Trying to Get Pregnant with Thyroid Issues...

Has anyone who has a thyroid problem had success in getting pregnant? I didn't have thyroid problems until after my first child. Trying for my second, but doctor said if levels are off and I become pregnant, it could result in a miscarriage. We have been trying for five months with no success :(

Hi, M.,

I went through many rounds of various types of infertility treatment to conceive my first child. I have an immune disorder, not a thyroid disorder, but through RESOLVE, I know a few people (men and women) who have thyroid problems. Some of them eventually had their own genetic children; others did not. These types of problems are most likely to successfully be treated by experts in the field, endocrinologists and especially reproductive endocrinologists. The facts that you have already conceived and carried a child to term and that you are still fairly young in terms of reproduction make the chance of you conceiving and carrying another child to term higher.

L. E

Hi M.. I had thyroid cancer after my first and had two miscarriages (looking back they were realted to the cancer). Because of the cancer they removed my thyroid, so I'm on thyriod replacement hormone (synthroid). Once my medication was right (and I took progesterone supositories) I was able to have a fantastic little girl (who is 1 and a half now.) Good luck! :)

I too had a thyroid problem and had 5 miscarriages, before getting the thyroid under control, balanced, then I had a son at age 40. He came 3 months early, but is 20 now, attending a brand new college at UCLA Pathways for sp ed high functionting people with disabilities. ONce you get the thyroid balanced, you should not have any problems getting pregnant. Good luck healthy-communications.com

Your doctor is right. You need to have him run a rest or go to an endrocronologist to be tested. When you get pregnant your body automatically needs more thyroid hormone and if your body doesn't make enough naturally... it could cause a miscarriage. I got hypothyroidism (underactive) after my first pregnancy and was put on medication (synthroid 100mcg). The second time I got pregnant they watched me carelfy to make sure my dosage didn't need to be adjusted. make sure you look into it and good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions.

I was diagnosed with Graves' disease when I was 28 and I'm 40 now. I did drug therapy for over a year and finally decided to have the Radioactive iodine treatment. I have been on Synthroid since then and have also had two successful pregnancies. I had my first at 33 and my second at 36. I didn't have any issues with my thyroid during either pregnancy and have two healthy beautiful girls. I would talk to an Endocrinologists and make sure they do a full thyroid bood panel and your options for conceiving a child.

Hi
I have hypothyroidism, and have had 2 successful pregnancies. Make sure you get your thyroid levels checked regularly, especially after you get pregnant and the risks are low. I ended up using the basal body temp chart to get my first baby.

I have been taking synthroid for underactive thyroid for over 10years. I take .125 mcg (this dose has increased after daughter was born) I got pg at almost 41 and wa not trying. it's just my opinion but it's kind of like it's meant to be it will...?? but are you on thyroid meds? Are the levels 'off' as your doctor puts it, and can they be made normal? I hope your dream will happen soon!! Best, H.

Hi M. - As I'm sure you know, proper diet and nutrition can improve anyone's health and help the body function better. Not to say it's going to cure your thyroid problem, but increasing your intake of vegetables and fruit every day will have positive effects on your body and your mood which can greatly effect your ability to get and sustain a healthy pregnancy. I wish you the best. And I highly suggest that you add Juice Plus fruit and vegetables capsules to your diet. It's 28 colorful vegetables, fruits, berries and whole grains in capsule form. It's truly the next best thing to eating your produce and makes sure your body gets all those nutrients in their natural combination every single day. Below are study results on Juice Plus and pregnancy from the University of Mississippi. If you want to hear more about this study you can call a free health hotline 800-942-1260 and press 2 and 2 to listen to the OBGYN who lead the study. Feel free to check out my website at www.wethriveonjuiceplus.com or call me at ###-###-####.

PRENATALS Prenatals + Juice Plus+
Preterm (< or = 32 wks.) 35 (20%) 0

Preeclampsia 38 (21%) 0

Spontaneous Labor 16 (9%) 0

PROM 6 (3%) 0

NICU Admission 17 (10%) 0

Respiratory Distress 13 (8%) 0

Ave. Birth Weight 3280 grams 3507 grams (+227)

Gestational age 38.2 weeks 39.3 (+1.1 week)

after having my son I developed thyroid disease and they told me if I wanted more children I would need help. I didn't listen, I started exercising and eating right just to get my body and mind healthy to become pregnant and after a year exactly of trying I got pregnant with my now 5 month old daughter. Your thyroid messes with your hormones but having a healthy mind and body helps regulate your hormones.

I had a lot of medical complications after my first child. One of the results was an inactive thyroid. I take medication for it. In the last six years, I have had three additional children. Thyroid issues affect everyone differently. Make sure you are going to a great thyroid doctor and explain the situation before talking about this stuff with your OB/Gyn. Good Luck. Have faith!

1 / 3