Valerian for Insomnia? What Are the Pros and Cons?

Does it work? Pls tell me your opinion, I need to get a good night sleep, how much did you take in terms of miligrams? Thanks.

I have insomnia and no it didn't work for me :0( I do have friends though that really think Melatonin helps.

I'm not aware of any cons...or side effects. My sister takes Valerian Root and Melatonin. She also cut out caffeine and doesn't eats sweets or simple carbs (white pastas, white bread, processed food) after 3:00 and eats magnesium rich foods. It has helped her a lot. Good luck!

I'm sure there will be a variety of responses to your question.

Me personally, I absolutely LOVE Valerian Root. I don't need help falling asleep, I need help staying asleep. I think the Phyto Caps work the best. Actually, I prefer any liquid form over dry. I never have any residual feeling in the morning, like one does after Tylenol PM. And for the best sleep ever, try a cup of chamomile tea and a hot bath, before the Valerian root. I take 2 caps.

OTH, Melatonin does absolutely NOTHING for me. Any form, any dose, anytime.

And, a girlfriend, has the exact opposite responses to the two choices.

So, you might want to consider trying the other if Valerian doesn't help.

I have used Valerian root in conjunction with other meds that I have taken the last few years and have not had any side effects either.

Sweet Dreams!

I found Valerian works but it makes me feel a bit "hungover" in the morning. I like Tryptophan. This one is the BEST!

http://www.marketamerica.com/product-10104/isotonix-ltryp...

i sometimes suffer from insomnia..you have to try to get to bed at the same time every night..also try sleeping with your head at the foot of the bed and your feet at the head of the bed..to change things up..sometimes that really relaxes me..i haven't taken Valerian..but i have taken Melatonin..i bought mine at Target..when i need it i take 3..also try stretching before bed...i also try to imagine being somewhere really cozy..and i come up with cute places..usually a fire is going..kooky stuff like that..but it takes my mind off things ..my mom swears by saying "na na na na na" over and over to drown out thoughts..also i used to struggle at sleep when i wore underwear to bed..i can't have anything putting pressure on my tummy area..so if u sleep with underwear on ..try not doing so..ok..

good luck..hope you get some sleep

xo

I just recently swore off my tylenol p.m., and have been on valerian root for a few days, i dont always need help sleeping but i am very energetic and usually do, i am loving the results. I take a GABA with it, but ive been taking that for years to "calm down", valerian root makes me more tired than tylenol p.m..

Hi R.,

Valerian is used as more of an herb to calm you down .. melatonin is a much more affective sleep aid.

Good luck, I know what it's like to be STARVING for sleep ..

I personally LOVE it. It works wonders for me. I am nursing now so I wont use it until he is weaned. The thing I like about it is that it relaxes me as well as helps me fall asleep. So when I have worries that are cycling in my head, it seems to ease that and allow me to drift off to dreamland. I also dont feel groggy the next day, which is important.

1 / 3