Vacation Ideas for Parents with Toddlers

Hi
I am wondering if anyone has had any great vacation destinations. We have already been Walt Disney in Florida. At the time of our travel our children will be almost 3 and 1 years old. We don't want to fly but are not against driving a distance if the experience is worth it! I have tried to do searches but am having a hard time deciding if the entire family would enjoy it. We would be going this fall. Any thoughts would be great.
THANK YOU!!

I've been to Hilton Head, and it's wonderful, safe and family friendly. Also, how 'bout the local places, one a day maybe?? Crayola factory, Science museums in Philly, Cherry Blossom Festival in Reading? for instance...
smiles,
L., 39
Brianna 21m & yes! still bf'ing!
and baby
butterflylindamarie at yahoo dot com

We like the Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos. There is a waterpark in the hotel, and only hotel guests can utilize it. There is also other things to do in the area of the Poconos. There is a story time in the evening at the hotel and it is a really fun time for all.

The Outer Banks, as everyone else has mentioned, is also a really family friendly place.

Tara is right. I have a 5 year and an 18 month old. The Outer Banks of North Carolina is great. We rent a home as close to the beach as possible. Book well in advance. We try and rent on the beach, since we have two children then one of us can run the older one down to the beach and still be close enough to run down and meet them with the younger one or walk back for a nap. Depending on what you are looking for will decide where to go in the Outer Banks. We go all the way down to Frisco which is at the end of Hatteras Island, there are two islands, Roanake (where Kill Devil and Kitty Hawk are) and Hatteras Island. Roanoke is for those who really need lots of services and the crowded beach type atmosphere with lots of people and chotchki. Hatteras is for those who wish to get away. There are plenty of restaurants and attractions just not the craziness of Roanoke. Down on Hatteras Island they also have a Kids Club through Hatteras Realty for $25 a day. They take them crabbing, mini golf, swimming and include a Subway Lunch. My son has done it and we plan on doing it again this year, he loves it. Make sure to take the ferry to Ocracoke Island where things are a lot slower and eat at the Flying Melon. My son had the offer of Disneyland this year and he chose the Outer Banks over Disney. I am glad, because I have heard don't waste your time with Disney until both your children are at least 4 or 5. They just don't last and you are prone to frustration trying to get such a small child to enjoy so much. It is overstimulating for children that young. Just look around Disney and you see all the mad parents with their crying frustrated children. Save it for when they can appreciate and enjoy the activities, it is just not designed for children that young. I really want to take them to Disney but I want it to be magical like it was for me. So I have chosen to wait.

We took my son up near Lake Erie (Sandusky area) to some of the water parks. There are lots of them up there and they are a ton of fun! There is also the Erie Zoo near by and some other local attractions. It is a great time! We have gone up there twice, once when he was 1 and once when he was 2.

A Mother's Boutique
Breastfeeding clothing, nursing bras, breastpumps, slings and accessories
MamaSource members save 10% off their first order (excluding breastpumps) using promo code MAMASOURCE.
http://www.mothersboutique.com

My girlfriend was just her from Michigan for a week. We both have sons that are nearly 5, and I have a daughter who turned 1 today. We had a blast taking the boys to all of the local places. Since we live in York, there are LOTS of places that are a relatively short distance. We went to Hershey for a day. We took the factory tour at Chocolate World, and the Trolley Tour, although I probably wouldn't recommend that until your little ones are older. We also went to the Crayola Factory for a day, and the boys loved all of the hands-on stuff. We are already planning to do an overnight to New York next time so that we can take the boys to the Corning Museum of Glass. There's also Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Baltimore and Washington D.C. that are all only 1-3 hours away. This summer we're hoping to go to Kalihari in Sandusky, Ohio as that will be a central location for both of us, and we can go during the week with the kids while the hubby's are working. Good luck making a decision. Hope you all have a GREAT time!

We like Knoebles park you can pay per ticket for rides or get day passes...If grown ups arent going to ride you dont have to pay! There are also a few campgrounds around. We made it a camping/2 day amausement park vacation lots of fun. We also like to go to Otter Lake campground in the Poconos, they have a beach/swim area, pools, fishing, paddle boats and activities. If you go to Baltimore Port Discovery is a lot of fun! Philadelphia has the Please Touch Museum great for young kids! We do a lot of day trips because it is less stress for our family and it is hard to get daddy for more than 2 days! Next we want to go to Great Wolf Lodge in the Pococnos! We started a money jar. We want to go in the winter for snow tubing and indoor water park! Sesame place was fun but you really have to plan the with the weather....and it was a little pricey for what it was but fun. I could go on but I gave you my favorites!

One vacation we took - My kids still go on and on about till today. Sesame Place in PA ( sesame street )- It was So much fun, and it's all based on younger kids. There are rides, water slides, shows, and of course you have the characters. We stayed there for 4 days I believe, we had a package deal threw the hotel - we got the hotel, tickets for sesame, sticker for the kids and a autograph book with a neat pen - for like 450 - 500 $$.
That was 2 years ago - My son was 4 and my daughter was 2 1/2, and everything they had there they both could go on, which was a plus!! We are actually looking in to going back this summer!!
Hope this helps!
A. C

smiles,
L., 39
Brianna 21m & yes! still bf'ing!
and baby
butterflylindamarie at yahoo dot com

I do not have a destination idea but rather a transportation idea. Did you think about taking a train rather than flying. With a train you can relax on your trip and pay attention to your kids, and play games. And you don't have the jet lag I have been flying all day feeling of flying. Have a great vacation!

go to the beach!!!!!!!..rent a house for a week...invite another couple to share expenses or your parents or some other help...the children will never forget this..make it a once a year ritual!!!!!!!!!!!

1 / 3