Uneven Leg Crease on 18 Month Old

This summer I noticed that my daughter has a large crease on one of her legs and not her other leg. At her most recent check-up the daughter said it could be a sign of Hip Dysplacia but the X-Ray came back normal. Looking back on pictures the crease has been there a long time. I am wondering if anyone else's child has this condition and what might be causing it. Also, she is not "chunky", was just at 20 pounds at her 18 month check up, so I don't think it is just an extra fat fold.

I would definately go and get a second, and even maybe a third opinion. One doctor can miss something that can easily be treated now, instead of waiting. God Bless and good luck!

I would STRONGLY recommend consulting w/ a pediatric chiropractor. You can find one in your area at www.icpa4kids.org. We see what you're mentioning a lot in practice, and many times it comes from the child's pelvis having slight rotation. A lot of medical x-rays won't catch this- the MD may not know how to do an analysis on the film for this type of issue, and/or many times the x-ray is taken w/ the child lying down (can not be properly evaluated if not a weight bearing film). If the spine and/or pelvis are not properly aligned, the chiropractor can do a gentle adjustment and recommend exercises to help. Feel free to email me offlist if you have any other questions.
Dr. C.

My second daughter had this as well, in addition to frequently being able to 'pop' her hip. Our doctor sent us to Childrens (even after the xrays were normal) to see some specialist. He had her walk and took a look at her, and said she was absolutely fine. She's now 3 and there are no issues. It's probably absolutely nothing, but maybe push the issue and get it checked out, if it will make you feel better (it did me). Good luck!

My daughter had a very deep crease in her left leg and not the right. I never worried about it being abnormal, and her doctor checks her hips at her checkups and has never mentioned anything. She is now 26 months and has gotten so tall the crease is hardly noticeable any more. Someone told me when she was a baby that the crease meant she would be tall - to give her bones room to grow. :o) Also, based on the way she runs around and jumps and dances, I can't imagine that there is any problem.

Just go with your instincts. If you truly feel that it is something to worry about, get another medical opinion. You can never be too careful where your baby is concerned, right?

My 14 month old son has one crease on one leg behind the knee and two creases on the other. I've never thought about it being abnormal, and he walks just fine. My doc checks his hip joints every visit and he's never mentioned anything.

1 / 3