UTI And Breastfeeding

I think I have a UTI and I am still breastfeeding my 9 month old daughter. Does anyone know if it is safe to take medication and still be able to continue breastfeeding?

What did they give you?

It depends on the medication. Many antibiotics ARE safe and FDA approved for lactating mothers.

If you're concerned, you'll want to ask your pediatrician as the health of your baby is the main concern. A pharmacist will also be able to look the information up quickly.

Be sure to mention your breastfeeding to the prescribing physician as well so they can make the best choice. I had to take naproxen while nursing my son and chose to pump and dump (using stockpiled frozen milk) while taking the medication which was necessary for an injury sustained in an accident.

Feel better soon!

For the future, you can learn about pregnancy/breastfeeding/baby and kid safe herbal remedies at the herbal medicine class at http://www.inspiredabq.com.

In many cases an herbal remedy will be a great preventative and healing option instead of pharmaceuticals.

Ask you doctor to precribe you an antibiotic that is safe to take during breastfeeding. It should be fine, but you doctor must know that you are still BFing to give you the right medicine.

Yep! Just went through it with a newborn. Just make sure that you tell your doc before they prescribe anything.

Yes, you absolutely will just make sure the doctor knows you're breastfeeding and they'll give you something appropriate. At 9 mos post partum you should see your OB for this one anyway.

1 / 3