Ugh. Full Bladder for Ultrasound

Does anyone else just have major trouble doing this?
I have an ultrasound tomorrow, and of course they want me to have a popping full bladder, and drink 40 oz Of water.
Well i just cant do it, last time i drank till it was coming out of my ears, then i go in the room, and she tells me i havent drunk enough! Even though i Am pretty much leaving a trail of wee behind me when i walk. I never seem to be able to drink enough, and frankly it hurts
Any tips?
Anyone else have this trouble?

M. G - I didn't know this either until I started having ultrasounds, but rather than use the bladder as a point of reference, they apparently use the full bladder as a magnifying glass, and also the fullness of it pushes the other organs into a better position for viewing.
Ugh, just ugh

You need to go to a different practice. A new ultrasound machine does not require a full bladder. Believe me, I am right with you. For my first two babies, I had to have a full bladder ages 11 and 7 but for my youngest 18 months, I didn't.

I just didn't do it--I always have bad nausea and even if I could drink that much water I would just throw it up--no one has ever said anything...

I just had to do it. I used the restroom then started drinking my first 20 oz. Then I drank the last 20 oz in the waiting room. It worked.

It is incredibly uncomfortable, but it is necessary for an accurate picture. The only thing that remotely helped me was to schedule the appointment in the morning and then "pace out" my water over 2 or 3 hour period of time with most of it right at the end- literally draining a bottle of water in the waiting room.

Of course, then the tech spends 10 minutes pushing around on your stomach which doesn't help, but you can ask to use the bathroom before looking at the pictures. At my doctor's office, the potty is literally across from the ultrasound room on purpose!

Water makes me throw up... so I drink a lot of coffee or lemonade before and ultrasound. I start about 4 hours ahead of time. Does double duty, since as a diuretic it heads almost straight to the bladder, and pulls extra water along with it.

What I wonder, however, is how large your bladder is? My cousin's bladder is 1/3 the size of most adult bladders, and it doesn't stretch very well (she pees about every 20 minutes, and always has). So she just tells ultrasound techs to let her lay 1/2 upside down if the need her organs moved upwards.

((TMI TRICK: If you can drink yourself to needing to pee so bad so bad before you appt... masturbate a little bit -or a lot, doctor's orders ya know ;). Becoming sexually aroused shuts off the urinary response. Your bladder will be as full, but the nerves that poke the brain saying 'gotta go gotta go gotta go' gets turned on "mute" for 20-30 minutes after you're no longer aroused. Sometimes orgasming make the response come back faster, sometimes slower. So try it out a few times to figure out how your system handles it. Again. Oh darn.))

i never had a have a full bladder for an ultra sound they always tell me go to the bathroom and empty my bladder.

I can't do it! My DD in MD, I didn't need a full bladder for any US. In KS, with DS just last year, I needed a full bladder for both. Well, I couldn't do it..tried on the first one with just 1/2 of what they said, and still writhing in pain and basically peed on the poor woman tech so she let me go and then did a transvag one. The second one, I knew it wasn't really necessary, so I had 1/2 bottle of water on my way in. I have a weak bladder to begin with...can't hold it to save my life. It shouldn't be a problem if you're not bursting at the seams!.

I always cheated :o) I would eat a few slices of watermelon and have a bottle of water along the way. I've had 3 babies and at least 7 ultrasounds (for various reasons; babies all turned out just fine) and the only time anyone commented on my 'less than bursting full' bladder was my last one - and she was a student tech.

I was in tears the last time i had a test like that. The nurse said i could go and let a little out. I let a little more than a little, ugh! The test still worked, thank god. I hate having to hold that much. It is so painful and uncomfortable. Hopefully you can get permission to relieve yourself a little.

I know how you feel. I just had one on Tuesday and I drank 2 full bottles of water 1 hour before my appointment. Thought I was going to explode and she told me that my bladder wasn't full. I was like what are you crazy! LOL! So because this was the first for my pregnany they had to do a trans vaginal because my bladder wasn't full. She let me go to the bathroom so that it was empty to do the trans and as she was doing that she goes "oh look your bladders full". You have got to be kidding me. It's hard for me to drink so much water. I am not a big fan of water. I will drink it but not that much. So when they tell me that I have to drink water I actually dread it cause it's never enough.

1 / 3