Vegitarian Recipe... Vegan Guests

Hi Moms,
I know I can go online anytime to look up a recipe so please don't refer me to a website. :)..I am personally asking you if you are a vegitarian or enjoy recipes that are vegitarian and easy to make if you could share them with me..I have guests coming for Easter that follow the Vegan diet...Of course what do I have on the menu..Ham and Cheesey potatoes...That won't fly LOL! I love cooking and baking and I am open to make a recipe or two to accomodate my guests...Can you please give me a recipe or idea that you absolutely love?? Thanks

Two of my favorite vegan dishes are lentils (cooked with lots of garlic, onions, and paprika) and rice, and quinoa tossed with stir-fried vegetables.

Instead of cheesy potatoes, how about roasted potatoes and vegetables as a side dish? I would do potatoes, sweet potatoes, asparagus, onions, maybe even add peppers and turnips. Toss with a bit of oil, salt, pepper and dried spices (basil, oregano, rosemary) and bake at 400 degrees for 40 min. If you like baking, I have some very easy bread recipes that are vegan and would be happy to share. You can still make your ham if you want to for the non-vegans.
Possible menu:
relish tray (olives, cut veggies such as radish, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower), Hummus and possibly ranch for dipping
Ham
roasted potatoes and veggies
Tossed salad
freshly baked bread (oat bread or wheat bread would be yummy)
Fruit for dessert (grapes, strawberries and pineapple?)
I don't have any vegan desserts I have made so hopefully someone else can help you out there.

i notice allot of complicated meat substitutes in answers, which is great if you eat the diet everyday and get bored or miss meat. but allot of vegans aren't interested in meat-like things. plus it complicated.
you don't have to make a whole nother entree, just make sure your veggie "side dishes" (remember they are only side dishes in the eyes of people eating ham, lol) don't have butter or chicken broth in them. and that they are not Boring!
and i doubt you were planning boring side dishes anyway! Right!?

I dated a veggie chef for years, and we just enjoyed simple things.

one of our favorites was curried butternut squash.
dice the butternut squash, toss in a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt, curry powder, paprika, and maybe a little cyan pepper. roast in oven till tender. Mmmm...

also Quinoa is great! you cook it like rice and can use it instead of rice or pasta. it's very pretty, comes in white red and black. works hot or cold, like in a pasta salad, and it is an excellent source of protein! - try cooking it in vegatable broth instead of water.

coconut "milk" is also a good staple. try using it in place of cream for a sauce! YUM!!!

and Horseradish is a great alternative to cheese to spice up mashed potatoes!!

You love to cook, so just be creative!!!
I'm sure if you just play around with spicing up some simple vegetable dishes like squash, eggplant, sweet potato, ect between now and Easter you will come up with things that not only your vegan friends will enjoy, but the rest of your guests as well! you might even end up with some new staples in your own household routine!

Just remember, Vegans eliminate all animal products from their diets- no eggs, cheese, gelatin, etc. I think chinese and indian dishes are great as well as things like black beans and rice, lentil soup, kale and white bean pasta. For more of a brunch theme, what about a soy yogurt parfait?

I also totally agree with another poster, encourage them to bring a dish to share.

Quinoa is a great option for vegans, being the best non-animal complete protein source. Here's my fave recipe: cook the quinoa in a combination of orange juice and veggie broth in place of the water (to add extra flavor). Toss with chick peas, roasted red pepper, and kalamata olives. Then make a sauce: cilantro, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and a bit of cayenne (more if you like very spicy) in the food processor until smooth. Toss it all together, and, if you want, top with some nuts for extra crunch. Very yummy and filling, totally vegan. Goes great with any regular veggie side (broccoli, green beans, whatever--just remember not to put any butter on them!!) It's adapted from the July 2009 issue of Cooking Light magazine, if you want to look up the original.

