Two-year Old's Genital Discovery

My almost 2-year-old daughter has begun to really notice and enjoy her genitals. I know that this is normal, but she's taken to "humping" my leg and various objects now. She's starting to do it in front of other people and I'm a bit embarrassed. I've tried ignoring and distracting her, but it doesn't always work. She's very focused! Just wondering if others had been through this and how you dealt with it (particularly if you have a girl).

Just so you know you are not alone! Mi little one did the same thing, n ow she is almost 3 and I would say that she forgot about it. She used to do it when she was sleepy or bored, I used to pick her up and distract her. Sometimes it wouldn't stop or would start again, but usually she'd find something else to do or fell asleep.
Wouldn't worry now, she is too young and as you can tell now, it is common, I was also embarassed at the beginning since my first daughter never did it.
Hopefully it will go away on it's own like mine!
www.MyKidsFirst.com

I am having some similar issues with my little girl, and I also tend to try to distract her, I wouldnt make that big a deal out of it though. If she is anything like my daughter it seems like the more attention I pay to it the more she will. Good luck.

Let me first say that your daughter is very normal and she hasn't seen anything like a movie, an animal, or a person do this. This is a very normal part of growing up and some of us never have had to deal with it and others of us have all the time.

So don't think that if you have kissed your husband or sat next to him on the couch that she knows about sex because she don't and also don't think that you have let somebody come over and they have shown her to do this. You haven't done anything wrong and nobody should incinuate that you have or allowed her to see something inapropriate.Your daughter is not "weird" or gonna grown up to be a sexal predator or anything like that, thats just stupid and insane. That being said heres my advice like others have said when she does start doing this tell her we do not do it in public places your living room, restaurants, stores and etc, we only do these things in our room with the door shut. In my opinion I wouldn't carry her to her room I would tell her to go to her room herself and make sure she gets there. If she is doing this when you are getting ready to leave I would tell her no now is not the time and lets go wash your hands and we have to go bye bye or we have to go eat now. I would make sure she washes her hands after she comes out of her room. And when you geive her a bath start showing her the proper way to clean her body. Sitting in soapy water isn's going to do it. This will keep the risk of a yeast infection down. My daughter is 3 and I have tought her how to wash her body and her private parts herself. And it didn't have anything to do with this.

I have 4 children and in each child I have dealt with this in various forms such as humping, touching and things like this. I think this is a very private matter I would only tell the people that need to know, I would also talk to your daycare provider and agree on what she is gonna do if she starts doing it there. I watch a little girl right now that discovered this also, her mother and I talked about what we were gonna do and came to an agreement. I do not allow her to do this here at daycare (beacuse of other children around) but her mother decides at her discression where and when if you know what I'm saying (such as if they are getting ready to eat or leave). This doesn't mean that her mother or I are doing anything inappropriate. I have seen it sometimes in the kids I watch or have watched. They are children and they are discovering themselves and they should not be made fun of or made an outcast because of it.

In my opinon she being a girl, she will have to deal with many things as she gets older and she needs to be comfortable in her own skin. You are her mother and later on you will have to guide her. All of us with little girls will one day have to go training bra shopping and buy their first box of pads, we all better get comfortable because they are not gonna stop growing up or wait for us.

I will say again you have done nothing wrong and this is very normal and alot of us have gone through it, still going through it, and it has picked back up again.

So ladies that have boys you will see this again later on in your sons lives, you will notice lotion bottles diappearing, shampoo, bars of soap, body wash and anything else. It's a natural, healthy thing.

Lay down some rules that she has to follow with this behavior and follow through with it. Hope this helps you W.

It absolutely infuriates me that people would accuse a child care provider that they do not know in any shape or form that this is where this little girl could be getting this from. And if you other people that are giving opinions such as this than you might as well accuse us all. I have watched plenty of children and known plenty that this is a normal stage of growing up including my own and the 3 oldest ones have never seen anything inapropriate. And to accuse the parent that she is allowing her 2 yr old to watch an inapropriate tv show is absouletly absurd. Most 2 yr olds can barely sit still let alone watch a tv show of this nature. When you are gonna give opinions that say a child care provider is doing wrong than you should make sure you know the child care provider and not accuse or incinuate, and just keep your unneeded comment to yourself.

I'm sorry J. but that is uncalled for. I have a 2 yr old that I watch right now and she does the same sort of thing and I have done nothing wrong at all or allowed her to watch something inapropriate. And it is not the first child that has done it and it surely wont be the last. This is a normal part of growing up and a stage in life she is going through.

My pediatrician said to never tell her not to because she shouldn't associate it as something bad but to tell her that it's private and if she is going to do that she needs to go to her room to do it. It decreased the frequency for my daughter but she still jumps up every now and then and heads to her room for 15 minutes and she's 4 - crazy huh? :)
I was a little freaked out when it started with her but Dr. assured me all is well and normal
Now I have to add (after seeing the dog comments) that that is ridiculous - it IS normal - she is not copying behavior that she's seen. Please don't give a 2nd thought to the negative comments you've heard - what's she's doing is human nature - just try to encourage her to keep it private

When my daughter was about 1 and a half she was doing the same thing. I took her to the doctor for one of her check-ups and she noticed that my little one had a yeast infection. So although self discovery is normal you might want to check in to that.

To be honest, in 20 years of daycare and raising 4 daughters of my own, I've never heard of such a thing. Sure, I've had the occasional child reach for their privates during a diaper change. And I've seen a great many children around 4-5 years of age discover themselves and have had to teach them it's innappropriate to be putting their hands in their pants in that way, especially in front of people. But I've never heard of any child any age trying to rub themselves on anything like a leg or an object through their clothes and diaper. My gut feeling say's this really isn't completely normal but I don't want to say that something bad has happened to her either. But I think it warrants a little investigating.

Is it possible she has seen a dog do the same and is copying? Do you or the daycare have a dog that does this?

Like the other mother, I told my boys, and the neices I babysat this was a private thing to do and they needed to stay in their rooms with the door closed to do it.

Look for books at the library about Private parts and read them to her. It's My Body is the only one I can think of from the Safe Touching classes my son took when we thought he was being molested.

I don't know about girls, but my oldest son found his around 2 and started humping the floor...I talked to the dr about it and she said it was completely normal, and that it only gets worse...I always thought it was excessive...he would do it whenever the mood struck (at the park, at grandma's house, at daycare...etc.). Everyone I talked to had never heard of this, so it was a little frustrating...and very embarrassing. I just had to take him aside, and tell him that it was OK, but there is a time and place for that because it is private. I told him that he needed to either go to his room, or the bathroom...and that he should not do it at daycare. If he started to do it in the living room, I would pick him up and say, only in the bedroom...and carry him in....He's now 8, and still does it, but only in his room...Weird, I know, but what can you do?

Hope this helps....It wouldn't hurt to talk to the Dr...I've also heard that people with Bipolar express an interest in their privates, and sex from a very young age...so we're kind of watching him....

Hey J., This is very unusual for an almost 2 year old girl to know what she is doing?! I reckon she is mimicking either the Nanny or watching the wrong T.V. show. Check on her daycare icon and you may be surprised!! Good luck.

www.MyKidsFirst.com

1 / 3