Underwire Bras and Pregnancy

I heard that I shouldn't wear an underwire bra during pregnancy or while nursing as it may interfere with my milk production. Any truth to this? If so, here is the problem: I am busting out of a 36DD and I haven't seen any non-underwires in even this enormous size. Any suggestions/adivce?

Thank you everyone for such great advice- what a fantastic resource. I will definitely talk at a LC and get fitted in a Medela and a Bravado. Thanks again!

I've been in the range of 24DD-34H through 2 pregnancies and I ALWAYS wear an underwire. I've never had an problem with milk production. In fact, while I pumped I produced more milk than my baby could drink.

Yes I heard the same thing too when I was pregnant. I love underwire bras and wear them all the time. Despite what everyone said I wore one and when my milk came in I had so much pain from the underwire bra I had to get rid of them. Congratulations on the baby and graduating law school!

I know exactly how you feel...I was in your position last summer. I wore DD/E, and found some bra's at Motherhood maternity. Underwire and wireless. I stopped wearing underwire when I was about 7 months along. I had a sharp pain on the side of my breast. My doctor said to stop wearing underwire because it can interfere with milk production. I went to Target and picked up their nursing tank tops. I had to buy their XXL. My doctor was right! As soon as I quit wearing my underwire bras the pain went away! Those tank tops don't have the BEST support, but I can't go without any kind of support, and I thought is was better than the pain.
Good luck I hope you find something that works for you.

I always had underwire in my nursing bras and never had any trouble, infections, blocked ducts, etc. I did wear a sports bra type nursing bra to bed just because it was more comfortable for me. I breastfed my daughter for 14 months.

I wear an underwire nursing bra every day and I produce milk just fine and have done this for nearly a year now. However at the end of my pregnancy the underwise was VERY uncomfortable! So at that time I bought them without the underwire. I think it's totally up to you. I can't see how it would have anything to do with milk production...????

This is just my experience, I've heard others say they can be bad, but I've worn underwire bra's through two pregnancies and two years of nursing and never had a problem. I too am a 36DD/E and I just can't get any support out of a non-underwire bra. You can always try it, and if you have a problem, get fitted for a non-underwire bra. I suggest you get fitted now anyway, at a real bra store, or at Motherhood Maternity store.

I was also given the advice to avoid underwires and I think I was around a 38F at my biggest. I was very happy with the service and products that the United Hospital's Birth Center store. You don't need to be a patient and you can call and make an appointment to have a lactation consultant measure you and help you find a comfortable bra and other nursing supplies. The prices are very comparable to department stores. No pressure sales or anything, just comfortable and relaxed atmosphere. I'd call the Birth Center for info. Congratulations!

A recommendation for you if you are looking for nursing bras, United Hospital/Children Hospital in St Paul has a Breastfeeding Resource Center staffed with lactation specialists that will fit you for the perfect bra. They have a small retail shop there in the hospital which I heard about from some other moms when I had my son. They are only open certain hours, if I remember right, but highly recommended. Their number is ###-###-####.

PS The Bravado bras, mentioned in one of the other posts, are awesome! I lived in mine 24/7 and it was super comfortable! If you can avoid it, don't use underwires. Blocked milk ducts can be very painful.

1 / 3