Using Proactive While Pregnant

I have been using Proactive for awhile and it's the only thing that can control my complexion. Since I've been pregnant I have limited the use of Proactive since it's unclear of the effects on a fetus. My current OB could not find information on Proactive when she looked it up on the FDA drug list, so she advised me to stop using it (since then I have stopped). However, my previous OB told me it was safe to use during pregnancy. Do any of you ladies have insight on the use of Proactive during pregnancy?

My OB specifically said only to use acne topicals with salicylic acid, NOT benzol peroxide--which is in proactive.

I would be cautious.

I used Proactive the entire time that I was pregnant last year---with my OB's approval. I didn't have any problems at all. I am 38 and I gave birth to a very healthy little girl that is 8 months old now.

My three daughters each have different OBs and all of them told them that the Proactive Acne System was completely safe to use during pregnancy. That should clear things up!! (sorry- bad pun)

I used it during my pregnancy and had no issues. I had one spot on my cheek that just kept breaking out badly. I, of course, asked my OBGYN and she said it was absolutely fine to use it. Hope that helps.

Eight years ago I ordered Proactiv and when I got it in the mail, there were warnings all over saying "don't use if you are pregnant, nursing." I called Proactiv immediately & said "what is in this that you don't want pregnant women to use this?" and they said if your ob says it's okay, go ahead. And I remember saying "No, if you are telling me NOT to use it & you don't know why, then I'm NOT using it!" My ob also didn't see any obvious ingredients that would keep me from using it, but I didn't research very much after I called Proactiv & with all the warnings they gave in the directions.

Since then, I have always used, until recently, Arbonne's Clear Advantage line. It's perfectly safe and the supplements are awesome. Make sure & use the supplements! I also think it helped my baby have a baby complexion too! Find a friend who has the 35% discount off of retail & you'll get a better deal. It's not that expensive and helped me tremendously during pregnancy and after! Blessings....

I thought about using this product during my pregnancy, but asked my OB...and she said no. We didn't go in to a big discussion about it, but I was ok with it because I was skipping anything that "could"/"might" have an impact on my babies. The same thing with getting a flu shot - I opted for the mercury free version "just in case".

I'm sure there are some alternatives - hopefully someone will post!

I treat women for facial problems using microdermabrasion and laser. Pregnancy can cause discoloration on your face anyway (hormones/melasma) why wud you risk it? For 9 months go without and heed your doctors advice. My personal experience is each person reacts differently to these skin treatments. You can't predict your results based on someone elses.

Hey M.,

Your current OB probably was just looking it up by the name Proactive, instead of the actual name of the medication, which is Benzoyl Peroxide. My OB said he was pretty much okay with most of the over the counter topicals for acne. Also, my dermatologist was okay with it, and even prescribed some other things to help me. I tend to trust her even more than my OB about those meds, because they study them and the latest safety/pregnancy stuff about them. I was on Retin-A for years already, and she told me to stop that. She said that even that was probably okay because less than 5% get into your bloodstream and my not even cross the placenta, but to stop it just in case because it was a retinoid. So I tend to believe her. I also did a lot of research on my own from other Dr.s/books that seem to find no evidence of Benzoyl Peroxide doing any harm.

I used to Acne Free in the evening (a generic of ProActive) during my whole pregnancy with my son. I tried to go without at first, but my skin got so much worse during pregnancy. I also used a glycolic acid gel in the morning which also seem to help.

I know a lot of people would side with not using because of the "not knowing". I guess I just think if more than one Dr. told me it was okay, I would trust them. I needed all the help I could with my self image, and you could just go crazy wondering about whether everything is safe on your skin, like sunless tanner, lotions, sunscreen, make-up or even your soap! Just listen to your Doctors, do your research and trust you instincts.

Congrats on your 3rd baby!

i actually have not even thought of it, since it is a topical ointment I have continued to use it during my pregnancy as it is the only thing that has helped my acne...I also used it during my last pregnancy with no side effects for me or my child...now i am wondering if i should have looked into it more?

I was concerned about using Proactiv as well during my pregnancy. I took all my Proactiv products to my perinatologist, who treated me during my entire pregnancy and she said they would be fine to use. I had no side effects or problems that I know of.

1 / 3