Twin or Full Size Bed for Toddler...

We are looking into a "big boy" bed for our toddler. We've been looking at twin sized beds but then a friend recommeded getting a full size. Just wondring if anyone has been through this process and what you've ended up with and really liked! Thanks in advance! He's not ready for the bed yet but just doing some research for now.

Wow! Thanks everyone! I love reading each and every reply, everyone was so helpful and I really appreciate the feedback. I was at my parent's house today and found my old full size headboard and frame (a simple, nice white one from Ikea that I had years ago - I forgot it was there!) -- we will be going wilth a full size...this way he has plenty of room and I can even fit in there with him :) He'll be getting a baby sister any day now so I forsee this being passed along to her eventually as well (it's sort of girly :) Thank you again! You are the best mommas!!

We got a full size for my daughter and I'm happy we did. If the room can accomodate it, get the bigger bed. It's great for me lying down with her or her brother climing into bed with her. She's also got more room to move around (not that she does!). The other recommendation someone gave us was to put the mattress on the floor when you first transition.. that way not far to fall should he/she roll out. Great idea and I've done it with both kids.

in my sons room he has 2 twin beds and in my daughters room she has a full sized bed. I like the full sized bed much better. It makes her room the hang out. They both pile on her bed to watch v. Mom or Dad sometimes go and lay with her, can't do that on the twin bed. The only downside to the fullsize bed is if you want themed bedding. It's a little more difficult to find.

We got my son a twin with a trundle underneath! I like the idea of that because when he gets older and has friends stay the night they can have their own bed and not have to share! :)

We absolutely love our son's fullsize bed:

- Harder to fall off of while sleeping
- Easy to lie down with them for nightmares, stories, when they're sick
- Great place to play (make a blanket tent and read stories, etc.)
- Great for sleepovers later
- Easy to stash a twin mattress or trundle underneath them and still have storage room (also for sleepovers, guests, etc.)
- The don't outgrow them. You keep them until the mattress wears out / no furniture to buy.

PS: Whatever you do, don't get suckered into a toddler bed. They don't support adult weight (or the weight of 2 kids) so for the 50 or so nights a year that you *have* to go in there, you end up sitting on the floor or taking them out of their room entirely (nightmares, illnesses, etc.) which is just needlessly disruptive (instead of just being able to sit on the bed with them and hold them, check their temp, etc.), and forget laying down with them completely. They outgrow them in 1-2 years (all new sheets and furniture... new blankets as well if you buy the "cute" ones that fit the bed), or LESS. Toddler beds are a marketing ploy. A complete and total waste of $500-$1500 dollars not to mention the daily hassle of their 60-100lb weight limit.

If you have the space absolutely go with a full size! We went through the same thing and then one day someone suggest it and I thought...well sure, yeah, that makes sense...and it does! It's been fabulous! There is enough room to cuddle, read books and have a friend or cousin sleep next to them! My son's room is pretty small and I'm afraid the full won't fit in his, so we may be stuck with a twin for him! :(

We also did a full size bed for our son, he's had it since he was 3 years old and hasn't grown out of it. The best thing to invest in would be a full size bed then you won't have to worry about him growing out of it. We also got the one with the drawers on both sides of his bed which works great for extra clothing. We got his bed from Harlem furniture and I believe they still have it! Theres even a little door at the end of his bed and that's where we store his toy's! Go fo the full size bed! You'll save alot more money! Good Luck!

I got my kids both twin sized beds when they were 3 & 4 years old. They're now 10 & 12 & still in the same beds without any problems. A kid will sleep in whatever is available to them, so if a twin sized makes more sense for you budget wise or based on the size of the room, I'm sure you won't have any issues for quite some time.

Ok, this is completely anecdotal and maybe just my wacky logic, but I want my kids to sleep in a twin bed. I feel if they get used to sleeping on a smaller bed, they will be better bedmates for their future partners. If they have room to roll all over a bigger bed, when they have to share as adults, I worry they'll be bed hogs. My husband grew up sleeping on a full sized bed, and he absolutely kicks, flops all around, and steals the covers.

Again, I know it's not very scientific, but that's why we're sticking with twin beds for our kids.

1 / 3