd jump up and down and yell "Yippee" because he had a reason to use those precious tools!!

:) M

You know how some women have a "professional" kitchen with all the bells and whistles? And they never want to cook? It's kind of like that.

My H uses tools so infrequently that he never knows where they are. I used to ask him, what if I had to find my pots and pans everyday?

A lot of men own huge tools, but not all men know how to use their huge tools. Some men are intimidated by their huge tools. And some men identify too closely with their huge tools until they become a huge tool themselves.
Hope that helps.

I can go one further. We own a commercial construction business, and my husband is out there 12 hours every day using the heck out of his tools. Yet the toilet paper holder in my bathroom came off the wall a month ago... and it's still broken. I'd fix it myself, except that all of the tools are on his truck, with him, during all the hours I'm awake! *sigh* I tell him, "That's okay, I'll just run by Home Depot and get the things I need to fix this." and he says, "No, don't do that. I'll fix it." Ohhhhhkay... any day now...

Indeed!

To me this is like people who buy a big, beautiful pick up truck and then freak out when they have to haul something messy or scratchy. It is a truck, people, that is its purpose in life. Sigh.

Hope that helps.

My hubby is a mechanic and has SOOO many tools that we have them insured. I have to say he is always very eager to use his tools...especially his new ones. However, he is not so eager when I have a project lined up for him that he doesn't want to do. In other words...he likes to play with them, just not necessarily work with them :)

Well.....

I'm sure my hubby would say something about all the fabric I have... and how few projects I've actually completed! Plus the fact that I really do have 6 different sewing machines, and can't bear to get rid of any of them... (2 are pre-WWII era (Antique Singer and a 1940 Bernina), one is a 1990's Singer from my mom, one is her Serger (also 1990's), one is my mom's Bernina (1080 QE.. what a sweet machine!), and one is a brand-new Brother that my kids bought me for Mother's day this year.... (4 of the machines are from my mom, and the antique Singer is from my hubby's aunt....)

But... I really am doing more quilting.. I just finished a lap quilt for my sister..... I'm still learning, and am not very fast yet.

Because it is still work to fix stuff?

ROFL.

My mum is the tool collector in our fam (also the handy man). You would not BELIEVE how many 'points' my dad got from his coworkers when he'd buy a table saw for Mother's Day (dual purpose, dear, when the kids act up... Just saw them in half;), cordless drill for valentines day, etc. my mum LOVED these things, but his coworkers totally missed that part somehow.

She's keen on fixing stuff, though. She only complains about the THIRD trip to the hardware store, and the wasted afternoon, and terrible drivers, etc.

Tools are to men what shoes are to women.

Well, does he actually know HOW to use the tools?

LOL!

(Sorry, couldn't resist laughing at the thought that he loves tools but has no idea what to do with them!)

Hey, I'm not getting involved in this discussion because my husband could turn it back on me and ask me when I'm going to use all of the fabric and yarn I keep buying like it's going out of style.

It makes us happy. Don't you have something you have trouble passing by?

BeenThere's response hits it on the head! Men and tools just go together, they don't necessarily work well together....LOL

It's probably the thought of having all the tools that excites him, not necessarily the work he has to do when it comes up.
Knowing what you know....no more tools...right?

He is one of those that just likes to have it, but not use it nor actually fix something.

As in: I know many people who collect kitchen gadgets. But are they supreme "chef?" No. And they do not even know how to cook, well.

We or rather I, have a lot of tools. Mostly from my late Dad. Love it. Some are so old but still 100% usable still and you can't find stuff like that anymore. I know how to use the tools, better than my Husband. I actually fix, things.

Lucky!

I had a lovely set of Snap-on and Craftsman tools, and my ex walked off with those, and my Mother's tools that she left in the house she rented us.

BTW, Hubby? You need to use them to show you appreciate them, that way she's more apt to get you the next greatest thing since sliced bread when you put it on your Holiday gift list.

I can relate. I jumped up and down and clapped with glee when we got our fancy new dishwasher (after not having one for over a year), yet I scowl and sometimes get cranky over cleaning dishes!

Because it is frustrating that the expensive house constantly needs repair. Our house is 16 years old and all the "builder special" appliances (i.e. the cheapest) are breaking at the same time while all our doors seem to not close right due to very slight settling, the wood around the windows just got replaced, the hot water heater and dishwasher are newly purchased, and now I have to dig out the tall ladder since one of the bulbs high up in the garage beams for lighting each bay has burned out. It is just never ending.......