Tums for Toddlers

Does anyone have experience giving Tums to 2 - 6 year olds? We've talked to our pediatrician about it and he can't give me any good reason not to do it. The littler one gets 1/4 of one and the older one has "graduated" to 1/2 of one. We don't do it on a regular basis. This occurs maybe two or three times one month and then not at all for awhile. They both prefer the mint over the ones made for children that are watermelon flavored. Thoughts?

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I am assured by the comments that we are not giving our kids anything they shouldn't have. Both of our kids are lean and in the 75% for height, so it's good to know it was recommended for bone strength. I also went to the bottle to make sure we weren't giving them anything they didn't need. Most often they ask for a Tums when they see their dad take one - or hear the bottle rattle. They don't always get one, but if we've had a late supper I'll break one in pieces. Now we're going to try applesauce for our front line defense and see if that seems to work. Thanks again for everything - Suzi

Are their stomachs upset or why do they need a tum? Sometimes what they eat upsets their system, and I wasjust wondering why they needed at tum at all if this isn't the case.

My daughter's doctor said it was fine. She was 4 when started giving her Tums-we gave her a whole one. She is now 11--we had no side effects what so ever!

It's best to go natural with little ones if you can. I'm a nutritional consultant and have worked with many people, including children. Most folks don't get enough phytonutrients to keep their digestive and immune systems in good shape--and the two are intimately connected. The best children's (and adult's for that matter) vitamin/mineral chewables are Mannatech's GlycoBears--and their MannaBears are absolutely crucial for digestive and immune health. After much research I joined Mannatech as an associate 3 years ago and have seen many, many wonderful results in the people I work with. Feel free to go to my site www.mannapages.com/susanfre and look around. MannaBears and GlycoBears should solve your problems. You won't be needing the Tums any longer. Blessings on you and your family!

If you need to consult with me, here is my cell number.
###-###-####. I live in Grapevine. My two children are grown up now and live in Austin.

Why do you need to give them Tums? Is the Dr. telling you to do this? I would be more concerned at this age as to what is making them need the Tums in the first place!

Susan -

Hi - I would suggest doing a little research on the active ingredient in Tums - talc. There is some controversy related to it's effects as well as other ingredients in Tums such as mineral oil and artificial flavors. If your child is having problems related to digestion or stomach upset you might look at a daily supplement of probotics. My daughter (3) takes Nature's Way Primadophilus kids... which I buy at Healthy Choice in Southlake. Best of Luck.
T. M

I give tums or Mylanta for an upset tummy... have not had problems with that.

A.

My pediatrician actually recently recommended giving 1-2 tums (with calcium) to my 2 yr. old daughter daily. She said it's a good way to be sure she's getting enough calcium and it's just a mild bi-carbonate so there should be no ill effects. We only started it this week and so far my daughter loves it. She gets tums with her breakfast in the morning and vitamins at night (the iron in the vitamins inhibits the absorption of calcium, that's why we seperate the two). It doesn't seem like there would be anything wrong with the amounts your kids are getting.

I give my almost 4 yr old daughter one whole tum. It has never seemed to have an affect on her. I probably wouldn't if she was allergic to ANY type of medication or ever had any reaction to medication. But she has always done very well with other types so I figured one tum wouldn't hurt her. But it may not be right for everyone. Her pedi also told me I could give her regular maalox (not a full dose)--so I didn't think too much about the tums. Hope this helps!! :)

I'm giving my 7 year old tums for a calcuim supplement. Make sure it doesn't have any aluminum in it. Aluminum is attributed to Alzheimer's. We do the fruit smoothies.

I found this article, hopefully it will help you.

We then reach for the antacids, such as Tums, Zantac, Tagamet, etc. They may relieve the symptoms, but do not address the underlying cause. Antacids, by definition, interfere with normal digestion, because they neutralize any stomach acid. They further can cause stomach, gallbladder, and pancreas malfunction, and can lead to malnutrition. Osteoporosis is another possible side effect. Calcium is not easily utilized by the body in an alkaline environment which is created by Tums, and other antacids.

Possible side-effects associated with the use of Zantac and Tagamet, as described in the 1997 edition of the Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) include:

severe headaches
confusion
depression
blurred vision
constipation
diarrhea
nausea
vomiting
pancreatitis
hepatitis
rashes
hair loss
The clinical experience of many holistic practitioners and myself has clearly shown that heartburn, indigestion, and a myriad of other symptoms can be remedied by the supplementation with HCL and digestive enzymes.

(link found on http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:FkGriuIRYFAJ:www.drz... )

1 / 3