Vaccum for Wood Floors

Does anyone have any suggestions for a vacuum to use on wood floors? I was thinking of looking into a canister, but I am not sure if they perform well. I am looking for good suction, easy to use, and compact for storage reasons. I have a sweeper vac to use each night for touch ups, but I am in need of a good vacuum for the every few days or so to avoid sweeping. We have about 1000 square feet of wood floors...gets very tiring! Any suggestions would be great.

Hi T.,

We have a cleaning business and use whatever vacuum cleaner the homeowner has, so we've used a lot of different types. We like the Dysons (expensive) and also the Hoover Windtunnel.

Windstar. It is a cannister vacuum which is what you want for a wood floor so you don't scratch them. We have all wood floors with some area rugs & a carpet runner on the stairs. It has excellent attachments for the carpets also.

T.,

I work for a hardwood flooring company and we use back pack vacuums. They're sort of awkward at first, but have great suction and work on carpet (although they're harder to use on carpet that's not "flat"). Let me know if you want more info!

I lOVE my Dyson. It switches from hardwood/ceramic tile floors to carpet in a flash. Plus all the tools are on board and the hose goes all the way up the stairs so I don't have to hold the vacuum while I'm going up the stairs. The one bummer about it is that it doesn't quite go under the countertops. I always go back with the hose after and get under the counters. It empties very easily and I think it's pretty light. Good luck!

I hate my Dyson! In my opinion it does a poor job on hardwood floors and that is the majority of my floor space.
I love the Rainbow vac that my mom has. It does beautifully with hardwood. My sister has the Shark steam vac and loves it! I am definitely going to get one!
A vaccum is a long term relationship, make sure you get one that you love! If you can borrow a vac that you are considering from a friend that would be ideal.
I vaccum all the time with my Dyson and when I borrow my mom's Rainbow system it picks up massive amounts of dirt! It's as if I never cleaned! Yuck!
Good luck in your quest!

I have an oreck that self adjusts from carpet to wood. I've used it (2-3 times a week) for 8 years and have had no complaints. Also, we have a roomba (check it out online). We LOVE it. his name is fred, we pick up the floor of toys, loose rugs, etc...leave, come home and the floor is CLEAN. So worth every penny. I can even vac then run the roomba and he fills the canister, even though I think we're a fairly clean family (only eating in specified areas, shoes off in the house...) Good luck with your search.

When we had hard wood floors, we purchased a panasonic vacuum that could vacuum carpet and not carpet. About 10 years ago it was around $300. I hope that helps.

We have a friend who owns an organic cleaning business in Minneapolis. She turned me on to Miele vacuums, and I am so glad she did! They have awesome suction, don't clog, and are very easy to use. Ours has automatic cord rewind, adjustable suction (great for small rugs), adjustable handle lengths, and various attachment. Thay are a bit pricey. We found a floor model on sale, but they work SOOOO well. Our home is almost entirely wood and tile floors. I use it all over, and have had our vacuum for nearly 6 years with no problems at all. We own 3 retail stores, and I've gone through a lot of vacuums over the years. This is by far my favorite. They are a German canister vacuum, and a bit hard to find. I would also highly recommend Boma swivel brooms with the microfiber heads. I know you can order them through Gaiam...not sure where else. They are quick and work very well for small jobs, and can be used with wood floor spray to polish and pick-up spills. Hope this helps!

We have a Dyson for our hardwood and it works great!

1 / 3