20 answers

Updated: URGENT - Unknown Cause of Spiked Fever in 2 Year Old.

Let me give you a background over the past week.

Monday of last week my daugter presented with red hives/bumps all over her torso. We were unsure of the cause...she did wear a new shirt that was not washed first but there was no rash on the back just the front. She did eat eggs for lunch but ate them before and no prob. I also found that she drank from an old juice cup that she hid and had mold growing in it.

The Ped. feels it was an allerigic reaction to the mold in the juice cup and told me to give her Benadrill...which we did and the next day rash gone!

She turned 2 on Sat and we had a birthday party. Healthy and normal child...

SUNDAY - she was fussy and she is teething so we gave her Childrens Motrin before putting her to bed. She wimmpered a little through the night and woke up at 3 am and played in her crib. This is VERY UNLIKE HER...she sleeps like a rock through the night.

MONDAY - 7 am she wakes up screaming...she is fire hot and red from head to toe. Rectal temp of 104.5. I gave her 0.8 tylenol and rushed her to the ER.
By the time we got there it was 45 min later and the Tylenol worked and her temp was normal. They gave me a perscrip for Amox. and told me to wait 24 hours before giving it to her to see if she gets better with the Tylenol/Motrin alt. She wont eat and doenst want to drink. We are pushing her to drink pedalight. She is very listless...

We alternated motrin and tylenol but everytime she took a nap she spiked a fever and we would have to cool her down in a bath. She had another listless night and fever would not go away.

TUES - 8 am she wakes up screaming and another spiked fever Ear Temp of 105.6. We gave her Tylenol 1.6 mg and another bath. We called the Ped and took her in. Once ariving her temp forhead scan was 103.6. Still doesnt want to eat or drink and is starting to become dehidrated.

Strep test - Normal
Ears - Clear
URIN - Normal
No discharge from nose or eyes
No cough, sneeze or congestion

Only a little redness in the throat but no concern.

We just had blood work done and awaiting the results.

Apon getting home her ear temp is now 106.1! We gave more Tylenol 1.6 mg and another bath...lowered the ac to 73 degrees and stripped her down to a diaper. She is now down for a nap which worries me because I know her fever will rise!

What would you do?

We are considering taking her to the ER and having them admit her until they get her fever under controll and diagonsis.

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

Update 2: Today our baby girl is a TON BETTER!!! With us keeping the house cool, her in a diaper, Motrin every six hours and three cool baths a day - her temp has been in control. She still didnt want to eat or drink today but we did manage to get her to eat french fries. This is a no, no on a normal day but today we didnt care as long as she ate something! By dinner time she started to come back to our little bundle of joy! She is running around and smiling and giving tons of hugs and kisses. She even ate dinner...not all but some. Half a yogurt cup and 3/4 a pasta pick up. She finished all her pedilight (sp?) and most of her milk. The antibiotic shot must of worked.

The blood and urin cultures came back NEG. so they have no idea what caused her to spike such high fevers. What ever it was darn near wiped out all her white blood cells...that her body was working so hard to produce more.

It was so scary to see her so hot that her body was beat red from head to toe. The ear thometer read 99.9 just around her body that was how hot she was! I just knew my baby was cooking brain cells!

We are so happy to have her spunky happy self back! Thank you to all who have prayed for our little girl!!! I believe in the power of prayer and it means the world to us that strangers who dont know us care.

God Bless you all!

A Greatful Mommy

Update 1:
Her blood work came back and her WBC (white blood count) was low. They are still unsure what is causing her to be sick. So they gave her an antibiotic shot to make sure that it isnt bacterial because they dont want it to spread to her brain and cause menigitis. They had to do another catheter on her (twice in less than 4 hours) poor baby. This was tramatic for me...so i took my husband the second time to the doctor to help me hold her down for this. I was in tears, heart broken & guilty for holding her down and causing her pain.

We are still waiting on the blood cultures and urin cultures. If they come back neg than there is nothing more we can do but give her motrin every 5 1/2 hours...if we wait for six she spikes again. Keep our house at 74 degrees and a lot of baths to keep her body temp down. If the tests are pos. then we go back in for more antibotic shots and a perscription.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: It was a good thing that I waited to get the perscription for antibiotics filled. Because it would of messed up all of the blood and urin tests they were doing. ER doctors I am starting to figure out know nothing...last time they checked her ears and said she was fine and that she had bronchitis and gave her antibiotics. 2 days later I take her to her Ped. because she isnt better and turns out she had a double ear infection and that the ER didnt clean out her ears to see it. She had to go on another antibiotic for that.

