O.G. asks from Encino, CA on May 01, 2007
Vbac - Encino,CA
Does anyone have any experience with VBACs? How did you decide to do or not do a VBAC?
S.A. answers from Las Vegas on May 03, 2007
Hi O.. I had three successful VBACs after an emergency cesarean because my daughter was breach. Of course, she is almost 15 now and my youngest is 7. Doctors have started practicing "CYA" medicine instead of evidence based because of all the lawsuits that have come from unsuccessful VBACs that were botched. In some cases, if they had left the woman to go into labor on her own instead of inducing her, there would not have been complications. Some complications are caused by inductions drugs and do have a higher complication rate when used in VBAC patients. I would definitely do ALOT of research on VBAC, cesareans and induction BEFORE I made a decision about it. The best patient is an informed educated one. That allows you to take an active role in the planning of your birth and also in the care you receive. If you do decide you want a VBAC, I would research the healthcare provider that you are using. My doctor basically "allowed" me to have VBACS my way because I was educated and wouldn't take no for an answer. I had no reason to sue because I was actively taking responsibility for the decisions made in the birth of my own child. I did not think "doctor knows best" at any time in my birth. I trusted my doctor but understood that ultimately, the hospital and the doctor are not allowed to do anything without my informed consent. My other suggestion would be to contact a doula who will have many resources for you on VBACs along with suggestions on what you can do to make yours successful. She will also be there through your pregnancy for emotional support. I was a doula and am now a nursing student and I can tell you from experience that the doula is the ONLY person in the delivery room that will be solely focused on YOU. Even dad gets side tracked when the baby is born but the doula still focuses on your needs and do their best to make sure that your child's birth is exactly what you wanted it to be. If you email me privately, I also have some resources on VBAC of my own that I would be glad to share with you. :) Best of luck to you. Ultimately, the decision for a VBAC or a cesarean is your own and don't let anyone make you feel rotten about your decision. It is yours and NO ONE else's.
D.P. answers from San Diego on May 03, 2007
I decided that I was cheated the first time with a c-section. I set my mind on VBAC. I wrote a little labor plan for the nurses and doctor to see that I was serious, But not willing to risk lives. The hospital was very supportive and my daughter was born naturally. My children are four years apart.
There were minor complications(large baby). But a nurse came in and worked her magic, if you can call it that. In the end I have a healthy 22month old, and isn't that what is really important.
V.G. answers from San Diego on May 02, 2007
Like everyone else, I was given the option of VBAC with my second child. Which I was excited at first about, but then they told me that I had to sign waiver forms stating I do not hold them responsible for anything that happened during labor. I have heard of success stories with VBAC, but the idea of the possibilty of something going wrong, scared me enough to not to!
Good luck on your decision!
K.F. answers from Stockton on May 02, 2007
I have 3 kids, all c-sections. My first I was fully dilated within 4 hrs. My contractions started 5 min. apart. I had an emergency c-section, where I was put all the way out. Later the Dr. told me there was absolutely no way I could have delivered naturally and that if I ever had a child lgr that 7 1/2 lbs. My frame is just too sm. My second child I had a different ins. They made me do VBAC. My water broke 4 weeks early and I wasn't progressing of softened yet. After being induced and relaxed I closed back up. I had another emergency c-section. My third I scheduled the c-section for several reasons. First, I didn't want to go through all the work and then feeling like I failed b/c of a c-section. 2nd I had 2 boys and knew it was a girl. I was done with babies, I wanted my tubes tyed and I knew my ins. would pay for it all. With my daughter I was dilated at a 7 within 2 hours. I still opted for the c-section even though she came a week earlier. If you get your paperwork turned into the hospital on time it won't matter if the baby comes before it's scheduled. Up until the very end I still had a choice. When my water broke w/my daughter. The nurse asked me if I still wanted my c-section. With my last one I had a very good positive experience. I believe that's what is most important. I doesn't matter how you have a baby as long as it's a positive, rewarding experience and as long as your baby is healthy no matter how they get into this world. The decision is totally up to you. Good Luck.
A.S. answers from Reno on May 02, 2007
I had an emergency c-section with my son, 5 weeks early. I had no contractions, no loss of my plug or my water, never even had a cramp before he was born. I was loosing amniotic fluid slowly internally and that's why I was never able to experience child birth. I sometimes think back and wish I was able to have a little something that would tell me he was coming, however, in the long run, I was blessed to not have those pains.. I wouldn't trade my healthy son for the possiblity of something going wrong the second time bc I wanted to try VBAC. There are too many documented cases of complications with that. Yes, I know there are a ton of cases showing complications after a c-section as well, but we live in a day in age where there are so many new technologies that help the patients experience a wonderful birth through c-sections that are safe and harmless. I would just make sure you know all the facts before you start weighing in on them. I n the end it is only your decision and you are the only person who can decide what is right for your body. Good luck with trying for #2, I'm also trying for #2, so I feel the anxiety and happiness of trying, good luck again!!
A.R. answers from San Francisco on May 03, 2007
I just had my 2nd successful vbac 2 wks ago, my other was March 1 2005 with my daughter. My first (now 13) was breech so I had a scheduled C-section. I decided based on the confidence that my C scar was horizontal (not an emergency) and based on the success of my hospital with vbacs and the desire to avoid the risks of major surgery. I had to change hospitals to go with one who could accommodate the vbac protocol which is to be ready for emergency surgery with 24/7 staffing for that. I am thrilled with my decision and never felt worried about the risks of vbac vs those of major surgery. Good luck!
D.B. answers from Los Angeles on May 02, 2007
I have 4 kids. 30,28,14,and 11. Mine have all been c-section. I was offered natural birth with my 14 and 11 year old, but I am a chicken a heart. Why go through the pain? It is much easier to schedule a c-section than to endure several hours of torture when you don't have too. My first labor was so painful that I do not think I would have had anymore children if I thought that I had to go through labor again. They say that you forget, but I never did. My fist c-section was an emergency one after 28 hours of labor and only dialating to 7.
Continuing with c-sections was a no-brainer for me.
Good luck with your decision,
E.G. answers from Los Angeles on May 03, 2007
I had my 1st baby by c-section and went on to have my next three VBAC. I personally highly recommend vaginal over a section. Here is how I came to the decision... I did a ton of research. I found that all the risk they refer to about uterine rupture is really more statistical than real threat. A woman with no prior pregnancy (and therefore no prior uterine incision) has a 1 in 1000 risk of uterine rupture. The risk for a woman who has a prior vaginal delivery is slightly higher than that. A woman who has a VBAC has a 3-4 in 1000 chance of uterine rupture. Now uterine rupture is not a good thing but even if it does happen it can be handled safely if you choose a facility that has the ability to do a c-section in under 15 minutes. This means that you should choose a hospital with a 24 hour emergency staff dedicated to Labor and Delivery. They should have an anesthesiologist and OB at the hospital at all times. Once you have that covered the risk to mother and child is really minimal. The hospital will probably want to monitor you and the baby more closely than someone with no prior history of c-section but that is really a good thing as it further reduces the risk. Good luck with your decision and what ever you do decide please be confident about it. Nothing can hamper labor like fear and indecision!