Two Year Old Waking up Screaming After Nap Each Day

Hi Moms,
I have a little miracle preemie who is now 2 years and 3 months old girl who is normally a happy toddler during the day. However, after her nap in the afternoon she always wakes up in a tantrum of rolling around crying, doesn't want to open her eyes, doesn't want me to hold her but also doesn't want me to ignore her... This waking up process until she calms down takes from 30 min. up to an hour. I wonder if she has any neurological issues being a preemie? The doctor said they're called "night terrors" and that she'll outgrow them, but this has been going on for 6 months! It saddens me to see her torture herself and feel miserable and I feel powerless to help. Any ideas how I can help her wake up happy from her nap and/or anyone else have this issue with their child?

Both my boys went through night terrors. It's horrible for the parent but the child doesn't remember a thing. It takes quite a while to outgrow it but they do eventually. Both my boys were full term.
Dr Sears' website has a wonderful article about them here:
http://askdrsears.com/html/7/t071300.asp
It's got suggestions and such on things that might help lessen the amount.
Good luck! It does pass.

My son was 8 weeks preemie and I'm pretty sure any neurological issues are usually caught in the first year, especially is you keep up with the post-OT/PT that is usually prescribed for preemie infants.

As for the night terrors, yes it's totally normal and can last for a while. Definitely do some research on-line and see what the best solution is for you and your little one. With my son I usually just sit and let him work it out, and then hold him while he comes down from the upswing of emotions and fear. It can be more disturbing if we do something and intercede than if we just let is pass until they really know we're there and can accept the comfort for what it is.

Good Luck.

My son (not a preemie) did that until he quit napping. TOTALLY discombobulated, tantrum throwing, hugely pissed off...the list could go on and on.

We found out early (around 1.5), he was just hungry. If I could pop a bottle in his mouth, as soon as he started swallowing...the "possession" ;) would pass...and I could pick him up and take him out of bed and into the livingroom, sit him in my lap, and get him to eat some real food. Instant happy, lovey boy back. Milk would hold off the beast, but unless he got something more substantial into him...he'd be cranky cranky cranky until he went back to sleep again.

This whole thing started a few months after switching from his major source of nutrients being milk or formula, to solid foods.

I'd like to say he clued in eventually...but no, Until naptime ceased to be, he'd wake up flying apart, Mornings I had more time, for some reason...He'd wake up (but actually be awake and not in a fit), I'd make him scrambled eggs, he'd eat. Naptime though, was a MISERY until we figured out what was up for him.

How you described your daughter was a dead on example for us, so I'd definately try seeing if the warm-milk + food thing helps. Can't guarantee it, of course, but that was our experience. Oy. And what an experience.

R

My daughter was like that, and so is my friends daughters.

For us, we "let" my daughter wake up according to HER rhythm and timing. We "learned" to not rush in or pick her up or even to talk... until she was ready to interact. As she got older, she grew out of it... and then would actually tell us that us interfering in her "waking" was just irksome. She explained she needed her own way, to wake up... and to wake up fully, then she was "ready" to engage.
If we "rushed" her out of it... it just triggered her negatively.

Lots of kids just do not wake up very "happy" or pleasantly. My sister was like that too. Many people just are not 'morning people' or what not.

And yes, read up on "Night Terrors"... online. It is developmental based. And yes, it can last more than 6 months.

Try to go according to your child's rhythm... if she does not want to be picked up or held right away, then don't. It is her "telling you" what she needs, at that moment.

For my daughter, from a deep nap.. .it would take her about 1/2 hour to fully become "perky" again... and she just liked to have quiet... and her own "space" upon waking. BUT... like your daughter, she liked our "company"... in other words, just knowing we were nearby or in the room with her... just like a lamp. Then when she was ready, she'd start talking to us and being her regular perky/fun self again. She was just not always a good "waker-upper". But now that she is older, she is not like that. She matured out of that "nap/sleep" TRANSITION upon waking.

It is them, "transitioning" from sleepfulness to wakefulness. Not every child, NOR adults... wake nicely or calmly or pleasantly.
My sister is like that, still.

Don't feel YOU "have to wake her" from her slumber. Let her wake in her own way. Letting her 'cue' you....

All the best,
Susan

Good luck! It does pass.

My son (2 1/2) used to do this too. It honestly felt that he was mad that he got tricked into taking a nap. I would tell him to call me when he was ready for me, and then I'd leave the room. After screaming for up to half an hour, it would be like a switch went off, and he'd calmly call for me.

Even so, it was really tough to go through day after day. I finally broke the cycle by giving him milkshakes as his reward for napping. They were really little milkshakes and they were mostly milk, but it really helped. If he woke up cranky and I offered the milkshake, he'd instantly snap out of his bad mood. More often than not, he would wake up and just sweetly ask for it. I ended up only having to do this for a couple of months, and now the crabby wake-ups are rarely an issue.

Hi G.,
Wow, that must be difficult to go through every day. I have a 27 month old girl and she used to wake up from naps crying. I would go in there and she would push me away and not want to get out of her crib. Now, I have learned to wait and not go in there until she calls my name. It was so frustrating for me cause I didn't know what to do.....so I ended up leaving her alone. Is your daughter in a bed or crib? If she is in her crib, then that's what I would do. If she is in her bed, does she get out of it? Just don't go to her, and let her figure out how to calm down on her own. Hopefully, she will grow out of it eventually. My toddler had some wierd things she used to do. All of a sudden, in one day, she would stop doing it. She also started sleeping through the night after waking up at least one time a night for 2 years. Last month she just started sleeping through until 6:30am....Ya for me!!
Oh, I also don't think they are night terrors. Just a bad habit to get attention.
Hopefully, your situation will change soon.
goodluck!

I went through the same thing with my oldest, as did my sister in laws sister.I have no real advise, just can say I understand how you feel and all you can do is be there for her and I am sure she will grow out of it. I can't imagine that it has anything to do with "night terrors", I never got that feeling when my son did it. If she has other things like sensitivity to loud noises, aversion to touch or gets overwhelmed with too much stimulus you might consider taking her to an Occupational Therapist for a consult. Good luck!!!!

my son is 3.5 years and if he naps he wakes up cranky ..throwing tantrums too..the only way he doesn't do that is if he naps in the car and we are somewhere good when he wakes up...now i dread naps and try to have him not nap! He's been a cranky waker upper since he was an infant..not a preemie..he was a week late..i think a lot of children are like that.

1 / 3