So if you have to go to the ER for something like this...dont rush to fill perscrip. see the doctor ASAP and verify first. Good thing we did!

I will keep you posted on the LAB RESULTS.

More Answers

Hi there,

I know how scary it can be when a little one has high fever, however, high fever is usually far less indicative of a major illness than a low-grade fever. My pediatrician's website has a great summation of fevers and what to do an not do, http://clinicalpediatrics.com/index.php?action=website-vi.... Also, their website does stress that alternating Tylenol and Motrin is not known to be safe and should not be done.

I hope your little one feels better very soon and you all can breathe easy and get some much needed rest.

1 mom found this helpful

It is probably viral. The ER can not really do more than you are already doing and I doubt they will admit for a diagnosis only. They will repeat all the doctor did at the office with probably the same results. If the doctor thought she needed to be hospitalized, then he would have already done so. She also has to meet insurance criteria to be admitted. And she probably doesn't. A fever of unknown origin that is controlled with meds, and the baby still taking some fluids is not enough for admitting in most hospitals I know. I know that you are scared and concerned but as long as she is drinking fluids, keep alternating the tylenol and motrin. Sometimes you just have to ride these things out. The hospital will not be able to do more than you are doing. And it is awful expensive for a little support. With alot more sicker people all congregated in the same spot with bigger and badder bugs than she has!
Basically, the temperature is her bodies way of dealing with some type of infection and is not the cause of the problem. Somewhere there is a virus or bacteria, and her little body is doing exactly as God intended to get rid of the intruder. Let the body do it's job. Unless my kids temp is above 102, I don't medicate for temp. It stops the bodies natural processes for getting rid of bugs. You may never know what is causing it, even with a hospitalization. The sleep is not causing her fever, but conveniently the medicine wears off when she happens to be asleep. Just give fluids and alternate medicine. And hope for a fast recovery. You are doing great. No more than the hospital would be able to do.
Good luck,
L., RN

1 mom found this helpful

I had something similar happen to my son when he was about 25 months old. Scary high spikey fevers (103-105 degree range) randomly over about a 3 week period, with no other obvious symptoms. After multiple doctor's visits they finally concluded it was viral and would run its course. Our ped recommended we rotate Tylenol and Motrin every 4 hours which we did, and that controlled the fever (until it came back again and again). No clue what the virus was, but if it was that it apparently affects kids in very different ways as my daughter never got it and was around him constantly. Good luck, obviously go to the ER if you think you need to.

I agree about avoiding the ER, if possible, because of the stuff that goes around there, but if I were you I would call the pedi and ask if she can get some iv fluids there, at least. If she gets dehydrated, she will be listless and it will be very difficult to get her fever down. She needs fluids desperately. If she doesn't eat, I wouldn't worry. My son has gone days without eating and then when he's better he makes up for it.

Remember, the ear temp is going to be different than the others- there should be a chart or something inside the ear therm that says what is "normal" and it's a degree or two above what a different therm would read, I believe. We bought the temporal therm (like they use at the docs) and I believe it works best (though we usually take the average out of three tries). They're under $40 at Walgreens, if I remember correctly. I have the ear one too, but it doesn't seem to coincide with the Dr's office (ear is always higher). I mean, why would the dr's office say 103.6, then at home it's 106.1? The therm may be off and you're getting scared for nothing, you know? I would be real scared with a 106 temp, too.

Unfortunately the temperature almost always rises when they sleep- same thing happened with my son. It should go down within an hour or so of waking, though.

I would guess that she probably picked up a virus at the party and there's nothing much to be done about it, unfortunately. I feel for you- been there. It's the worst, seein' your little one go through all that.

Couple thing to remember on fevers- she'll want to be naked, but don't let her, cuz then she'll start to shiver and that can make the fever worse. Keep one layer on her (a sheet or t-shirt, shorts, whatever). She'll get hot and want it off, but it's not good. At least that's what I read.

Be prepared that you may not get a diagnosis. They'll probably conclude that it's a virus, as it usually is.

Sorry if I couldn't be more positive.

Make sure they test for viral meningitis, that presents with a fever and a rash.

U need to follow ur mommastincts.
IF u feel that is what u need to do then do it.
Her little body is fighting something. But with her drinking and eating so little...
How long is it going to take to get the results from the DR?
U are doing all you can to fight the fever.
I hope she feels better soon.

Has she had the measles vaccine? Most dostors today don't recognize a case of measles because most children have had the vaccine.
You and she are in my prayers.
D.

Hi T., I will be praying for your little girl. I hope everything goes well. That is so scary. Keep us posted.

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.