Ultrasound Only Found One Kidney!

Hi Moms! I just left my docs office after having a third ultra sound for my second pregnancy. The first untrasound was at 18 weeks, second at 30 and third at 33. The first found everything to be ok. After the second, they indicated that my baby only has one kidney. The third ultrasound confirmed this. They're saying that there's a slight possibility that the kidney COULD BE someplace other than where it is expected to be, and to have the baby checked out at birth.

I am concerned because of the seemingly nonchalant attitude of the health care providers. They're saying, "Oh, your baby will be fine, there are lots of people out there with only one kidney..." I think this is a major problem and I am afraid that my newborn will have a difficult life. I was given no further advice and wasnt referred to anyone else for any further discussion.

What should I do?

Thanks for all of your feedback! Very comforting during a time of need! We finally had our son a few weeks ago and he has both kidneys! The doctors could not see the other kidney because it was located lower than usual, in the pelvic region. We've seen a urologist and both are functioning properly. What a relief! Thanks again Moms!

My father at the age of 77 discovered he only had one kidney after having an x-ray. He has lived a very active life having farmed until the age of 65. He is now 86 years old and has never had a kidney problem. After reading others comments it appears to happen more than we think. Try not to let this stress you out and think possitive thoughts. I know, better said than done.

My 41 year old husband was born with 1 kidney. He didn't find out about it until his early 30s. He has lived a totally normal life.

You should also still consider that ultrasounds can be WRONG...and often are. So long as the one kidney is healthy, there is no reason why your child won't live a perfectly normal life. Many people donate kidneys as an adult and recover, along with the recipients, to have no impaired function.

The only limitation that I've ever heard recommended is to avoid contact sports in order to avoid the possibility of damaging the remaining kidney.

I actually just googled "born with one kidney" and it says that 1 in 750 people are born with one kidney. That is a lot of people!

It is frustrating when healthcare providers aren't attuned to our emotions when this sort of news is relayed. Try not to take it personally, can you imagine what emotional wrecks doctors and nurses would be if they didn't keep a little distance?

You'll be okay. Your child will be okay. We have crazy good healthcare in this country. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and just get it checked after delivering by a pediatric urologist.

I don't think you should be overly concerned. Check with the doctors and follow through with what they say. Things are much more readily treated now than before. I can understand why you would worry, but I have some experience with this turning out just fine.

The medical professionals seem nonchalant about this because of their experience and exposure. To them it is within in the norm, routine. Your baby is not routine to you. That is understandable.

My DH is a grandpa. He has only one kidney and never even knew it til recently. No problems at all. His life has been completely normal. He even played high school football without problems. (People with only one kidney are not usually allowed to play football because of the remote possibility of kidney injury).

Another friend, now in his fifties, also has one kidney. Since he knew it in advance, he was not allowed to play HS football. He has not restricted his life in any other way. He is perfectly normal and healthy.

I hope you find this reassuring! Enjoy your pregnancy and give the baby a hug for me once born.

My daughter had urinary reflux and basically has one kidney that isnt at a high level and one great kidney! I know.. not the same situation as you, but I was worried if that one bad kidney got hit or if she fell off her bike and then she would only have one kidney and the Nephroligist told us the same thing. You can live with one kidney. Not what you want to hear as a parent, but at the same time.....good news considering. My mother-in-law was kicked by a horse and only has one kidney now and she is fine also. I know it's frightening and as a parent you have every right to be very concerned and worried. I was and would be too! I know its hard, but try to hang in there!

CHILL! They're right. I know of someone who only has one kidney. NO problems!!

J -

My nephew was born with only one kidney. He is now almost 4, and has never had a problem. They do ultrasounds (yearly I think) to make sure everything is working properly. It has not been an issue for his health.

Jessica

If you feel that it is something to be concerned about, then I would say do your own research and educate yourself as much as possible. You have a fair amount of time to get up to speed on the topic in the event that your little one is truly only going to have one kidney to function on. I am almost certain that if the doctors felt it was something that was going to change your child's life as he grows that they would discuss this with you. Trust in the Lord that He has placed the right doctors in your care with the wisdom to help you through this. :-) Congratulations on expecting!

I will have to echo your health care provider. There are plenty of people with only one kidney and most of them do just fine (many don't even know!).

I understand that it is upsetting, but as your doctor said, nothing is for sure at this point. Ultrasounds have become pretty good, but they do not catch everything. The kidney not being in it's expected location can happen too.

Try to relax. Go back to your doctor and get more information ....

1 / 3