Velcro Shoes --How to Keep Them on a Toddler!

Hello,
Any advice on getting an 18 month old to keep his shoes on? We recently got my son a new pair of Saucony sneakers at the StrideRite store. They seem very comfortable and he wore them with no problems for a couple weeks. I know the fit is ok, so I don’t think this a size or comfort issue. However, the shoes have a Velcro closure and he recently discovered that he can undo the Velcro and remove his shoes (and socks!). If this only happened at home, I wouldn’t worry about it much—I’d rather go barefoot too! But our daycare is complaining that we need to get him to keep his shoes on. Naturally, they are worried that he will hurt a foot or another child will step on him or something. I am trying to decide whether it’s worth it to buy another new pair of tie shoes and maybe he won’t be able to get them off so easily. Given the cost of the nice shoes we just bought, I was hoping someone out there might have a solution for Velcro though. Someone told me to duct tape them on him every day—just tape the shoes on! Has anyone tried that? Or should I just get some new tie shoes? Any creative solutions would be appreciated.

My 2.5 year old has always been one to remove her shoes. If he really wants to get them off then nothing will stop him. Double knotting just meant that I had to untie the double knot to get them back on her (which gets really annoying). I don't react anymore. She still does it but now she is learning how to put her shoes back on so if she takes them off then she puts them back on (sometimes with a little help) so now it is great to have velcro and sandals, it is just part of life for us. I think some kids just don't like to have things on their feet, I agree with the others who say this is nothing compared to the "remove all of my clothes and diaper" stage :) good luck :)

Hi Nict - this is pretty normal behavior for and toddler and it will pass when he's bored with it. Don't make too big an issue with him about it - be matter of fact and just put his shoes back on. That will avoid it turning into a game where he wants to see your reaction.

Give daycare same advice - dont take too much guff from them but be sensitive. Tell them those are the only shoes you have for him now and to please just put his shoes back on without making a big fuss. That you believe he'll get bored and move on to something else like his clothes or his diaper . . . LOL : )

I've lost 1 pair of shoes that way too. I usually have the shoes off. I put it on when I know he gets to walk. He usually fusses until I tell him he needs shoes on if he wants to walk. Mine is 16 months old. He went through and is still going through that stage but is getting better. I think yours just needs to get used to wearing shoes. Let him have them on and walk/run around with them in the back yard or park. He may get used to wearing them and I think he'll probably be able to get tie shoes off too.

all children at 18 months by nature hate having anything on their feet , if you elect to go with the tie up shoes make sure to buy a pair of string keepers , this will prove more difficult for him to figure out and since the keepers are spring loaded he will not yet have the strenght in his hands to squeeze them together enough to loosen the strings , now for the duct tape idea !! it seems to be used for just about everything else here in oklahoma , we call duct tape a must for all tool boxes that no self respecting repairman should do without :) :) paschar

My little gal is only 11 months but a champ at getting her shoes off! I've had the best luck with a high top type of shoe (a soft sided shoe so her ankles can still move) or something that I can strap at the ankle. Although, I realize that may be easier in girl fashions. Good luck!

Do they have two velcro strips on each shoe? If so, you could try criss-crossing them.

Our kids both have the same Saucony shoes - we chose the one with what appear to be laces and 1 velcro strap vs. the shoes with the 2 straps. Our daughter was probably 15-16 months when we got them for her, and we've not had any problems. Neither of my kids have ever been ones to be anxious to take their shoes off.

Is it possible to buy a less expensive pair of shoes, perhaps real laces that may be easier for him to get off because they're tighter, for day care and wear the nicer ones the rest of the time when it's not as much of an issue?

We've had good luck at Kohl's this season with their shoes. Both of my kids have wide feet (daugther is double wide), so we usually have to go with more expensive shoes that they quickly destroy.

Good luck - wish I had more advice.

I think he will do it until he gets bored of it... you might have to buy tie shoes... unfortunate as it is. My 17 month old did this for a long time, but she wasn't in daycare so I would just put them in the diaper bag until she had to walk..hehe... she no longer takes her shoes off, so i'm thinking it is a phase.

On a lighter note, I buy my daughters Stride Right shoes at the outlet mall for at least 1/2 the price of the normal store. :)

1 / 3