Two-month Old with Reflux - Help!!

I am beginning to lose my mind a little here. My two month old was diagnosed with reflux last Tuesday and has been taking Zantac since. On Thursday we started giving him Mylanta twice a day in addition to the Zantac. What caught the doctor's attention is that Max has only been sleeping 3 or 4 hours at a time at night. He doesn't spit up much, but he does like to be held more upright and I can hear stuff coming up his throat and then he swallows it back down. He also has a coughing/wheezing sound when he cries, which the doctor explained is the reflux as well because crying can cause it to come up as well. I have severeal questions for those of you out there who have faced this issue. When did you begin to notice symptoms of reflux in your baby and when did they stop? How long did it take the medicine to start working? When did your infant begin sleeping better at night - like 6 hours at a stretch? Did you swaddle your infant? When did you stop swaddling? (I am probably going to post separately about this one as well) If you had an older child, how did you handle soothing the infant and taking care of the older one at the same time? I feel like I am constantly being pulled away from her and putting her needs on hold and she is only 2. I feel so incredibly guilty because I feel like I am not giving either of them what they need. What, in general, worked for you to help get you through this? Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.

Had the same problem with my son. We noticed it right away; unfortunately, it lasted until he was about 8 mos old. We took him to a pediatric GI dr. who was wonderful! Dr. Belkin out of Beaumont. The Zantac didn't work for my son. We had to put him on something else-it worked much better. I suggest giving him a call.

I have 2 kids.. both had reflux but it was different with each of them.

My daughter fussed and cried and spit up every time we laid her flat. even if it had been over an hour after she had eaten if you laid her flat to change a diaper .. milk would come oozing out of her mouth.. We started her on zantac at about 8 weeks.. it helped her quite a bit. I would say within days or certainly a week. she was a terrible nighttim sleeper from the beginning. we tried putting her to bed in a bouncy chair for while. It was a rough time. Teh zantac helped but the biggest help for her was starting on solid foods at about 4-5 months.. once she was eating rice cereal her food stayed in and she was much happier. We swaddled her for months. I was a walking zombie.. she did not sleep at night.

My son had had worse reflux he spit up every day for 14 months.. every single day... he was the happiest baby. never cried. we tried zantac it didnt help we tried prevacid it didnt help... I stopped both meds and did lots of laundry. He slept at night from day 1 often would sleep from 11-5 am from his first week home..

It is very hard to have 2 young kids. Mine are 18 months apart. Those first few months are very hard. The older child cant do anything for themself and the newborn is a newborn. The reflux is just making things a bit harder for you. The first child gets held and cuddled more and you just dont have the same amount of time for the second child.

It all works out in a year or so they play together and life is totally different.

Hi H.. I am sorry that you are having to deal with reflux in your child. I too have had a child diagnosed with reflux. We were told when my son was a week old that he had reflux. Same situation as you...you could hear stuff coming up, he would swallow constantly to try to force it down, he didn't sleep well, and would lose his breath many times. It is scary to see this in your child and I totally understand where you are coming from. My son was on meds for it for about 4 months. I weaned him off the meds to see if it had improved. It had slightly but not much. I started taking him more to his chiropractor and that helped significantly. So much so that I never put him back on the meds. He is now 7 months old and his relux is almost gone. Only now and again does he have symptoms. I was told that children typically out grow this from about 6 months to a year. Hopefully, your child will outgrow it soon.

ok BREATH!!! LOL The first thing you asked about was reflux? I have had three children with reflux. The best things to do make sure baby is upright when eating, put blocks under one side of his crib so ita up in a slant, so his head is up and his belly is down like. This can take up till a year or two my daighter still has issues and she is 9 shes on prevacid. My son has issues only once in a while depending on what he eats and hes 6. my other one is the same way she has it only on certain food and she takes tums so does my son. Foods that you will need to watch for in the future are citrus, acid foods like spagetti, pinapples, oranges, anything red with food die can give acid reflux and also sweet tarts are the worst. For now keep him up right up to an hr after he eats this is where the baby car seat comes into play you can put him in there to feed and to sit. Your other child issue... You are doing well I am sure but you may need to involve her and explain until he gets older you need to give him some attention more. Have her get diapers for you if you stick him in the car seat she can feed him with your help. Have her help play with him and help bath him. When your husband comes home try to at least three times a week take herwith you to tthgrocery store for an outing or take her to the park or out to do something with just her and you. Spend time alone with her when you can. If baby is sleeping spend that time with her. the other key is to breath in and out and you will need this alot breath down into your abdomen and than exhale list to your breath and it will help your stress get trelieved do it 5 times. If you can 10. Don't forget to take time for you. You are a mom but with out you haveing you time it can't happen smoothly. Its hard when there real small but in time things will work out and you will get a hang of it. You don't have to be at the babies every beck and call either just because he has reflux. If he starts to cry leave him as long as he is in no danger of anything and hes in a safe inviroment also if you use the car seat to put him in when you need to make sandwhich for your daughter or a meal than you can play while your prepairing the food with him or even have the daughter help you. By playing with her brother shes a big sister she has responsibilities have her help out. She will enjoy it and make sure you praise her on how a big sister she is and how much you appreciate her help. She will eat it up. Good luck

Just went through this same exact thing. My daughter has been on Prevacid since she was 10 weeks, worked right away. I wish I would have known she had silent reflux as I would have gotten her meds sooner. She has been the fussiest baby since day 1. As far as sleeping, once on meds I did continue to swaddle her and she still only slept for 3-4 hours. The meds didn't help her sleep longer until she got a little older. Her pedi said that Zantac doens't work for all children so he gave us Prevacid. Hang in there it does get better...there were times when she just had to cry b/c we could do nothing to sooth her.

