Uterine Fibroids - Romeo,MI

At my last gyn exam, my doctor told me that I had fibroids. He said my uterus was about the size of a 6 week pregnancy. This did explain the back and hip pain I had been experiencing about a year before which my general practitioner just gave me pain pills to deal with the pain. Now, I am experiencing more pain in the back and hips, along with fullness in the abdominal area. I'm thinking that they may be growing, but I don't know if I should wait until my next exam in May, as my gyn said that we will keep monitoring it yearly. My question is, to those of you that have had fibroids, when do they become a problem and do the symptoms improve or get worse before, during or after the cycle? I hate to schedule an appointment if I'm just being paranoid. Thanks!

Thank you to everyone for their responses. It helped me realize that it is better to be safe (or paranoid) than sorry. I am making an appointment with a new doctor and I will be more demanding for answers and concern/compassion. It's amazing how helpful and caring a stranger may be. From strangers to friends - thank you!!!! I'll let you know the outcome.

Fibroids feed on hormones. I had them and both sisters have them. I am 45 and can say from my experience and research that they get worse with age - at all times of the month. Some women have them and have no pain. However, if you are already experiencing pain and other symptoms as a result, chances are it will only get worse and become more unbearable each day. You are not being paranoid. Schedule an appointment to exclude any other problems and find-out the latest in what can be done to treat the fibroids now. hysterectomy may be recommended and while not an option for all keep in mind that quality of life has to count for something. Good luck to you! Hope you are pain-free soon.

You're not being paranoid. I'm 46 now, I had everything removed 4 years ago, because of fibroids. I was in worse shape than I thought, or the doctor thought. He ended up having to bring in a second surgeon during my surgery, my uterus was attached to my bladder from endometriosis, which he didn't know going in. I had discomfort for years, just dealt with it, like you are. My uterus got to the size of a 12 week pregnancy before I found the right doctor. Its amazing how the pain can go away like it did. I have lived with so much pain for so long, at least 10 days out of every month, I just thought that was the way it was. I don't even have migrains anymore. Not that I would push surgery on you or anyone, but don't rule it out. My recovery was long, due to me being in the mess my insides were in. I had to have a cathader for a week after I finally got to come home. I planned on going back to work after 4 weeks, 10 weeks later I finally made it back. I was in great shape before the surgery, not over weight, very active, so it had nothing to do with that. I wasn't able to keep my ovaries, so I've been dealing with finding the right hormone replacements. But all in all, am I ever happy I found the doctor I did. He also made the comment to me that he could count on one hand the cases he has seen that were worse than mine, he couldnt believe I was even able to walk. Good luck to you. But I wouldn't wait for your annual if you're that uncomfortable. You don't need to be. Been there, done that:)Sue

I haven't been through your exact situation, but at one point I found myself in the emergency room in such pain that I could not even sit in a car or chair, I was literally in a fetal position. The ER doctor asked me the usual questions about my sex life and # of partners in the past 3 year (this was when I was 26) and because I had had more than 1 and wasn't sure how many my ex had had, he assumed & treated me for STDs. He didn't even do an ultrasound. Told me to follow up with my gyn in a week. When I did, she was pissed and scheduled me for an ultrasound within a couple of days. Luckily it was something simple (hemorraged ovarian cyst) and while I hurt worse than anything I had ever gone thru (or since for that matter), she put me on BC to control the cysts and regulate my majorly irregular periods.
I have since changed ob/gyns, (she moved and so did I) but I have one of the best in SE Michigan. Dr. Agosta in Shelby Twp. He is also a urologist and again one of the best! When I started having issues again, he looked at my history, did a pelvic and put me back on BC. He gave me another option that would have elemenated my periods probably altogether but not taken my ovaries, but it probably would not have been safe for me to have any more children and since I am not sure I'm done yet, my choice was to try the BC again. I am anxious to see how I feel when I get my next period (1st after restarting BC).

I have never had fibroids but my mother-in-law has. She suffered for several years with a lot of pain. Finally, about three weeks ago, the doctor said she needed a hystarectomy(sorry about the spelling). That might sound like a bad thing but she has had the surgery and is pain free. I don't know if it could have been prevented if steps were taken early on to try and get rid of them, or if anything could have been done. Before taking such drastic measures I would try homeopathy treatments. I know they are out there. One place I know to check is Herbal Healer Academy. Google it, it's a great place to get natural cures and the woman who runs it tries everything on her own family before offering it to the public.

I went through this a year ago, and since I had no plans to have anymore children I'm 42 (19 year old daughter and 16 year old son) I elected to have a hysterectomy rather than do the meds to shrink. They were able to leave the right ovary, so there is no need for hormone therapy. I was miserable prior to the operation (high blood pressure, inability to totally empty my bladder, pain). I have felt like a millon bucks since my surgery in June. Blood pressure is great, feel great and am so glad I did it.

Just a little help, you know your body better than any Doctor. If you feel that they are growing, make an appointment. Explain to them when you call what is going on and that you need to see the Doctor before your annual appt. Let me know what happens.
A.

B., you're not paranoid at all. However, I highly recommend seeing a Naturopathic Doctor that I see in Canton, Michigan if it is at all possible. Conventional medicine could not treat any of my ovary/reproductive system issues without surgery or years of meds, but this woman could and she was one of the kindest and gentlest people I've ever known. Canton is a suburb outside of Detroit. If you'd like her information, please email me. She has cured everything from arthritis to cancer and everything in between. God bless in the meantime, B. J.

B.~please get looked at ASAP. My mom who is 51 now had to have everything removed because of her fibroids. She ended up having a fibroid go from a pea size to 10cm in diameter in under a year. So please get checked sooner for your health. Just remember you know your body and if you feel as though things are getting worse get checked. Have a blessed week.

1 / 3