Urinary Tract Infection While Pregnant

Hi moms, So, I had a doctors appointment on Wednesday and had some protein in my urine so my OB said she was going to have it tested for a urinary tract infection (I haven't had any of the other symptoms except for wanting to go pee all the time). Anyway, I called the office twice today and the results hadn't come back yet so they said I'd have to wait until Monday for the results. So my question is if anyone knows of anything natural I can do until then to maybe help with the infection (if I have one). I think I heard that cranberry juice helps so I was going to try that. I'm a little worried because I read that if untreated I could go into early labor.

Thank you all for your responses! Well, the test results finally came back and I do have the infection, although, I still don't have the symptoms. I'm starting the antibiotics today. Thanks again!

You would have to drink too much cranberry juice for it to do that much good. Getting cranberry tablets are the best. We use cranberry/blueberry tablets and they work wonderfully. I haven't had a UTI in years! Feel free to contact me if you have any trouble finding them M..

yes, cranberry juice for 10 days to two weeks, it should clear it up by then...as far as going into early labor, I don't think you needed worry.

If you get sick of cranberry juice they do have cranberry pills. I had kidney stones when I was pregnant with my second child and I took the pills insted because of the extra sugar in the juice.

Drink a lot of cranberry juice. They also have tablets that are equal to cranberry juice(I could never stomach cranberry juice) Now they have really good juices that are part cranberry juice and part other juices. They have pomegranate/cranberry and (my favorite)grape/cranberry. I'm sure they have more than that but that's all I remember. They are sold at your local grocery store and trust me they work!

I had a uti while pregnant and the doctor recommended cranberry. The natural one from the health food store. I don't remember the dosage but it worked.

Hi M.
Yes cranberry juice helps (make sure it is sugar free.) LOTS of purified water, at least a cup an hour. Also Shaklee has all natural whole food supplements and here are the ones that help urinary tract infections. At www.shaklee.net/greenplanet there is a little search window you can put the names of any of these in and read about them. If you put stuff in your cart at check out you can be a member for $19.95 (that is a lifetime membership) and get 15% off, like a cosco card or you can just buy retail. Here are some of the natural things I have found great for urinary tract infections. Optiflora, especially the little capsules, alfalfa, B-Complex, Protein, Garlic, DTX, Herblax.
All of these things are good for you whether or not you have this infection. In fact the Vitalizer you can read about there is doctor approved for pregnancy supplements.
Good Luck and all the best with your pregnancy, CONGRATS!

Yes, straight cranberry juice is a great natural remedy. But depending on the type of bacteria causing the infection you may need to take goldenseal, a natural antibiotic of sorts, along with it. It is an herb that won't harm you or the baby. There is one brand of cranberry supplement that already has it in it otherwise you can buy it a a store like Sprouts or Whole Foods. Also, drink lots of water and cut sugar out of your diet. It will feed the UTI.

i responded to this, but i dont think it went through. if not, let me know and i will send something again!

Hi M.!
I've read articles and heard from nurses that the best way to flush out your system to free it of bacteria is to drink lots of water- stop after 8 pm so you won't be getting up all night~ and drinking at least one cup of cranberry juice (at least 27% cranberry juice if it's a 'cocktail' juice). One cup three times a day is even better! You can also buy the pure cranberry juice at some stores like Albertson's although I don't know how good it tastes. Drink with food if it upsets your stomach at all. I've heard that the cranberry juice helps keep the bacteria from sticking in your urinary tract. Hope this helps!

I had so many UTI's when I was preggo and when I was 32 weeks I did go into early labor but we were able to keep him in...lol Cranberry juice is great for UTI's but I was told that most of the juice has lots of sugar so I was told to drink water with lemon juice in it. I would just buy the little green bottles of lemon juice and stir it into my water and I was told to drink at least one 8oz glass for every hour that you are awake during the day. Hope thats helps...

1 / 3