Unbelievable. A 2 year old on Zantac? Would you like a better solution? No meds. Acid reflux is indigestion. Sometimes the stomach gets moved out of whack and then we can "have dinner" several times over after eating. In other words, regurgitation. Mint often helps. I used to take a dab of toothpaste or chew gum to get the mint helping. And then I discovered that the stomach can be manipulated, much like a chiropractor manipulates the spine. In fact some chiros DO manipulate the stomach.

If you'd like the telephone number to someone who is an herb and supplements distributor AND does muscle testing and manipulation, let me know.

H. you are one of several moms whose babies/children are diagnosed with reflux.

Did you ask your doctor what caused the reflux in your baby?

My daughter from birth to 6 months and 1 week (yes I remember) did not have the "flap" between her esophagus and her stomach developed. I did everything to prevent her from spitting up. It wasn't projectile and she did put on weight. But it developed on her own and at 6 months and 1 week it stopped. Literally like turning off a faucet.

I tell you this as could this be the source of his reflux? I have acid reflux (which can be termed ulcer) and I just do everyday common sense things. For example, chew my food thoroughly and don't eat fast, don't eat right before going to bed, limit spicy foods, and to stay as calm as possible.

I also take supplements to help.

So for a baby to have reflux, what does that mean? And this isn't to insult you or any other mom whose child has reflux. I guess I am confused as to how children get reflux.

First of all let me tell you that this too will pass. Right now it seems so all emcompassing and it seems like it will be this hard forever. It will not. My daughter was diagnosed with reflux when she was 3 days old. She had two spells where she choked, turned blue and I had to turn her over and perform the baby hymlic (spelling?). We rushed her to the pediatrician and he said reflux. I did not believe him because I had never heard of it being that bad that it would cause a child to choke. But after several months of battling it I realized it was. My daughter was very severe. We at one point were thinking we may have to have surgery to correct it. Thankfully enough we found a medication schedule that worked and managed her reflux.

The only thing that managed it for her was to take zantac three times a day. The doc split her dosage up so she took one in the morning, one in the afternoon and one at bed. We saw a GI specialist at Childrens Hospital and that was who helped us figure out her medication. If you find his medication not helping it may take a little creativity. Also some times you will notice it gets worse and that may mean your child has outgrown their dosage and it needs to be increased. All these things should be worked on with your ped or a specialist.

We also had a 21 month old child at the time and it was very hard to manage both. I found that at times when the youngest really needed all my attention I had to get creative. At times I would place a blanket on the floor and some "special" toys for my oldest daughter. I would tell her she can only play on this blanket until mommy is done. These toys could be playdough or stickers, but it was always something she could not play with all the time. Also I found I needed sometimes to turn on one of my oldest childs favorite movies. At the time Elmo and dumbo were her favorites. I would turn them on and her attention was glued for a few moments so I could handle her sister. And also sometimes I just had to ask for help. On days that were really bad I would call a friend or my mom or a sibling. Often just having another adult in the house made life much more managable. And I remember feeling like my oldest daughter was getting so little of my time. I would try to make special times, even if it was only 15 minutes, while the youngest slept to read, cuddle and talk with my oldest.

Now about sleep, I feel for you. Sleep with a reflux baby is very interrupted. My daughter slept for her first four months of life in a swing. Every night all night. Swinging for 8-10 hours. In the swing she would only wake up 1-2 times a night. Laying on her back she woke up every hour. When we did transition to a bed she slept on her tummy alot. I know most times it is not advised, but our pediatrician agreed that it was probably the easiest way for her to transition and the most comfortable for reflux babies. She was almost five months at the time and able to roll over on her own. Since your baby is still very young I would recommend having him sleep upright. Either in a carseat or in his swing or a bouncer seat. I felt like an awful mom for putting my child her swing all night, but looking back I realize it only helped her and me. She was ble to get some sleep and so was I. The first night she slept for an extended period in her swing she woke up so happy. She was miserable from lack of sleep. And she actually had very little problems transitioning to her bed.I was terrified she would never sleep in her crib and would sleep in a swing until she moved to college. LOL. She got to the point where eventually she was so big in the swing she seemed to love the bigness of the bed. That time feels like so long ago, but I remember so clearly how hard and exhausting it was. I felt like it would never end and she would always be waking up. Now she is 15 months old and sleeps all night in her own bed. Even when she moved to the bed she did not sleep all night until 9 months and that was only because I eventually made her cry it out. She stills has some relfux issues, although she has outgrown the very serious chunk of it. She is still on zantac. We tried to wean her a few months back and she had more issues, so we went back on. Most babies do eventually outgrow it so I am hoping she will too.

Hang in there. I tried so hard to think of all the questions you asked and to tell you what I wished someone had told me back then. But if you have any more questions please feel free to ask me. My heart goes out to you.

My daughter has it and I noticed it right away. By one month I had her in the doctor's office because she cried all the time. Her puke smelled really acidy too. I started her on Zantac which worked really well at first. I swaddled her for maybe 2 months, but maybe not quite that long. She really didnt' seem to care about it. But, the doctor did say to prop up her left side in bed or elevate her head after eating for about a half hour, which i did for the first couple months. Then, around 6 months it got worse, so we switched to prevacid. She is 10 months and still has it really bad. She will occasionally choke on it and if she doesn't get her medicine, she pukes up real acidy puke. My doctor said it should get better around a year. BUT, every baby is different!

1 / 3