Tweenage Pimples on Face

Hi Moms,

My 10yr old daughter seems to have a lot of pimples that's coming out on her face. Do you know or have any recommendations of a good face cream I can use to help her with this? Thanks so much.

V..

because she is so young and her skin still so "new" I would to to a dermatologist to get their thoughts for long-term skin health.

As someone who's struggled with acne since that age, your best bet initially is to see a dermatologist to determine what kind of acne it is.

Acne Vulgaris is the most common and can easily be treated with over the counter products. The two most popular ingredients are benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. They have no effect on my deep, cystic acne which I still have issues with due to hormones.

Really, unless there are issues with oil/dryness, any cleanser will do. I prefer Kiehl's Non-Soap cleanser for my skin. It's really mild and works well. But, my face, since going through chemo 2 years ago, is an oil factory, and the only way to effectively treat it is Accutane which is really out of my comfort zone. So, I deal with it.

I use PersaGel (benzoyl peroxide 10%) daily to help prevent break outs and then have a prescription for Benzaclin to address breakouts for the cystic acne when it flairs.

I'd start out mild and get stronger if needed.

Glycerin soap and witch hazel is what I used throughout my teens and had quite clear skin (I could have been lucky).

Aveeno has some really great products called "Clear Complexion" that are not too brutal.

Neutrogena is what I use today for cleansing...I have more complexion problems since I had my daughter than I ever had as a teenager! I alternate between their grapefruit wash and a combination intensive mask/wash that comes in a tube (sorry, I am out and I can't remember the name). I use Aveeno clear complexion moisturizer.

Be careful not to overwash. Keep her from picking at them. Change her pillowcase everyday...make sure they are rinsed well after washing. Consider adding some extra zinc to her diet and reduce sugar in her diet--I know that is hotly debated as to usefulness, but we definitely noticed an improvement in my step-sons' faces when they weren't guzzling soda and gatorade all day.

Tea tree oil is good for youngsters. Burts bees has a blemish stick made from Tea tree oil that works pretty well.

My son just turned 11 and has started dealing with this. I have had him make sure he is washing his face with soap each night and using clearasil pads each evening. It does help when he see the dirt on the pads after washing his face. Since doing this, his face is really clear.

I use the strongest Oxy at the drugstore. It is a cream in a small tube. I actually can't remember the strength. But if you compare the strengths of the medicine in there, it is the strongest of all the Oxy's.

However, if it becomes unbearable and painful for her, she will need to see a dermatologist. My husband had really bad acne as a tween and teen and it really hurt his self-esteem.

do some research on herbal remedies. There are vitamins and minerals that may naturally help your little girl. I hate to start her on the "strong" stuff too soon. Side affects to some of that stuff can be scary.

stay with products you've heard of.. i still have my kids use noxema when they get home from school and before bed.. for bad break outs.. clearasil makes a 4 hour cream.. it works great.. reduces pimples in 4 hours.. good luck.. teach cleaning after school after play and at night.. take a shower and lcean hair every night.. keep hair off far head and face.

1 / 3