Tubes in Ears for 19 Month Old

Hi. I took my 19 month old to the pediatrician to for the third week. He has had a non stop double ear infection...well we had a problem with him last year having one ear infection after another(he always gets it in both ears at the same time). All of the infections have been extremely hard to get rid of, lasting several weeks and then in a week or two he would get them again. Well today our doctor told us that if he has more than two more infections during the cold and flu season he will be refered to an ear, nost, and throat specialist to see about having tubes put in his ears.

My question is: If this is what ends up happening, what can we expect? I know it is a surgical procedure, but how extensive exactly? And what could we expect to see once they are in?

I know that I may be thinking a bit prematurely about this, but can't help to wonder. Any input is appreciated.

Well, we went back to the doctor yesterday and there is a slight improvement. I alos talked with my chiropractor(who sees collin for his reflux) and he told me that the same treatments for his relux could help with the ears and I need to lift his mattress to an angle again. Apparently, when you have relux and lay flat if you have any back flow from the reflux it goes to your ears so if he is laying flat at night there is no place for the fluid to go. So we will see... thanks again for all your input!

My son had tubes put in at 18 mos old. He had many infections and we found out his ears weren't draining properly which also prevented him from hearing well. They put a mask on him to put him to sleep and within 20 minutes or so they were coming to get me and he was fine and ready to go. I noticed within a day all of a sudden he could hear and noises that didn't use to bother him that should have started to scare him so I think it has really helped him hear and he's only had one infection in the last year.

My son got tubes about two months ago (he was just about 1 year). I was completely freaked out, but the procedure was nothing! The only bad part was when he woke up from the anestisia and even that only lasted about ten minutes. He came home, took a two hour nap and was back to himself by the time he woke up. we haven't had any trips to his peditrician (which was usually a weekly visit) and he even started walking two days after the tubes went in. The Dr. said it might have something to do with his equilibrium and balance from all the pressure the ear infections were causing. I highly recommend the tubes, you and the baby will be so much happier when they are in. Good Luck!

Hi Y.,

It was a blessing for my 15 month old to get tubes. It is a 20 minute procedure and it kept the fluid from building up and getting infected. The only thing we had to watch was getting water in her ears. I bought the wax type ear plugs that took no time to put in and take out. It was such a relief to get this procedure done.

Hi there. I used to work at an outpatient surgical center in Louisville. We shared a building with some of the best ENT doctors in the city and they did most of their outpatient surgeries at our facility. We did tons of tube procedures on babies/kids of all ages. It is about a 30 minute proceudre total from the time they take them to the OR until you are allowed to see them in Recovery. It is a very simple procedure and most kids are fine. There usually aren't any complications other than sometimes the tubes fall out before they need to and have to be reinserted. I believe that if they don't fall out when their purpose is done you also have to have them surgically removed, which is just as quick and easy. I personally think it is a great procedure, just make sure you choose a good ENT doctor. My kids were lucky enough not to have to have tubes, but the friends I have whose kids did have to get them say it made a HUGE difference. Hope I have helped, if you have any other questions, let me know.

2 of my cousins had to have tubes in their ears when they were younger. From what I can remember, it is a very simple procedure to have them put in. I beleive it may be outpatient? Once they are in you have to be careful to keep water out of their ears. When bathing and swimming they always had to have cotton or ear plugs in to keep the water out. I remember them saying that they never could feel them, they never bothered them at all. I think that as they grow bigger the tubes just fall out on their own.
I have not dealt with them first hand, but maybe this little bit will help.

I just want to make a suggestion to you if you don't mind. I have found out that most ear infections happen because the baby is allergic to cows milk. Try soy, they have it in Vinnilla, chocolate and origional forula... :-) It is delicious! My daughter is 5, she was preemie born at 2lbs 14oz and the hospital gave her milk based formula. She had problems with runny nose and cough (at 4lbs and 4 oz when she came home, thats not good!) so we switched to a non milkbased formula. and on through her life, she has been on natural foods. She wasn't on table food for 3 years. Only gerber, they have TV dinners and everything for 3 year olds! :-) She drinks 100% juice and soy milk and water and she has NEVER has an earache...

So, I hope my story helps you. And I hope it helps you with your boy and the delima of the ear surgery.. that is a scary thing.. just try something natural first, maybe that will hold off the surgery. Good luck!

Your friend and fellow mom,
L. Kay

P.S. Please, Let me know how it works out! :-)

Hi Y.
Tubes are wonderful......Your child will be able to hear a lot better and be able to pronounce things better and wave bye bye to the painful nights of no sleep due to ear infections (unless the tubes fall out). Once the tubes are in they tell you not to emerge the ears in water, if they do not offer you a set of ear plugs ask your local drug store. My daughter had to be fit for hers, but for my son I use a cottonball big enough to cover the inner parts of his ear and cover his ear in vaseline (its waterproof and cheap!!!) Once his bath is over remove the cottonballs and wipe the ear clean with vaseline, soft ears and clean and Dry. Make sure you don't puch the cottonball into far and make sure to use enough vaseline to cover the whole inner ear and cotton ball. Procedure is simple our ENT doctor said it takes 15-20 minutes for the procedure, plus your son will love being able to eat nothing but popsicles once he awakes.

I have a 12 yr old daughter that has had 6 sets, 1st set at less than 24 months old, hers kept falling out. Finally on the 6th set they removed her adenoids as well. And after the 6th set we found another doctor who done the same procedure to my 5 year old son who had his first of tubes when he was younger and they fell out and he failed his hearing exam at school and I had noticed he would stop breathing for a second when he was sleeping he was a loud snorer, but he just recently had his tonsils, adenoids removed and had another set put in. Knock on wood it has been a great decision on our behalf to have it all done. Turns out his tonsils were enlarged. Not saying your child will have the same problem. My son and daughter did not seem to have much pain with their tubes they enjoyed the popsicles the most....... So no worries..... Funniest part is once you get hiim home and finishes sleeping the anesthia off, they are funny since they don't realize why they slept so much.

Good Luck and Happy New Year.

My son had tubes put in his ears when he was 12 mos old. It is a minimally invasive surgery that doesn't take very long. Brayden hasn't had one ear infection since the placement of his tubes and he is now 3. The recovery for the surgery was very fast. He was up being his normal self the next day. Good luck and don't worry, it's a very common thing and everything will be alright.

1 / 3