Valerian for Toddler?

I am going to call my dr. if I can use valerian to help my toddler sleep. He sleeps great once he's asleep, the issue is getting him to start slowing down to sleep. We've tried everything in the book and I've heard moms use this for their toddlers, to those who does, can you pls share your experience before I even contact my Dr.? Which valerian do you use, the drops or tea? Thanks, my son is 3 years old.

I never gave this to my son and did not have to bring it up with his ped either. He is still super hyper but more of an schedule now, I just made sure he is super active and gets all his energy out in the day time and he's still hyper but he sleeps fine, the key is getting him to bed early because there is a long routine to get him down, pajamas, he wants milk or juice before bed, then toothbrushing and we read him 5 books a night so it's lots of steps to get him to bed to key is to start it early. Thanks, mamas!

Valerian in young age can cause predisposition to varicose veins in adulthood. Try not to consult MD who does not have extensive knowledge of herbs. Find out first how long the doc in question was studying herbology (not pharmacology of herbs). Somebody with Herbology School education will serve you better.
V.

Hi GJ,

Valerian is by far the safest sleep aid there is. There have been peer reviewed studies (2 if my memory serves me) that show that valerian is safe in children 3 and older that have insomnia. It doesn't really sound like your little one has insomnia but is just having trouble winding down to relax enough to sleep. The valerian will relax him and it will probably help but it is most effective when used long term. SH recommended the "Warm Milk" by Animal Parade (a recognized brand in good health stores). Check that out and see if that might be a short term fix before you decide to begin a long term regimen.

If you're willing to try something else before supplementation, my first recommendation for you is to see what is winding him up to the point that he can't get to sleep. I find that kids like that are usually highly stimulated by their environment. I removed all the chemicals (a complete detox) from my home and my youngest actually had her diagnosis of ADHD removed. If you're interested and would like more information, get back to me. I've seen it help in every situation that I have come in contact with. It's really quite simple and inexpensive the way I did it.

God bless,

Like Mimi, I've seen kids get really hyper because of chemicals in their environments. I'm chemically sensitive, and get too tense and jazzed up to sleep for up to two or three days if I've gotten a big exposure to someone's perfume, common air "fresheners," fabric softeners and many household cleaning products.

Also, try to keep your son away from TV or computer screens within 2 hours of bedtime. Much of the light they give off is in the blue end of the spectrum, which prevents the brain from producing melatonin, the natural hormone that promotes sleep. Lots of activity outdoors during the day, on the other hand, tends to help the brain set normal sleep patterns.

Valerian should be safe, starting with small doses. Be aware that children often have a contradictory response to stimulant or sedative medications and herbs (the opposite effect an adult would get).

A safer thing would be, the kids vitamin brand "Animal Parade." They have something called "Warm Milk."
You can find it at Whole Foods or natural food stores or online like at Amazon.

My daughter was great at settling down for bedtime when she was about six months old. Because of our teen son's athletic schedule we threw her off schedule around 9 months and she was a bear to settle down every since. She is now almost 4 and we believe we have finally tamed the bear. It is not perfect but MUCH better than before. Here is what we did:

Her new daycare is more challenging than her old one (loved the old one but there was no curriculm and I believe she was BORED!) so we think she is more mentally tired when she comes home. We insure that she has her bath before that very fine window of opportunity (you know, when she is tired and may lay down but before she is over tired and can't settle down). For us, that time is bath by 8 pm so she will be asleep by 8:30 pm. If we miss this, she is still wired when we go to bed.

She has always been a night owl but will then sleep through the night. If we don't have her asleep by 9 pm she is a bear in the am. I know it sounds late but if she goes down any earlier, she is awake WAY too early.

Another thing we did just before the daycare switch was we removed all the toxic chemicals in our home...we swithched to non-toxic cleaning products, shampoos, toothpaste, laundry detergent...everything.

I don't personally agree with giving kids something to sleep (unless there is a medical reason) because then they become dependant on it. I do know that friends of my sister have given their kids Melatonin. My sister's doctor said it was safe and she did research it...supposed to be a vitamin that is safe. I don't have any first hand knowledge but was told to be sure they have at least 8 hours to sleep if you give it (sister said more like 10 hours). I would think if you were going to give something a vitamin would be better than regular medication but either way use caution.

Are you serious? I am amazed at how easy people make decisions to use medications in children and in ourselves. Valerian is a drug! There is no such thing as a SAFE drug! How is druging him going to teach him how to fall asleep on his own?

V.

I have not used valerian but have used the liquid melatonin to help my baby sleep when he was having sleep issues. I used an eighth of the dosage recommended children for only a week to get his sleep patterns established. It worked like a charm. I just put the stated amount in his bottle so it was easy to give to him too.

We use a teaspoon to a tablespoon of liquid Calcium/Magnesium from Bluebonnett or Lifetime (blueberry flavor) at night, which is a natural muscle relaxant and nervous system relaxant AND kids need more of it during growth spurts or they can become restless. We use the CalMag and sometimes give them Calms Forte 4 Kids for the younger ones and my son who just turned 8 uses a product called Baldrian+ from Vitaminerals. We don't use Melatonin since if there is no pineal issue, the Melatonin can jack it up. We had a couple of friends who used the Melatonin with their kids, 3 of them slept worse after they had taken the Melatonin and another did well....so it appears that only 1 of them needed Melatonin.

You might want to try the CalMag at dinner before adding Valerian.

Oh, we also use Cortisol Manager from Integrative Therapuetics for our older one.

1 / 3