Two Year Old Frequent Vomiting with No Fever

My youngest son is twenty- three months. He used to occassionally vomit and so I thought it was food allergy/poisoning since no fever or other symptoms presented themselves. After eliminating foods to no avail the situation has moved to the more frequent once a week thing. He exhibits normal behavior after the deed is done. He used to cough before but that is not always the case now. I thought it was a peanut allergy and husband thinks it may be Acid Reflux. Took him to ER once and they were not very helpful.

Well I know it has been awhile. After several insurance calls we were able to get a different pediatrician...LOVE HER!!!! I kept a food diary and through the diary was able to figure out the culprit of the vomiting on my own. One night he threw up and so I looked at what previous events had transpired and he had ate some of the dogs food that was in her bowl. He could reach where I stored it. So after moving it the problem has not been replicated. WOOHOO!!!! Thanks to all you lovely ladies so eager to help out with advice and comforting words...

My daughter did that after drinking milk and come to find out she had allergies. I would ask his Dr. and see if he may need to go on allergy med.

I would guess either acid reflux or just a strong gag reflex. I have a wonderful Pediatrician in M'boro Dr Eastham at Tennessee Pediatrics. ###-###-#### He would be able to help!

My daughter would vomit a lot especially first thing in the morning. We found out is was sinus drainage that would settle on her stomach over night and make her sick, the doctor suggested we give her Alavert (over the counter allergy medicine) at night before she went to bed and it seemed to help a lot.

He may have some acid reflux. May need to be on meds. J.

I would definitely take him to be seen. It sounds like it could be an allergy issue. You say there are no other symptoms? Does he sit up correctly, nose runny, etc? I would take him to be seen in case there are other things going on.

I would start with the pediatrician. Ask for a referral to have him checked by a GI specialist. My niece used to have the same problem. Found out her tonsils were blocking her sinuses and her wind pipe. She was struggling to breathe... that is why she was throwing up. She was older though.. so I'm not sure how well that translates.

Keep us posted.

could it be sinus drainage?

A., You know your baby better then anyone. Sounds like you have been trying to find the problem on your own for some time. I wouldn't wait another minute...take him to the nearest Free clinic or childrens Hospital.
My grandson was born with a seriou problem and through his life he has had to go back for surgery to open his esophagus and from his stomach to his intestines.Also his stomach was behind his liver (pinched nearly closed)at birth.
The doctors weren't concerned either with his case as an infant...I kept insisting and his parents finally took him. There was a problem, it wasn't what he was eating or any allergies. Take Him Honey and put your mind ay ease!!!!!!!
One word of caution..if at first you get no satisfaction...KEEP TRYING!!!!!
We had our grandson at the best hospital in our area...Lehboner in Memphis.
However, as he has aged..he is 11 now, Lehboner was faced with something so rare... They had No idea what was wrong;they refered him to St. Judes.
St. Judes knew exactly what they were looking at when Austin got there.
I am just saying, "There is an answer for you and your baby.... Don't give up!!!!"
I will be praying for you!!!!
The Blessings of the Lord be upon You and Your Loved ones!!!
LaDonna

