Typical Meals for a 13-Month Old?

Hi there! I have a 13-month old (who is on the very small side) and I am a first-time mother. I am wondering what a "typical" days worth of meals consists of. So, I thought I'd throw this out there to hopefully get some good responses of what you feed (or fed) your early toddler for meals and snacks. I am desperately needing some new ideas.

Also, how much milk should he be getting at this point? He got sick with wheezing and coughing right after I started feeding him yogurt, so my ped told me to hold off on the dairy for a bit. He is still nursing, sometimes during the day, sometimes not, but always has a good session before bed and right when he gets up. Is this enough if I'm not giving him whole milk yet? What are some options if it's not enough?
Thanks in advance!

K.,
My children always ate everything we did, but they love tofu, rice and beans. Grilled chicken, beef, salmon, pork. Just cut them smal enough for their age. They also like brocolli, green beans, edamame (soy bean).

Have you ever tried garden burger patties cut up very very small? my kids are older now 2.5 and 5 years old but they love garden burgers even with no bun. When my kids went through the dipping phase around 22 months she loved to dip them in mild BBQ sauce. Also my kids love cream of wheat (on the runny side no super thick). Just make sure eveything is small and not a chocking hazzard at this age.
Best of luck!!

My daughter is 12 months and she loves to eat! For snacks we offer crackers or the dried puffs (come in veggie or fruit). For breakfast she'll eat diced bananas with Cherrios, oatmeal, muffins. For lunch she'll eat lunchmeat and cheese or pbj (yes, it's earlier then recommended but we have not history of allergies). For dinner she'll eat mac & cheese, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, any veggie we're eating....we are always careful to cut everything to the appropriate size.

Here is what I did with my five children (currently ages 12 to 27):

Breakfast was always a whole grain cereal and fruit, with whole grain toast and a healthy spread (we did nut butters; now peds say to wait till age 2). Water to drink.

Lunch (is our "dinner"): An entree cut into toddler sized bites or mashed in the Happy Baby Food Grinder (a life saver!). We are total vegetarians so I can't tell you about meat. We had with it a vegetable and another side dish like brown rice. Water to drink.

Supper: a light meal usually consisting of fruits and grains, or some soup. We also like to make oven fries for supper, cutting potatoes into "fries" shapes, shaking them in a zip-lock bag with garlic salt and onion powder, then baking on a cookie sheet them for 40 minutes at 375.

We gave our children only breastmilk and water to drink. No juice or dairy. Also, one thing that helps children to eat really well is to never let them snack between meals. They will actually gain weight better if offered food only at meal time. If you offer them a wide variety of fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes they will learn to love and eat most everything.

Some easy toddler foods are hummus, cut up waffles, cubed tofu, and cubed whole grain breads.

I just mainly wanted to let you know that dairy (milk) is not necessary for any human to be healthy.
Let's see, my youngest is now three, and he has a dairy alergy, so I'm trying to think back to what he ate at that age.....Well, my youngest eats anything, so let me see, what did my middle eat?
I think he pretty much ate whatever we were eating, just w/ a little variation. Watch for choking hazards like whole grapes and sliced banana, just cut it smaller. My best advice it to offer him what you are eating, give him soy/rice/almond milk in stead of cow, and focus on lots of green veggies for his calcium. The younger you start them, the better the chances of continuing to eat healthy!

HI
My baby is 15 months and I give him whole milk (darigold) 8 oz at ninght and 8 oz of soy milk (silk) at morning the doc told me that 16 oz is good enough at his age, and about the reaction about yogurth I guess sometimes is normal because is the first time ..I also give him 1 yogurth a day (yobaby organic/ DHA ) I t has more calcium that milk..
breakfast : oatmeal, eggs, cereal, french toast and always fruit.
luch: chicken, beef, vegetables (always ) I tried at the beggining always offer different kind to see wich one he likes more I cooked with butter just a touch...also offer pennut better ,jelly with babana, or rice with chiken and veggies
dinner : wherever I cooked ....pastas, chicken soups, stew, anything as long as is healthy ...my son is really picky but he love tomatoes sauce so I just cooked all kind of veggies and mix it with tomtoes sauce and I added wherever...
snacks : fruits, finger fruit (gerber littles) (yogurth, cheese with prezzels,tofu ( great you can mix it with anything because dosent taste nothing and super healthy) and more
good luck
I tried not to be to picky and to protective with him he is my first baby and I want him to be healthy so /I dont give him sugar (I'll try as long as I can....
As a moms we all learn what is the best of them
good luck..

It partly depends on the number of teeth he has, but I fed my daughter applesauce, all fruits that are soft- berries, bananas, watermelon, kiwi, grated cheese, rice cakes, cooked carrots, peas, avocado, tomatoes (cut up small), kidney beans, noodles, tiny pieces of bread, scrambled eggs, pancakes, oatmeal. I think lots of variety keeps them interested in meals. It also works best to eat together, so he can mimic what you are doing. Most kids don't eat very much at the beginning, but it's great practice and helps finger dexterity, too. He will eat as much as he needs and your breast milk will cover the rest.

It is always best to try new foods slowly (a new one every 3 days) so if he reacts to something, then you know the culprit.

The fact that your son got sick with yogurt could be a good thing, letting you know that he does not need milk products at all. It is so sad that so many doctors are pushing the myth that cow's milk is good for humans, it is not. It causes so many health problems, see notmilk.com. And there are plenty of far better sources of all the nutrients humans need in plant foods. Since you're breastfeeding (good for you!), you don't need to be concerned about what he's eating, as long as you offer him a variety of wholesome foods (and no junkfoods), so he can choose what his body needs.

I have a 13 month old as well...she loves food! Breakfast is usally real oatmeal, (I cook the steel cut oats a little longer for her and add her DHA fish oil)some fruit and 6oz milk (lactaid 100% lactose free). Sometimes a little yogurt too. Lunch is usually half a tofu dog, steamed veggies and cut up fruit. She's loving grapes, bluebereries and melons right now and 4oz milk. Snack is 4-6oz milk-strawberry smoothie, crackers and cheese. Dinner is a whole wheat pasta of some sort...and she loves tomato sauce...and more steamed veggies and 6oz milk.
Some of her other favorite foods are
Grilled cheese (using olive oil instead of butter)
Lactose free mac and cheese (organic freezer section)
sliced deli meat or cut up chicken
soup
avocado is by far one of her favorites.
My docters advice with milk is 15-20oz a day. If you can't use whole milk like me...try the lactose free lactaid. But remember you have to make sure to add fat in his diet if he's not getting it in his milk. Like adding butter to veggies.
Have fun!

1 / 3