B.V. asks from Lake Villa, IL on May 04, 2007
I am currently 12 weeks pregnant and have an 11 month old daughter. I had to have an emergancy C-section with the first pregnancy and hated the recovery! I really want to try to have the second vaginally but am nervous about the risks associated with it. The thing that worries me the most is that not much time has passed since the C-section and I am afraid of uterine rupture and complications if my uterus is not strong enough! When I told my doctor that I wanted a VBAC, he was supportive but did say that there are increased risks that we would need to go over. He explained that we would not be able to use pitocin (no complaints from me) if I am having a slow progression and that if it doesn't appear to go well, I would need a repeat C-section. I would like to hear from mom's who had there second child in a close time frame that were able to have the second vaginally after C-section. I really want to do this and just want some encouragement!! :)
Thanks so much!
T.F. answers from Chicago on May 05, 2007
I didn't personally have a VBAC but I supported a mom as her doula. It was amazing. e-mail me!!
Also, read Henci Goer's "A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" to learn more about VBAC risks.
J.A. answers from Chicago on May 08, 2007
I also had a c-section with my first, then with my second I wanted to VBAC. I felt very strongly that is what I wanted and my Drs were supportive but also cautious. They informed me that if everything went smoothly and I went into labor naturaly I could VBAC. The problem was they said no induction. So we waited and at 39 weeks my water broke, went into labor and had my daughter in about 6 hours.
I would advise you to be strong with what you want but be able to change if the situation is not right.
B.M. answers from Chicago on May 04, 2007
Congrats on your pregnancy. I my 2 were 3 years apart, but after my first, my midwife said that as long as we gave my uterus at least a year to heal, then the risk of uterine rupture went down a lot. Just wanted to add that - you are close to the 1 year mark!
Even though I waited longer, I still had the same concerns. I had an amazing birth experience with my VBAC (1st delivery was an emergency c/s as well). Just wanted to be a cheerleader for you. If you want to do this, then do it. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't!
Best of Luck!
K.Z. answers from Chicago on May 05, 2007
I had an emergency c-section with my first as well. I had a vbac with my second and things went fine. If your doctor is comfortable with performing one and your body is strong enough, I would recommend it. Recovery is much easier! I am expecting again however, and they don't want me to do it again. They don't think this time I will handle it well, due to scarring I have. i thik that it is a personal choice. Good luck in youe decision.
G.M. answers from Chicago on May 05, 2007
I have 4 children, and I have a friend that just had her 4th. She had a c-section with her 1st and delivered all 3 after as VBAC with the same midwife I used, Kathy Puls, at Evanston Hospital. Hope all goes well!
A.K. answers from Chicago on May 04, 2007
I completely understand where you are coming from. I have a 20 month old son who was born at 32 weeks by emergency csection. I wanted to have a VBAC with my second child who is now 4 months old. I was scared about the pitocin and uterine rupture. I got to 9 months with her and was still going to try a VBAC, but they did an ultrasound and she was almost 9 lbs and still very high with my dilation or contractions at all. Since, they couldn't give me the amount of pitocin that I needed to be safe and with her getting bigger, I decided on another csection. The second one wasn't bad as the first one. I really think if your doctor supports it and if the hospital is aware of your previous csection, then you should be fine. I wanted so bad to have a VBAC, but I was also afraid of any problems that would arise. I think you can be positive and know if things are slow that you will have to have a csection. I took it hard, because I didn't feel like a real women/mother since I didn't get to experience the birth or the bonding right away with the first one. Able to bond in the recovery room with the second one. Good luck
C. answers from Chicago on May 04, 2007
My boys are 19 months apart. My doctor said pretty much the same as yours did when I said I wanted to do VBAC. Overall, they were quite supportive. However, I then HAD to have a second c-section because my second was breach, as my first had been. Just wanted to let you know that if you DO need a second c-section, recovery for the second was SOOOOO much faster. I was back to normal within a couple weeks having to remind myself not to lift heavy things or move furniture, whereas at about 6 months after my first I was wondering if my body would EVER go back to "normal". I felt much better after the second. Best wishes to you!!
E.R. answers from Chicago on May 04, 2007
I have not done it (yet!) but I am hoping for a VBAC with this baby. I, too, amm 12 weeks pregnant. I have a 17 month old boy that was born via c section after being induced at 38 weeks due to preeclampsia. I really don't have any experience to offer, but I am right there with you and I will be here to cheer you on! The biggest thing is having a doctor who is supportive. Have you checked out ICAN? There is a group that meets in Batavia, I think. I could not go last month due to morning (all day) sickness. But I am hoping to start going to meetings soon.
WE CAN DO THIS!!!!! :)
K.S. answers from Chicago on May 05, 2007
Hi-- I didn't have mine too close together, I think my daughter was almost 20 months when I got pregnant with my second. I did have a csection the first time due to a breech presentation and did have a VBAC with my second pregnancy with successs! The interesting thing is I was told they couldn't use pitocin either, but once I was in active labor--and dilated to 5 cm I kind of stalled out, which worried me and made me think I was headed for another csection, but my doc put a uterine monitor on me to monitor the contractions closely and they did a small bit of pitocin at a time to help created slightly stronger contractions to keep the dilating on track. I have to wonder if I stalled out because of my epidural--which they will insist you have--I didn't get mine until I was at 5cm, but they said in case of complications it needs to be placed. I have to say it may the whole thing so pleasant--the whole experience was a million times better than the first time around in surgery! So I guess my message to you is--they have ways of making VBACs safe, and as long as you have your baby at a major medical center (one with emergency care), they can offen deliver healthy babies and keep moms healthy even if something (god forbid) does go wrong. Another thing to remember is that women have uterine ruptures that have never had c-sections. And the chance of this happening is only 1% if you have had a c-section. Good luck, I hope you get your VBAC! Think positive thoughts!