Using Portable DVD Player on Airplane Ride

My husband, kiddos and I will be taking a trip to visit family in a month or so. My son is 3 1/2 and daughter is 2 1/2. We've been thinking about bringing our portable DVD player along on the plane to occupy their attention for a bit since it will be a long plane ride. Have any of you done this? My husband is a bit concerned that the sound of the show playing will irritate other passengers. My thoughts on that-- I think they would much rather hear a slight sound of Dora the Explorer over a screaming, bored toddler! What are your thoughts?

Thanks for all of your input! I appreciate it. I will get some kid-friendly headphones (thanks for the tip about Best Buy, Victoria T!), and have them practice wearing them...

Bring headphones. Ones made for kids so they fit well and the volume is restricted to protect their hearing. I think it is rude to have games, music or videos on that others around you can hear.

I always bring a portable DVD player or my laptop to play movies on a plane ride. I would recommend headphones. They make them for two people and some DVD players can plug in two separate head sets.

Try to get kid earphones. They are smaller and cover the whole ear. I don't think I'd be able to get mine to use ear buds.

That said, I've used a dvd and ipad on the plane a couple of times without earphones (for my kids) and there was no issue. We tend to sit in the back of the plane where it's LOUD.

We took our DVD player got a splitter so they both could use earphone.. we also got the earphone that cover the ear not earbuds as they have the ability to do damage to their hearing.

You need to bring headphones. Most airlines will not allow you to play a DVD, even if it's for kids, without headphones. You might get away with it, but I've seen families asked to turn their DVD player off, and then the kids really had fits!

You can buy childrens size headphones and some DVD players allow for two sets of headphones to be plugged in. Or get a headphone splitter. My girls loved wearing headphones on the airplane starting at two years old.

Take the player, but also take headphones. Flight attendants will ask you to turn it off if another passenger complains if you are using it without headphones and you don't want that!

Good time to teach them to use earphones. :) Other than that you shouldn't have any problems.

Oh my gosh do it. We take one every time we fly and have since my son was three. It has saved us many a time,not just in flight but when we had extended wait times on the plane before take off. It also means that mom and dad can relax as well. Just bring ear phones. The first time we used it we did not have ear phones and a man behind us complained, even with the volume set at minimum. You may want to try a few different kinds of ear phones -- some are harder for little ones to keep on. Have a great trip!

1 / 3