Using a Space Heater in Baby's Room

My Baby's room gets freezing cold at night. He dosen't keep blankets on and He hates the sleep sack blankets. Is it safe to use a space heater in his room? I'm terrified of a fire but I want him to be warm.Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks so much for all the responses. We are researching which space heater to buy, for now we bought thermal underwear to wear under his PJs. Thanks again.
Love,

My little duplex gets FREEZING!!! In my sons room i use a lil space heater that i sit @ the doorway on the hardwood floor. It works great and doesnt get too hot, Bought it at target 2 lil ones for $24.

I use a tabletop space heater in my daughter's room. She's almost a year old and we have been using it since she was born. We got it at Home Depot. We installed an extra smoke detector in her room just to be on the safe side but we love it.

I think a space heater is fine.... I use the one that is small and square and has a fan option in addition to the low/hi heat option. It makes for good white noise as well. They are about 20.00 at Target.

I have always used a space heater in my daughter's room since she was brand new. Just as long as you are careful where you place it and make sure there is nothing flamable near it you should be fine. I have been using a temperature controlled space heater. Once it hits a specific temperature it will turn itself off. Very handy to have. Target, Home Depot, Sears...they all sell them.

We have used a space heater in our daughters room since she was an infant ( she is now 4 years old) without any problems. We did hunt around for one that didn't get too hot on the outside. It is made by Honeywell. However, our daughter never climbed out of her crib and by the time she was in a toddler bed she was old enough to understand that touching it would hurt her. If your son climbs out then I might be more concerned about it tipping over than the heat. I hope this helps some.

Space heaters are very scary to me, too! I would look for other alternatives if you can. Will he wear pajamas with feet in them (as opposed to a sack)? My son still likes to wear footed pajamas and he's 2.5!

Our house is also super cold in winter, and our heat source is virtually unusable because it's an old floor grate in the living room. We've chosen to heat key spaces in the house, namely the kids' rooms and the living room, with an electric wall "panel" heater called and EconoHeat. It works to make a small- to medium-sized room comfortably warm, though we still bundle the kids in fleece if it's really cold out.
The units are affordable and not too expensive to run. Also, they are low-profile on the wall and will not burn a child's hand if they happen to brush against it. Here's the website:

http://www.eheat.com/index.php

I definitely recommend these heaters for a child's room!

J..

Hi C.

We have the same problem as well. I use the Vornado space heater. It is really safe. It looks like a little fan and it doesn't get hot to the touch, has a thermostat and a fan with the choice of on or auto so when the room hits the temp you want to keep it at it turns off and then back on.

We have used a very small space heater in our son's room for over two years (he is now three). Make sure it is solid so it doesn't tip over. Keep it away from anything that could burn easily --- we have it sitting on the hard wood floor away from the rug. Teach your child not to touch it. I got ours at Walgreens and it is about 8 inches high and grey (and has a solid base). WE sometimes go in at night just to check it and make sure it is not too hot. Ours also has a thermostat so it clicks off at a certain point (That made me feel better).

_Kris

We use space heaters on really cold nights. You can get ones that allow you to control the temperature of the room (they turn on and off as needed). Most also have a safety tip feature that shuts the heater off if it gets tipped over (ours is so sensitive that just bumping it will make it stop for a minute). Also I turn ours off before I go to sleep, once the room is really warm it will stay warm as long as the door is shut.

My baby likes to sleep naked. If it is not cold enough for the space heater I dress her warmly after she has fallen asleep. It is easy enough to slip on the carter's two piece long sleeve jammies and some socks, on really cold nights I'll throw on a sweatshirt and sweat pants too.

But keep in mind that some people, even when it is cold, get really hot when they sleep. My 8 yr old daughter still can't sleep with anything heavier than a sheet even when it is cold. I used to wrap her up the way I do with my 2 yr old but it just made her miserable and she wouldn't sleep well. My husband has a fan blowing on him while I wrap up with an extra blanket. Even though they feel cold to me they both swear they are comfy.

1 / 3