Unhappy with Similac Sensitive, Painful Gas, Crying Baby. Good Start? Soy? Alim?

Hi all, my now 3 month old (2nd son, 13 mo apart), is super uncomfortable, with gas, pains, tummy issues. always has been. three or four relatives have said he's collicky - but he doesn't cry for the 3 hrs a day pre-requisite! i've spoken to the dr., and since he was gaining weight well, she wasn't too concerned... they say some babies are just gassier than others, babies cry, etc. we were on similac organic, then after the recall, and after watching my son have more gas pains, or so i think, she suggested trying similac sensitive, it's lactose free. so we swithced. he was worse for 2 wks. then, i saw some improvement, but he was on zantac by then for reflux... no spitting up issues, though... just the arching, screaming through feedings, etc... anyway - i'm really unhapy w/the similac sensitive, and he has super mucousy, stringy poops... went from 1 every 3 or 4 days to 1 a day... but they are wierd poops! i just called the pediatrician and the nurse is going to ask the dr if i should try soy... but is soy easier on babies' tummy? not thrilled with that idea. and he had a milk protein allergey they say there would be lots of other symptoms... don't know if i agree, i've heard other moms say just the wierd poops and colic was enough to test the stool, and they found blood in their stool... but my ped doesn't think that's the case... should i switch to soy? carnation good start? or try alimentum? i just know that it will be worse for my son for 2 wks while we switch the formula, and i don't want to d

Hi -- I h ave to thank you all again... saw the doctor on wednesday before Thanksgiving. Explained the horrendous crying, pain, screaming, etc. Finally Dr suggested hypoallergenic formula. She said he doesn't show the classic symptoms of protein allergy, but he could have it, or he could just not be able to tolerate regular formula. so, I went to the store, and bought up Alimentum. He took his first bottle that afternoon - lots of it - had no problem adjusting to taste. And that night he was the worst he'd ever been. screaming all night, the crying fits, the tears, purple face -- it was too much. I wanted to give in and give him a regular bottle, I felt like I had poured him bottles of cement... My husband insisted that we stick it out. So we did - and by the next day at 3PM on thanksgiving, Luke started to change... or rather, blossom! He was happy. Content. Then we had about a week of on and off crying, but it was getting better and better. And, now, it's been about a week and a half on Alimentum... he's a different baby... well, I take that back - he's able to be the happy baby he showed pieces of before! But, now he seems like he's okay -- and he's not screaming, not freaking out -- it's totally better but I'm afraid to say it. Afraid to jinx it... crazy I know, but it was really a horrible thing to watch him go through. So, thank goodness for Alimentum. I just wish the dr and nurse had agreed to have me try it weeks, if not months ago.

We switched my daughter to soy,Isomil, and loved it. W/in a day or two she was so much better. Also, we started giving her the gas drops w/every bottle. (Mylacon, only we used the generic Wal-Mart brand.) After every feeding we gave it to her. It worked so well! Hope that helps.

Hello A.:

The symptoms sound to be lactose sensitive, which is painful and can irritate the digestive system and cause tearing, resulting in blood in stool. The issue may have started in-utero. Research non-dairy formula and decide which one would be best. It may be a case of giving him a small amount of non-dairy formula and seeing what symptoms may or may not arise therafter.

All the best,
N.
Founder/Organic Mommy and Baby Healthcare Solutions

My daughter did not have blood in her poop and still had milk protein allergy. Signs were colicky, weird poop (although they found no blood in it) and what the NP said was the tell-tale rash on her head and face. I thought it was baby pimples or heat rash. We went on Alimentum and she got better! Never 100%, but quite a drastic improvement. Now she just turned one at the end of October and is over it and on regular whole milk.

I would try switching formulas. I had my son on similac(2 yr ago) and it gave him really bad gas. His pediatrician even recommended trying the sensitive and it made it even worse. The similac formula also always had a spoiled smell to it. After a while being in it i switched him to Good Start and did not have a single problem. You could also try Little Tummies gas medicine or Mylicon. I used the Little Tummies and just put it in his bottle. good luck

Sounds like he's either allergic or sensitive to cow's milk -dairy. I'd stay away from soy since soy and dairy allergies tend to follow each other (you're as likely to be allergic to both as to just one). My cousin's baby was severely dairy allergic and she ended up having to give up breastfeeding because of it (couldn't eat enough calories to maintain her own weight and produce milk too) and finally put her little one on some sort of prescription formula and her baby started to thrive.

You might ask about having a blood test for allergies done for your little one. DO some research about it, as I'm not sure how effective it is, but it might give you something to consider.

Sounds EXACTLY like my son!! He is 8 months now and has been on Alimentum for several months. Within about 3 days on Alimentum he was a different child. They didn't test for the blood because he had a host of symptoms but I would try it and if it works go the doc and see what they can do. My insurance covered his formula because it was a medical necessity. Check it out.

My son had a milk PROTEIN intolerance... his poop became blood streaked and mucusy... and he was only colicky in the afternoon eve (4-11pm)... Sounds familiar... We had great luck with Nutramagin (Alimentum is the same - just similac's brand). Both have partially broken down milk protiens so the body doesn't have to. After 3 days he was SO MUCH happier. We did have him on rice milk for 1 year - 1yr until 2yrs. Now he's almost 3 and able to digest regular milk. No issues.... GOOD LUCK

My daughter had a LOT of gas and acid reflux. My ped put her on Enfamil GentlEase. She does really great on it. The other thing that they put her on was Bio Gia. It is a probiotic and comes in drops. We put in 5 drops in her morning bottle and she did great for the rest of the day! This helped to break things down for her so that she was not so gassy. Ask your ped about it. It doesn't hurt them at all as it is something that everyone should have. It is about $40.00 a bottle, but for us it was well worth it! Best of luck to you! I know that it's hard, but hopefully you will find what works!

1 / 3