I HAVE FOUR BOYS AND THREE OF THEM HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. FIRST I HAD TWINS AND ONE OF THEM WAS DIAGNOSED WITH COLIC, BUT THE THING WAS HIS STOMACH DID NOT HURT, SO WE FOUND OUT IT WAS ACID REFLUX TOO LATE. THEN HE GREW OUT OF IT. MY MIDDLE CHILD FROM THE TIME HE WAS A BABY AND HE WAS BREASTFED COULD NOT HOLD DOWN ANYTHING, FINALLY MY PEDIATRICIAN PUT HIM ON LIQUID ZANTAC ONVE DAILY. WORKED LIKE A CHARM, HE ONLY HAD TO TAKE IT FOR HIS FIRST YEAR. SINCE SHE IS TWO SHE MIGHT NEED TO TAKE IT A LITTLE LONGER, CHECK WITH YOUR PEDIATRICIAN. MY LAST AND MY YOUNGEST HAD THE SAME PROBLEM BUT MORE EXTREME, AND THE ZANTAC DID NOT WORK THEN TO COME TO FIND OUT HE HAD GERD WHICH IS ACID REFLUX BUT IT IRRITATES YOUR LINING OF YOUR ESOPHOGAUS WHEN IT COMES UP SO IT HURTS WORSE AND LASTS LONGER. ALSO WE FIND OUT HE HAS ASTHMA NOT ALLERGIES, WE DID NOT KNOW AT FIRST BECAUSE IT WAS NOT EXTREME ASTHMA BUT BAD ENOUGH. THE ASTHMA WOULD MAKE HIS GERD ACT UP WORSE. SO WE ENDED UP HAVING TO TREAT HIS ASTHMA FIRST. THEY ENDED UP PUTTING HIM ON A NEBULIZER WITH TWO MEDECINES TWICE A DAY. YOU CAN IMAGINE HOW MUCH FUN THAT WAS. THEN I CAME ACROSS THIS COMPANY THAT HAD PRODUCTS I COULD BUY WITHOUT THE CHEMICALS AND MADE WITH NATURAL THINGS AND IT DID NOT COST ME AN ARM AND A LEG. AFTER USING THESE PRODUCTS IN MY HOME FOR A MONTH I WAS ABLE TO GET HIM OFF THE NEBULIZER AND HE HAS NOT HAD TO GO BACK ON IT. AFTER THAT HIS GERD STRAIGHTENED UP AND HE FINALLY STARTED GAINING HEAVY WEIGHT TO CATCH UP WITH WHAT HE WASN'T GAINING IN THE BEGINNING. HE IS TWO AND NOW VERY HEALTHY. THESE PRODUCTS HAVE HELPED MY WHOLE FAMILY AND I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL YOU ANYTHING JUST HELP MOMS LIKE YOU. SO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN FINDING OUT MORE ABOUT THESE PRODUCTS YOU CAN EITHER CALL ME ###-###-#### OR EMAIL ME ____@____.com OR CHECK MY WEBSITE OUT AT WWW.WORKATHOMEUNITED.COM/MYFOURSONS. IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THE PRODUCTS I HOPE THE OTHER SUGGESTIONS I GIVE WILL BE HELPFUL. G.

I scanned all the previous responses. "GERD" is "acid reflux". All the suggestions are good, but I didn't notice anyone mentioning GERD positioning. As your youngest, he may be trying to exceed his physical comfort levels after he eats to keep up with his older brother and/or his friends.
After he eats, avoid exercise or bending. Try to keep his head elevated and, if possible, position his body on his right side (food drains from the stomach to the lower right). Even sitting upright in a chair can potentially make his already small stomach a bit smaller applying pressure to the inner contents and forcing food upwards.
So, for example, after he eats, hold him in an easy chair with his right side stretched to you and his head to your chest while you both watch a movie and he falls asleep. Or, he can watch a movie lying on his right side against the left arm of the couch with a pillow so his torso is stretched with his head elevated.
Avoid tight waistbands.
I would also try small, frequent meals (grazing) instead of main meals and would avoid encouraging him to eat more than he wants. If he is getting peer pressure to keep up with the quantities from the big brother, maybe for awhile they should eat separately.
Frankly, I would only ask for GERD medications if he continues vomiting after trying these techniques.
Keep a diary of his activities and types and quantities of foods that he ingests before the vomiting. Also, describe the vomiting; dribble, regular, or projectile, freshly eaten or partially-digested food, clear or green liquid, and an
approximate quantity.
I think the pediatrician needs to know about the vomiting immediately if he appears uncomfortable, if the vomit is usually only liquid, and/or if it projects.
Frankly, I would only ask for GERD medications if he continues vomiting after trying these techniques or if the doctors insist.
Good luck! He sounds like a healthy kid!

1 / 3