UTI In Toddler Boy?

For a week, my 3 year old (who has been potty trained since January) has been crying because he all of the sudden needs help to go pee. He hasn't said it hurts but he is holding himself like he always has to go. When I tell him to go potty, he cries and says he doesn't have to. When he finally does go, he won't do it unless I am right there with him. Anyhow, my mom had him Monday and said he went pee 12 times in one day, a little at a time. My in-laws had him today and said he was constantly on the potty. Anyhow, no fever, no funny odor (that I have noticed), no apparent pain or burning but he DOES seem to be afraid to go.
I have never had one so I don't know what they feel like, nor has my daughter so I am not really familiar with the symptoms. Do boys get UTIs and is this what it sounds like?
Thanks in advance for any helpful advice or experience!

Thanks so much for all the great advice. His urinalysis (culture isn't completed yet) came back fine. I talked to the doctor yesterday and we are going with the constipation diagnosis. I wouldn't have known to bring up the constipation with him if it hadn't been for a couple of you. We're also thinking it could be why my 8 year old still wets the bed. I would never have linked the two problems but it makes complete sense. Thanks so much!

Hi L., I am grandma of 4 mother of 2 could easily be kidney infection. Would take him to Dr..I have had kidney stones several times and it is horrible. Friend daughter had a stone at nine months , poor baby was tested for several days before they found them in her. P.

Yes, toddler boys can and do get bladder infections. My son did at the same age. My grandson was also diagnosed as a "nervous piddler" at about the same age. He had to go all the time, just a bit at a time. He got over it quickly after it was determed there was no medical problem. As a mom of two boys and grandma of three kids, I say take him to be seen. Better safe than sorry! I, myself, have have two bladder infections this year already, after many years without a problem.

My 6 year old had a similar problem and it ended up being constipation(sounds weird, right??). Anyway, after taking my son to the doctor, he suggested trying (I think it was metamucil) first to see if the problem went away. I then realized that I hadn't been very good about getting him fruits and veggies and I couldn't remember the last time he pooped!! So, I corrected his diet and everything is better now. My husband and I think this might be related to him wetting the bed too. Hope this helps. Oh- also- the doctor did do a quick and simple urine test to make sure it wasn't and infection.

Last year my son then 3 had the problem of wanting to go pee all the time. He would have just gone but said he had to go constantly. It was only a little at the time but it drove me nuts so I took him to the doctors office as I wondered if he had a UTI. He didnt have it but it turned out to be due to constipation. He was pooping everyday or every other day but apparently it was a little harder so he maybe he was pressing too much. Anyway, the doctor told me to start him on a course of Miralax for a few months and sure enough it worked. It has been almost 11 months now and he hasn't had that complaint since. You definitely have to get it checked out.

Yes, it is possible for anyone to get uti. Get him to the
dr. Asap.

It is very unusual, but boys DO get UTI's. My older son had 3 of them while growing up; 1 as an 8-month-old, 1 when he was in Kindgergarten, and one in fifth grade. He's 21 now, and hasn't had one since.
I will say that he had a fever each time, and required antibiotics to get well. I don't recall a smell, but it's been a long time since then. The third time, they did run some tests to make sure his bladder was normal, and they showed that everything was fine.
Please talk with your doctor TODAY, because it sounds like there could be a problem a-brewing. Good luck!

I recently had a different type of urinary infection, it involved the muscles more than the urine itself. I believe boys can get this too.
When I would go to urinate, the muscles would contract and I would feel like I was being squeezed down there beyond my control. It was really weird feeling, I would't 100% call it painful, just really weird feeling. A little medicine (which colored the urine) and it cleared in just a couple days.

My son also had this problem. There are a few things that it could be. Does he like to take bubble baths all the time? It could be an irritation from taking bubble baths. That was my son's problem. He has to take less bubble baths and if he does, not as much bubble solution. Also the play foams and coloring products for the bath tub can also cause the same irritations. Secondly, watch how he urinates. If it sprays everywhere instead of a strong stream there is a condition that small boys can get and should be taken to a doctor. Or it could be the beginnings of a UTI. Either way check with a doctor.

I'm shocked no one else has already mentioned what I'm about to tell you. It's always a possibility that he could have a UTI or bladder infection, but with no pain or anything I would doubt it.
My 3 year old niece has the same thing your son does. She was going potty a million times a day, and only a little bit at a time. My sister took her to the doctor and they said she has something called Little Big Girl Syndrome (I guess in your case it would be Little Big Boy Syndrome). All her tests for a UTI or bladder infection were normal. The doctor explained that it's very common, and when the child goes potty they are just simply not emptying their bladder completely which explains the small amount of urine a million times a day. We just encourage my niece when she goes potty to squeeze it all out so we don't have to go again in a few minutes. I would love to tell you she's doing better, but she's still the same after several months. I think it's something they just have to grow out of. Hope this info. helps! It sounds like your 3 year old son has exactly what my 3 year old niece has.

Yes, boys can get UTI's. They can also get blockages. I would make an appt and get him into see a doctor ASAP.

UTI's cause the constant urge to go to the bathroom but very little urine actually leaves the body so the urge to go persits. It also burns and stings when you do go. It can get bad enough to cause blood in the urine from the irratated tubes and tissue which leads to back ache etc. There is seldom a fever with a UTI.

P. R

1 / 3