Unusual Behavior May Be Linked to Children's Zyrtec Allergy Medicine

My 7yr old son has been taking Children's Zyrtec Allergy medicine for the past 2 weeks. My husband and I have witnessed some major behavior changes in our son. He seems angry and very irritable. He has been inappropriately lashing out at his 2 yr old sister, which has not been a problem in the past. This evening, after a horrible time getting him to bed, my husband and I discussed what could be causing this negative change in his behavior. We think it may be the Zyrtec. Of course, we will take him off of the medicine and see if it makes a difference. I would love to know if anybody else has had this problem. Thanks ahead of time for all your help!!

A friend of mine had the same issues with her 3 yr old. He was on zyrtec and another med due to ear infections but she took him off of both and the attitude stopped. I would talk to his doc and see if there is an alternative to the meds.

good luck

My son took Zrytec..normally the liquid but sometimes the white pills too when he was 3-5....mainly in the spring and fall. I didn't notice any abnormal behavior. His allergies have gotten much better... but he now takes Claritan for the occasional flare-ups. Claritan didn't seem too work well when he was younger (he will be 7 next month)but seems fine now. I give that to him instead of Zrytec because now that he is in 1st grade and deosn't get a nap every day I didn't want anything that might make him drowsey. But that is just my experience..all kids are different. I think I would take him off of it and see what happens. Maybe Claritan would work.

well i dont think my son lashed out on zyrtec he only did that on adderax, but he did get very winny and acted like a crybaby ALL day long

Hi S..
Both of my daughters can't take any cold medicine, allergy medicine, etc. It messes with them and makes them very irritable. I use a lot of holistic/homeopathic stuff and lots of vitamin C and it works for us. Hyland's makes a C tablet and a C plus cold tablet that I use with runny noses for any reason, colds, anything of that nature. They dissolve in their mouths and are totally safe for children, all natural. Can get at any health food store, sometimes at Walmart. You may want to evaluate the food your child consumes. Things with dairy can cause allergies, wheat gluten, etc. Perhaps that would help with allergy problems.
W. from Indiana

I do believe different medications effect people/kids differently. Zyrtec didn't work for my toddler, but Allegra did. Today there are so many alternatives.
Example: while Benadryl will make some kids sleepy, it makes my son crazy hyper. Don't rule out school and other issues too, but what can it hurt to stop the meds and try something different. Ask your pediatrician what alternatives there are.
Good Luck.

I teach elementary and middle school, and we hear about Zyrtec affecting kids' behavior ALL the time! It can make some of the sweetest kids turn angry and mean-spirited. Usually, within a few days of going off it the kids are back to normal.

My daughter has horrible allergies & she has been taking Zyrtec for as long as I can remember. Probably since she was 3 years old. she is now 9. My daughter has horrible behavior problems as well. i never thought it could be linked to the zyrtec. I really need to check into that. If you hear anymore info about this please let me know.

I never noticed behavioral problems.. since hes adhd.. but he had problems with his eyes he started blinking constantly I thought he was having a tick or something neurological or something.. but it was the zyrtec.. we tried it twice and had the same reaction.. so i dont like zytec.. i would try something else.. good luck

You betcha it can. Smart Mom. Call your doc and ask for something else, or try Claritin. It doesn't work quite as well, but it doesn't seem to affect kids the same way. Best of luck to you.

Certainly eliminate and see what happens..It's a definite possibility. Then you'll have that answer. If you need alternatives, try Claritin (I found that it doesn't work as well for 3 of 4 members of my family, but it's probably the most benign drug on the planet) or maybe Allegra (Rx only)
if your insurance covers. If it's mostly nasal symptoms, you might try NasalCrom (OTC) regularly through the allergy season and saline spray to keep the mucus membranes from getting too dry (too dry is as bad as too wet!). It's a different type med (not antihistamine) and he wouldn't get a lot of systemic absorption from it. BUT if you are also giving a decongestant (look for pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine on the ingredients) stop that first as they are way more likely to be causing the behavioral changes. Esp pseudoephedrine (Children's Sudafed)-it's a stimulant and can definitely cause agitation/aggression. (I only use it if my kids are totally miserable because they're monsters after a few days of giving it regularly :)

Your friendly neighborhood Pharmacist Mom

good luck

1 / 3