Twins Soon After Discontinuing Birth Control?

SO I found out on Valentines Day that I am pregnant.Have any of you heard that if you get pregnant during your first ovulation after you stop birth control that it increases the risk of twins? My mom is a twin and and my other grandmother had a set of twins as well. So both set of grandparents had ATLEAST one set (my moms MOM had 2 sets I believe) anyway. I just seem to be gaining wieght fast and was curious if anyone has heard or experienced this... I never had a period since i stopped the pill last period was 12/17/08! I stopped the pill on 1/01/08
Please let me know (sorry its so long)
Thank you!

My sister ended up with twins soon after discontinuing her birth control pill, and twins did not run on either side of the family. I've read about this before, too. It's called the "rebound effect." My twin nieces are now beautiful 14 year old girls. Good luck to you!

I became pregnant immediately after discontinuing my birth control, just like you. I was at a high risk for twins
1. I am Black
2. I am of advanced maternal age
3. I have twins in my family
4. My partner has twins in his family.
I had 1 - one beautiful son, 9 months later.

That's great that you're pregnant! Just a quick side-note for anyone who may be on the pill though: the pill decreases your chance for getting pregnant but it doesn't ELIMINATE it. If you should ovulate and get pregnant, the pill also messes with "other" things and can make your uterus "unhospitable" for the implantation of your new little son or daughter, thus causing an abortion. Since you all sound like such caring moms, just thought you'd want to know that, b/c most Dr.s leave that very important part out!

hello, by all means I don't think it increases your chance of having twins. Although twins run in your family(highly increase your chance of having twins) Not stopping the birth control doesn't. I am a twin, and in my family it skips every generation. So threfore my children have a high risk of having twins. Once twins run in families ( without using fertility help) twins will always run in that family tree.

You definitely should make a doctors appointment.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Biologically speaking, there's no reasoning to support that twins are more likely the first cycle off of birth control. Twins run in your family so that gives you a higher chance of having them no matter when you conceive. I have twin boys who are 5 and it is all so amazing. Most moms gain weight faster with their second pregnancy, too. If you go to your doctor, they can give you a blood test and see if your levels are higher than they should be, which would indicate multiples. I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks where we could see that I had twins. Good luck!

My first question is are you sure you are pregnent? Just because you miss a cycle or two does not necessarily mean you are with child. Thew weight gain may be a matter of biochemical changes in the endrocrine system. Remember that "the pill" contains chemicals that are now absent from your body. Typical physiological responce to this condition is rapid weight gain. Plus you have crested the threshold for natural body adjustments. The human body operates in stages. Each stage is denoted by some physiological change, weight gain, poor vision or hearing, loss of appitite, loss of motivation, and so on. This is the bodys production method of adjusting to new environments and conditions. You say your 25. You are fully out of your primary physical and psycholgical development stages. Your body is setting you up for the long run between this stage and the breakdown stages. The missed periods could simply be a matter of stressors in your life that were not previously present, like thinking about the possability of having twins for one.

If you are pregnent(congratulations I hope), then your probability is definatly increased for having twins. This may or may not be the result of you stopping birth control. You are genetically marked as being predispositioned for twins. I do not know the statistical data about the correlation between ending chemical birth control and the increase of birthing twins. I do know this would be a very difficult thing to prove or disprove. Simple logic would tell me that this probably unlikly. As we all know twins develop at the cellular stage. Either two eggs are fertilized or a single egg splits. Becuase of this fact, this process is considered as an "Inherent Trait". Because you are predispositioned for twins (another inherent trait) if you do birth twins I would be more inclined to rely on that rather then the chemical changes in your body which would suggest that your genetic encoding has been altered. I base this theory on the twin birth rates before and after the inception of chemical birth control methods. The rate has changed very little over the span of human existance (or at least as long as records of such things have been kept). So long story short if you have twins blame your mom or your husbands/significant others mom lol.

I've never heard of that but I'll tell you my experience. When my first son was 10 1/2 months old I got my first period since he was born (had just stopped nursing). That was my only period as I got pregnant right away. When I was 8 weeks along I found out it was twins. I found out early enough so that I hadn't noticed anything different yet. Soon enough, though, I had much worse morning sickness and was packing on the weight much faster than the first time.

If you are having twins, it is most likely due to the fact that having twins is often hereditary. Since you seem to have several sets in your family, I would definitely bring up the possibility with your doctor.

The pill does not increase the risk of having twins. Genetics does however increase the probability. And as another poster said, age also plays a role.
Weight gain right now does not necessarily mean twins either. The best way to find out is to go to your doctor. Good Luck!

1 / 3