Urinary Reflux Disease in 18 Mo Old...

My 18 mo old daughter was just given medication for a urinary tract infection...we're lucky we caught it because she didn't have a fever or anything, but every once in a while (we only caught it twice) she'd grab her diaper and cry out. Well, I thought no big deal! She'll take an antibiotic and it'll go away. WELL, her pediatrician just called my home the other night and told me that most likely my daughter has Urinary Reflux Disease - where the body reflux's or flushes urine back up into the bladder and kidneys and left untreated can cause scarring and/or kidney failure. The doctor said that this is something she will most likely grow out of by the age of 5, but will need to be on a constant antibiotic until then in order to prevent infection. Does anyone know more about this disease, or know someone's child that has this and can maybe shed a brighter light on this for me? I'm worried that because we are just now catching it, and she's had this since she was born, that she may have damage already done on her little kidneys. We won't know anything more until the tests are ran next month.

I had this, but didn't grow out of it until college. You take a lose dose of an antibiotic everyday and you don't really need to worry about scarring until she gets an infection that hasn't been treated, so it's important to keep an eye on it. I would only get the test done if the doctor thinks it's really important to do (he may want to wait until shes older to do it in case she outgrows it). Email me if you want to know more about the test.

I know nothing about this, but when I need to find some information to understand better any kind of health care issues, I like to visit www.mayoclinic.com and www.webmd.com. Often times these web sites can provide you with enough information to make a difference in your understanding of what is going on so it is all not quite so scary.

Good Luck, I hope it all turns out well for you and your daughter!

N.

There are 5 stages to urinary reflux.. 1 is not so bad and 5 is severe and MAY need surgery to correct if they don't feel the child will outgrow over time. My daughter was diagnosed w/ stage 1-2 (urine traveled and reached the kidneys, but never entered the kidneys) urinary reflux when she was about a year old. She had one UTI and her ped sent us to Children's Mercy for an ultrasound and x-ray. Once it was confirmed, she started taking antibiotics (she took amoxicillan as she proved to be allergic to sulfa antibiotics, which was the preferred treatment). She is now 5 and has not had a UTI since that initial one. We even stopped the antibiotics about 18 months ago to see what happened. We have to take her to the dr whenever she runs a temp and they always check her urine to make sure she doesn't have a UTI, but so far, so good.

Just an FYI regarding insurance. About 2 years ago, my husband and I made some job changes and attempted to get private health insurance. My daughter (age 3 at the time) was denied health insurance by 3 seperate insurers based on her diagnosis of urinary reflux.. even though she had only one UTI her entire life!! We had a letter from her ped that supported that she was a healthy child, but even that didn't help. Fortunately, my husband was working for my father at the time who dropped his ins w/ my mom and took out group coverage for just himself and us, just so my daughter could have coverage. It was ridiculous!!!

This is very common and more than likely, your daughter will outgrow at some point. Also, there is a bubble bath by California Baby that is safe/doesn't lead to UTIs. My daughter loves it as it comes with a bubble wand so she can blow bubbles during her bath. You can find it online, Target or Babies R Us. It's expensive ($10+), so we don't get it too often, but it's nice to have the option!

My very healthy 7 year old was diagnosed with it when she was 3 months old. We rushed her to the hospital in the middle of the night, and when we got there, her temp was 105. I didn't know it could get that high. She had a kidney infection, and she was tested for reflux immediately. It's diagnosed with an ultrasound (painless) and a VCUG. (Not so fun). She was on prophylactic medicines to prevent any further infections (which is what causes the damage and scarring) until she was 5. She didn't grow out of it. When she was 5, she had deflux surgery at Children's Mercy hospital (Kansas City, Missouri). It is a very non-invasive surgery where sugar deposits are left at the base of the uretha tubes with the idea they will harden and put pressure on the valves and cause them to close during voiding. In our case, one side was corrected 100 percent, and the other side, almost 100%. It's noninvasive, and she went home that day. They go in through the vagina. We had a follow up one year later, and she was doing great. Another friend's daughter had the same thing, and she was scheduled for surgery to go in and cut her open, cut the tubes and replace them. It was totally invasive, with 6 days in the hospital and of course, a lengthy recovery. We told her about our surgery, and they decided to try it first, and it worked great. While you obviously don't want to get to this point, I am telling you about our experience so that you will know that it is very treatable, and considering all the other things that can go wrong with a child, this is something that you can deal with. I also know 3 other people whose chidren has this, and they all grew out of it without surgcial intervention. If you want more information, let me know.

I had this same thing when I was 4 years old. I was on 2 different kinds of medications till I was 9 or 10 I think. But it is something she will outgrow. And If she does have it, there are several thing you need to do to lessen the symptons. No bubble baths. Use very mild soap. I know kids love baths, but keep the bath time down to a minimum to keep any soapy bathwater from entering the urinary tract. Lots of juice and water. No caffeine. And no wet underwear or diapers. Having this, she will be a bit more susuptible to yeast infections. I am 31 now and have minimal kidney damage from mine. But I can always tell when I am drinking too much pop or tea cuz my kidneys let me know! Good luck!

You might consider using cranberry extract to help prevent UTIs in your daughter. I don't know about your daughter's condition but cranberry helps to prevent the bacteria from sticking in the bladder and causing the UTI. You can find chewable cranberry tablets since your little one is young or I think they make liquid cranberry extract also. You could also try the juice but usually it is sweetened with sugar which negates the good effects as it needs to be pure cranberry juice and then it is really bitter. I give my four-year daughter a cranberry tablet everyday as she had a UTI and so far she has not gotten another. Also, I would consider seeing a chiropractor. They get amazing results with manipulation of the spine and could possibly improve or cure the problem. I would be very concerned about using antiobitics all the time for that long. I did that for years and it will mess up your dauther's body as it did mine. It wipes out the good bacteria and will create new problems.
There are many good chiropractors but if you would like to check one out I will list ours below. I take all my kids to see them when they are sick.Hope she gets better!
Cardin Chiropractic
www.cardinchiropractic.com
###-###-####
9159 W. 133rd
Overland Park, KS 66213

Hi A., I just recently learned about this myself. My giirlfriend here at work has the same problem with her granddaughter. Everything that you said in your blog is what she just told me. Hopefully they will grow out of it. Apparently it's not all that uncommon in little girls. She said that her urethra (i think that spelling is wrong) tube isn't as long as it should be. Over time as they grow hopefully that will grow too. If it does not catch up with her body later on, they will go it and make her a longer tube. Apparently when ever she does urinate alittle urine will retract upward back into the bladder. She said that every three months or so they have to take her to the hospital and draw blood, take a urine sample and do some type of xray to check on this problem. Her doc said it's not uncommon for this to happen. I don't know if i've shed much more light on this conversation for you or not, but i hope that i've helped answer your question alittle bit. She tells me to tell you not to worry to much about it (I know, easier said that done), but it's not anything too terriable. Good luck with your baby girl! Mother hood isn't easy that's for sure! Good luck with your little girl!!!

I had two friends whose girls also had urinary reflux. One was diagnosed as an infant and the other at age 3. They had both outgrown it by age 5. I do know that one of them took an antibiotic called Septra(Bactrum)to help prevent UTIs.

1 / 3