2 ALTERNATIVES WE REGULARLY USE BELOW:

I found this on-line but have made it and it was AWESOME (my daughter is milk, egg, peanut, fish allergic):

Dairy-Free Vegan Lasagna:

This lasagna recipe is quick to make and easy to prepare in advance. For a quick weeknight meal, the lasagna can be prepared through step 3, frozen and baked another day, as it will keep in the freezer for up to 1 month. (If you decide to do this, just be sure to let your lasagna return to room temperature before baking.)

This dairy-free ricotta is easy and healthy to make, and it adds just the right amount of texture to the casserole.

Makes one 9" x 13" lasagna

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutesIngredients:
•¼ cup flour
•1/3 cup nutritional yeast
•1 t. salt
•2 cups almond milk or other non-dairy milk alternative
•1 ½ t. cider vinegar
•1 ½ t. olive oil (optional, but I prefer it!)
•2 cups warm pasta sauce, either store-bought or homemade
•1 9-ounce package no-boil lasagna noodles
•1 Recipe Dairy-free Ricotta Cheese
Preparation:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.

2. Make the cheese sauce. Combine the flour, nutritional yeast and salt in a small saucepan off-heat. Add ¼ cup of the almond milk, stirring with a wooden spoon until mixture is well combined. Add the remaining almond milk, vinegar and oil, stirring until smooth. Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 4-5 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and set aside.

3. Assemble the lasagna. Pour about ½ cup of the pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9” x 13” casserole dish, followed by a layer of noodles, followed by some of the dairy-free ricotta, followed by some of the cheese sauce, followed by another layer of noodles. Repeat, alternating the pasta sauce with the cheese sauce, reserving the last ½ cup of cheese sauce to top the lasagna.

4. Bake for 40 minutes, or until lasagna is golden brown. Serve warm.

For the Dairy Free Ricotta Recipe:

Healthy and light, this ricotta cheese substitution is great for pasta dishes like lasagna, manicotti and ravioli, and it also works well in vegetable bakes and casseroles. This is also refreshing as a cool and creamy addition to a fresh salad. While most recipes with tofu call for you to drain it, you do not need to do so for this recipe; just open the box!

For strict vegans who do not consume honey, using agave nectar works as well

Makes 2 cups

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutesIngredients:
•2 12-oz. blocks Extra Firm Silken Tofu,
•1 t. honey or agave nectar
•2 t. apple cider vinegar
•2 t. salt, plus more to taste
Preparation:
1. In a small bowl, mash the tofu with a fork or crumble with your hands. Mix in the remaining ingredients until well combined. Ricotta will keep for 3 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

OR A SECOND CHOICE:

Roasted Vegetables & Cous Cous

Cut up veggies like eggplant, onions, peppers, sweet potatoes, zuchinni and squash into 1.5 inch cubes -- put in baggies with olive oil, sea salt, and rosemary and a few cloves of garlic to toss; Roast on parchment paper in the oven on 425 degrees until tender.

To prepare cous cous, buy vegetable broth and prepare the cous cous as directed with the broth instead of with water and toss with a little sea salt at the end. Serve the vegetables over the cous cous -- it is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS, so easy, quick to make, and makes a MEAL! We make 2 or 3 pans of roasted vegetables at a time and a huge pot of cous cous for left overs.

I do not have a recepie but PLEASE, please understand that you may be better off bringing something in from a Vegan place ... your food is "contaminated" in the eyes of many vegans ... there is too much of an opportunity for cross contamination of food and they may not be willing to eat it. It is kind of like making food for my jewish friends who eat Kosher ... I simply order in for them so they can eat w/out me having to freak out about the details of Kosher cooking.

Hi Lucky,
Vegetarian is easier than vegan since vegan is no animal by products. I do vegetarian meals for my son and I about once a week - lasagna, baked macaroni - but they include cheese. So I would go with a veggie stir fry with a brown rice or quiona - use olive or sesame oil, and lots of fresh herbs.

Also, I think it would be fine to ask them to bring a dish to share. In my family we all being something to the holiday meal. :)

God Bless

1 / 3