Unannounced Visits?

All I ask is a phone call.What about you do you like drop ins?I don't can't stand it I wouldn't do that to any of my family or friends with out a phone call,text,email.Ya i'm venting a tad bit

Thanks moms...I know my home was super messy today and few days ago when the same visitor stopped in.But heck it's laundry it will get done,so will my stacks of yard sale clothes.It looks really crazy with my childs room out of his room since it is getting worked on by hubby it'll look brand new all over again when finished.So I guess with being home all day everyday it's just expected I have a super clean home well I do for the most part but I have fallen behind with the new adjustments of school and me just wanting to spend time with baby/toddler.Glad there are others who agree that they don't like the unexpected visitor.

I don't answer my door when I'm home alone. We rarely answer the door when my husband is home, anyway (Always solicitors or Jehovah's Witness people.) I HATE it when people stop by unannounced. HATE it. I think it's incredibnly rude. There is no telling what someone may have goig on in their life, at that moment. How you might (I mean might in the general sense) inconvenience someone. How uncomfortable you might make them feel, etc. I have told people on a few occasions, "I'm sorry, this is a bad time. Call me and we'll set up a time to hang out, I'd love to visit with you." People don't drop by, anymore.

I hate it too!!!!!! My mother in law is famous for it and thinks it's perfectly ok to drop in on anyone. It makes me CRAZY!!! I think it's just as rude as can be whether it's family or not.

I don't mind, honestly. If my friends are offended because the breakfast dishes are still in the sink at 10 am, it's on them.

Here's the other side of it. I dropped off a birthday present to my son's girlfriend's house for her birthday, and she was upset that I came without calling because she wasn't wearing her makeup. It was embarrassing for me, to be honest. No more dropping off birthday presents to her house. (No more birthday presents unless they get engaged...)

There ya go!

No one does this to me anymore.
Most likely because if I'm in the middle of anything,
I don't stop what I'm doing - I put them to work.
Etiquette schmetiquette - if they can't be bothered to worry about it, why should I?
If I'm gardening, I hand them a rake.
If I'm digging a hole, they get a shovel.
If I'm cleaning, they can help load the dishwasher..
If they don't want to work, they leave fairly quickly.
If they want entertaining, they call ahead and are sure I'm ready for it beforehand.

Wow that never happens to me, but I know I would hate it! I don't like being caught off guard, especially during the summer when I'm home and braless and otherwise inappropriately dressed for a good part of the day, lol! And I would never show up at someone's house without calling first.
Maybe it's a cultural/regional thing, for some people maybe it's normal to just "stop by" on a whim.
I would just NOT answer the door. If they call later and say, oh we stopped by you can just cheerily say, oh sorry we missed you, we were out, why don't you call before you come next time so you don't waste a trip? Maybe they'll get the hint :)

As long as they are there to see me and not my apartment, and don't expect to be fed, I would like if more people dropped by. I've lived in a very popular, touristy spot by a lake that I know people come to relatively often and I've had so very few of my friends just drop by. When they do, I've enjoyed it.

Sure, a call or text ahead of time is good, just in case I've not yet had a shower, or so I can do a quick pick-up of the living room. But if requiring a call ahead would stop people from coming, I'd rather they just show up.

There ya go!

Yeah, I would never just "drop in" on a friend/relative unannounced, unless it was some kind of emergency. I HATE when people do it to me. My house is almost obsessively clean all the time, so that's not really it. It's more of, I have a lot that I need to get done, and very little time in which to do it, and so I need to schedule my social time just like I would schedule anything else. Having someone just drop in and hang around - while I'm glad they feel comfortable enough to do that - really stresses me out, because it's hard to put out of my mind all the thoughts of "oh, I told that client I'd call him right back - now what do I do?!" When the visit is a scheduled one, I can make all those phone calls BEFORE the person visits, and then just enjoy the visit.

The only unannounced visitors I like to see are the UPS guy and the FedEx guy. Mostly because they're in as much of a hurry to leave as I am for them to leave. LOL When the cute little Mormon missionaries in our neighborhood stop by, I give them a caffeine-free coke, and send them on their way, threatening to tell them all about women's rights if they return (hey, turnabout is fair play...). I just don't answer when the Jehovah's Witnesses come knocking. And on the off-chance I actually open the door, I tell them (depending upon my mood) that we're Atheist, we're Catholic, or we're Scientologists. That sends them scurrying off the porch in a hurry.

(Am I totally anti-social? I just re-read that, and I think I might be turning into a grumpy old lady...)

Hate it also. My inlaws did that a few times. One was they saying they were going to our house to visit the grandkids and then they change it saying tomorrow they were coming. Ok,whatever. Few hours later they were a bang on the door. Our Inlaws. Made me mad because we "had" stuff to do since they told us they were coming up tomorrow. Another was my hubby had a small accident at work. He was in and out of the hospital in a a few hours. Well my husband told his parents he was ok,etc. That night they should up without a phone call or whatever. We was in the middle of getting the kids out of the bath and my husband was about to leave to grab us dinner so we can eat in peace. I didn't care if they came up to visit but please send us a phone call.I hate when people pop up. My brother does it also. I can have the house all clean and kids in the bed and when i sit to watch tv he's banging on the door. My mother is another.lol. Usually she will call and say something about dropping something off,but usually she get a wild hair and comes over without a phone call and most of the time i'm sleeping and hate being wake up.lol,

1 / 3