URGENT: My Baby Swallowed a Plum Seed!

Hi, my baby just swallowed a plum seed - should I take him to the doctor??

Oh my goodness! He's going to grow a plum tree in his belly!

I'm teasing ;) It will pass. If, in the next day or two he starts having really bad belly pains, take him to the doc immediately, but other than that, it will pass!!

We fed our 18 month old son apricots off of our tree. He never saw us pull the seed out, so one day, my husband was picking up the apricots and turned around to see our son choking. Our son had picked up an apricot an bit into it and the seed got stuck. My husband did the Heimlich maneuver, but our son swallowed it. My husband freaked. I didn't it. I told him to wait and see. (I have a healthcare background - and both of my parents are doctors.) I told him that the seed with either pass or it will cause bowel obstruction and require surgery.

Well, our son had normal bowel movements daily and after 8 days, a friend saw him poop and said that it looked like he was straining a bit. (My husband went through each of his diapers and this one, I heard my husband cry....with relief.) It took 8 days, but it passed and my son's butt was intact.

Do what you are comfortable with, but use logic and don't be stupid. Breathe!

If you are positive.. Have you looked all around to make sure it did not fall or roll somewhere. I would call the doctors emergency number and ask them..

Anytime you are super worried call the doc before you post online.

This too shall pass.
You should never go to he ER or even run into the doctor's office unless it's a real emergency, without an appointment. You can call the ER and talk to a nurse. As long as he is breathing okay and doesn't seem to be in any distress he should be fine.

Real emergencies that warrent a trip to the ER:
severe burn
bleeding that won't stop -- and may need stitches
a head injury when the patient is throwing up, seems disoriented, eyes don't focus
broken bones
fainting -- with an unknown cause (could be very low blood pressure)
broken bones
chest pain or other symtoms of heart condition -- nausa being one of them
heat stroke
drowning or possibility of swallowed water that may have gotten into lungs
finding the patient unresponsive or unconscious

I'm not trying to demean you or be simply mean. But the ER is for real emergencies. Sometimes the ER gets slammed with a multiple car accident --- would you want your doctor to have to leave you during an assessment or treatment to check on a child who swallowed a fruit pit? Say you had been in a car acident and your 1 child is bleeding badly and the other unconscious and before the doctor can completely assess your children a parent comes in for a simple procedure that could have waited till the next morning and be seen by the regular doctor. How would feel if the doctor left to go calm the new patient or parent?

I advise you to contact the Red Cross and take some first aide courses. You will feel so much more calm when your kids get hurt or scare the daylights out of you.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned -- or even scared whitless sometimes. When my first was about 7 weeks old we ran her to the ER because she was crying and screaming and we got scared (ugg new parents) well we got there and the nurse took her and said follow me and she went to take her temp annally and the baby passed gas and the nurse laughed and said -- ahh that's all it was -- she's fine. Of course two red faced parents took the baby home and went to bed. That baby just turned 37-- over the years as parents we calm down and learn. So will you.

I would take him to the ER if the plum seed is bigger than a dime. I cannot picture a plum seed at the moment, at first I was thinking of a peach pit. I would be to afraid it would get trapped in his small intestine and cause intestinal issues. If it were my baby that is what I would do but I am a freak-a-zoid. PLease update us! Hope all is well with you baby.

It's really up to you, what you want to do. We all have different ideas of what's "right" in this scenario. I would wait it out, but my DH would be freaking out...

My advice is to go with your gut & when in doubt, call a nurse line instead of posting to a message board. I'm not trying to be mean, but that's just how I see it.

As long as the pit went into the stomach it's fine. It'll pass through within the next 24 to 48 hours most likely. A trip to the er or the doctor isn't needed.

If he is not choking and you are sure it has made it down, it will pass through. Can your baby breathe/eat/drink right now? I am assuming yes or you prob wouldn't be on mamapedia... Might be a little uncomfortable when it passes, but it will. Look for it though, so that you can take him in if it does NOT pass.

Updated

1 / 3