Vasectomy Reversal

My husband was clipped at a young age. We have two kids and were thinking about having one more...in about 9 years. The doctor warned us that we would want another one simply because we couldn't have one. Well, as usual, the doctor was right..but not anytime soon. We want to wait, definitely.
Have any of you ladies had a man who has had a successful vasectomy reversal?
Have any of you had one that was unsuccessful? Painful? Recovery time?

Basically just tell me all your knowledge and your experience with it. Thanks ahead of time!

A couple that is close to my family and we have known for years went through this. The husband was clipped a long time before they were married. He had the reversal and although it took over a year of trying they ended up with 2 beautiful children. As far as I know he didn't have any adverse side effects. They did consult their doctor about fertility drugs just in case but they didn't need to go that route.

Good luck!!

There are several doctors in the area that are lower in cost. I also have a link to a VR board which has a lot of information on it. It is on iVillage - You can put in a search for vasectomy reversal. Here are some doctors ...

Dr. Bird - We used him and love him! $4500 all inclusive and he puts your DH under for the procedure. If you pay in cash for the SA - they are $35 at a Scott & White facility. Here is his link...

http://www.sw.org/web/patientsAndVisitors/iwcontent/publi...

Dr. Leverett - he keeps you awake and he does it has a ministry with the wife usually seated at her hubbs head. He has a new partner that does it as well. It really depends on if you want to be awake during the reversal or not.

http://www.reversals.com/about.html

www.vas-reversals.com.

There is also Dr. Wilson who is in Oklahoma. He is about $1700.

http://www.microvasreversal.com/

On the ivillage board, all of these doctors have been used and with success. You can also find much higher rates from 10-15K for a reversal. I would also suggest that it be done as soon as possible so that you limit scarring over and other issues. Dr. Bird has a sheet on his website that lists out all his patients and their success rate.

Feel free to email me at kmcintosh at msn dot com.

Morning Shae;

Yes, I have a close friends that they had one boy, he had
a vas and then his wife said she wanted another, so, he
had it undone and they had another boy. Again he had a vas and after a couple of years she said she wanted a girl, which is why they had it undone the first time. So he again had a reversal vas and they got lucky and she had a girl.

I do not know how painful it was but he had it undone twice.
Don't wait 9 years, too many things can happen, two to three years is a nice gap!
B. C.

I know 2 people who have had a reversal that was sucessful. One was my brother and he had 2 babies after his reversal.

Good luck!!

My husband had his vasectomy reversed so we could have our two sons... Obviously successfully! There was, I believe, some pain for a few days (he wasn't admitting it, as it was his choice to have the surgery!), but he healed quickly. Our first son was born less than 2 years later...

I recommend that your husband not get the vasectomy. If you plan to wait years, your chance of a successful reversal diminishes as time goes by. We have friends trying to get pregnant after a reversal - 9 years after the surgery. They have not been successful and may have to do IVF to get pregnant. It's been very stressful for them, not to mention expensive! I would recommend speaking to your OB about a long term birth control option, like and IUD or implant. Good luck!

I had friend just go through the procedure about a year and a half ago. His wife just gave birth to a precious little boy! There is a doctor here in New Braunfels that is very well known. His name is Cary Leaverett. He is known for the least amount of pain and good reversal rates. Just thought I'd share!
New Braunfels

My DH just had one done and I read your post and his mouth dropped then I read Bill's post and he teared up and got really pail. I don't think this would be an option for us. LOL.
I wish you the best of luck, but if you are not wanting a chils for 9 years, I would wait until you are ready to try and revisit the subject. Think of all of the medical advances they will have by then! I'm sure it will be better than it is now, though the current stats look pretty promising. Maybe by then they will be able to make it painless too. :)

1 / 3