Vaporizor Left Streaks Coming down My Painted Walls...=(

We've been running a vaporizor in my 13 mo old's room for her cough...it's now (because of the steam) left large streaks running down the walls. I washed them off this morning, but they are still there. Any suggestions (besides re-painting?) on how to get rid of these streaks? We are NON-smokers (i don't let anyone near hear that smokes nor has anyone ever smoked in our home...it's just from the steam off of the vaporizor - the room gets steamy warm and water just slides down the wall leaving streaks (paint is only about 8 months old on the walls...)

I read most of the responses and disagree with many. My ex-husband and I had the same problem. We are not smokers, we used the magic eraser to have it take paint off the walls and leave the finnish weird, Fantastik, 409, Lysol, and Mr. Clean, nothing removed the difference in paint colors. We repainted and moved the vaporizer into the center of the room. It has something to do with the heat, water, and paint. We had well water and it bleached out where the drips were (hard water sometimes doeas that). We could not fix it unless we painted it or put up a border. I used cheap paint the first time, so I used a better paint the next time.

I cannot help in removing the streaks, but for preventing them. Try leaving her door open. My neighbor had this problem, and told me she always closed her daughters door. I told her to open it, and the problem went away. Too much moisture build up!

Hi Jeremy-C.,

If you can, relocate the vaporizer a little farther from the walls when in use. You can always push it back into a corner or closer to the wall during the hours when you're not using it.

White vinegar and water may work...maybe a 1/2 to 1 cup of vinegar to 1 gal. of water for starters. Baking soda and water also.

White vinegar & water is also great for cleaning & shining stainless steel appliances & fixtures too!

Hope this works...painting over again sure is a lot of work!

Sincerely,

M. F

I have this same problem with the low-gloss paint in our living room. I am going to try the solution I just read about in my new Green Cleaning book. Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup borax
1 Tbsp clean household ammonia
1/4 cup vinegar
1 gallon warm water

In a large bucket mix all the ingredients. Apply the solution to the wall with a clean sponge. Use a second clean sponge to rinse the wall with plain water. Here's the kicker, just like a car: To minimize streaking, start at the bottom of the wall and work your way up.

I hope this helps!

-C..

The same thing happened to us (no smoking in our house either). I washed it and then not knowing what to do just left it because it wasn't too bad so I'm not much help to you there. I was assuming that it had done something to the paint that I wouldn't be able to remove. But I would suggest that you put the vaporizer in the middle of the room, turn it lower if you can, and maybe crack the door till you get the right balance of steam that won't wreak havoc on your walls. That's what we did in our second nursery and we haven't had any problems.

I was reading the responses you have gotten -
1. If you use the magic eraser (wonderful product!), do not allow the kids to touch it! It has some chemicals in it (not listed on the package) that cause horrible chemical burns on skin.
2. Steam vaporizors aren't recommended due to bacteria that can build up in them. They recommend the cool-mist vaporizors.

The streaks could be mold growth. Have you tried a bleach solution? Make sure that the humidity isn't really high in the room, and keep the steam directed towards the center, away from the walls. My son had asthma from birth on, so I have lots of experience with resperatory symtoms. Good luck.

oh no! have you ever used those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers? they are miraculous! i've used them on many, many stains and they always seem to come up. try them! good luck!

1 / 3