Tuna Sandwich in the Lunchbox

My son loves tuna fish sandwiches and wants one in his lunchbox tomorrow for the 1st day or school. If the tuna salad is premixed and kept cold over night (tuna and mayo) do you think it will stay good until lunch? Or should I have an ice pack or something in there by the sandwich? I'll pack it at 7:30 and they eat at 11:30.

Thanks mamas!

anything with mayo/egg/dairy - i put an ice pack in the lunch box...if he has one of the new fangled lunch boxes that are insulated...i would put that in the freezer overnight to help keep it cooler too!! :)

So glad to hear my kids aren't the only ones that like tuna fish sandwiches!!

EDIT: ONLY Put the lunch box in the freezer - NOT the food!!

I would put an ice pack in it. Whenever I pack anything that is normally refridgerated in my son's lunch, I put an ice pack in because it can't hurt!

Do not freeze mayo. It separates. The tuna lunch packs do not contain mayo. It's a similar dressing that does not contain egg. It's probably salad dressing which looks like and tastes similar to mayo. It's shelved next to mayo.

I just read an article that suggested using an insulated bag and include an ice pack. My daughter has several small ones that she keeps in the freezer just for this.

If the classroom is cool I think a tuna sandwich would be OK without the insulated bag and ice. It's heat that spoils the mayo. I think, but am not sure, that mayo style salad dressing is safer in the heat.

One brand of the alternative to mayo is Miracle Whip.

id put a small ice pack in with it to be on the safe side

Stick an ice pack in there - just in case - and give him his sandwich.
LBC

I think an ice pack would be fine - or cut the sandwich up in pieces and store it in a thermos overnight - the thermos will probably keep the cold in longer. I think mayo is more of a concern in the heat for long hours, not in a classroom. Sounds like he has a great appetite :). I used to have turkey and mayo sandwiches all the time for lunches in elementary school.

They have those tuna lunch kits that have mayo thats not cold, so I would guess a sandwich with just an Icepack should be fine

http://www.coolgearinc.com/foodstore1.html

For tomorrow, just put his sandwich directly on top of the cold pack. That should keep the mayo from coming to room temp during the morning.

While this wont help for tomorrow, I just picked up a 3-pack of these containers to take camping for around $10 - at the office supply store of all places. Only the lid has freezer gel in it. They are the same size as the Gladware plastic and will fit a nice sized sandwich. I was able to fit 2 cups of blueberries in one container. Yes, they really work. The gel stayed frozen in the icechest for more than 24 hours. On their website, it looks like they have containers with coolant in the bowl as well.

This lid fits very tightly and is of course pretty stiff since it's frozen. You may want to give your son a little coaching session the first time he uses it to make sure he doesnt crack the lid. It would be hard to do, I think, but it couldnt hurt.

I also saw this one specifically for sandwiches on the website:

http://stores.coolgearincshop.com/-strse-3430/Energy-Sand...

1 / 3