Treatment for Psoriasis

I have psoriasis breaking out all over my body. My knees and elbows are the worse but I have patches all over my legs. If anyone else has this and is being treated for it, can you please tell me what you are using and if it is working? I am on Olux-E which is supposed to be the strongest steriod but it isn't helping much. This is making me very depressed!

B. -

I have had this myself for most of my life and have seen 7 doctors all giving me meds which made it worse. It was very very frustating - then I finally found the right doctor (unfortunately he has retired but I can pass on his protocol). There is something called lightbox therapy - there are only 2 in Houston I know of - one at Baylor in the medical center and one at Kelsey Seybold on Augusta (West Clinic - Galleria area). You go 2-3 times a week, you stand in it for anywhere for 10 second to a minute. And it will make it disappear! This is the short version - call Kelsey and see about making an appointment, they can fill you in on everything. Its time consuming and costly with 3 co-pays a week but well woth it. Good luck to you. I know how hard this is to deal with and I feel for you. Try and do this it is the only thing I have ever found that works.

I have psoriasis too. One thing I will say is it has gotten worse since the birth of my son. Which makes sense because flare-ups are often related to stress. Try not to worry and hopefully it will get better soon.

I have a large patch on my left elbow (none on my right, which is weird because it is a symetrical disorder), all over my scalp, and a new patch on my left knee. I have little spots that come and go in other parts of my body.

I am currently NOT using any medication. I went to the dermatologist a few months ago and he gave me a few new medications to try. Honestly, I got tired of putting medicine and steriods onto my body so I thought I'd try something else. I recently started taking probiotics. A friend of mine told me her doctor recommended it for her sons eczema and I should give it a try. It really makes sense to me that it would work, and after a month of taking it, my skin is clearing up. The appearance is getting better, it still itches some, but I have been putting regular lotion on it during the day and it is helping with that. I am hoping that in a few more months it will improve even more.

Probiotics help maintain the good bacteria in you gut. If you have too much bad bacteria, it can start to show up as diseases and problems all throughout your body. The skin is the largest organ of the body. Did you know that 70% of your immune system is located in your gut? If it's out of whack, it makes sense that you would start to see problems with your skin. And psoriasis is an auto-immune disease, which means your immune system is attacking your body! Look into it. I take Culturelle and I get it at Target.

I know how you feel though, it gets me down sometimes too.

I have a 30 page handout it you would like me to send it to you. some of the suggestions include:
- link with GI system
- food allergy testing
- nutritional supplements.

take care

B. -

Just an idea. My cousin was diagnosed with psoriasis and spent years trying various treatments without having any improvement. He went to a new doctor who told him it wasn't psoriasis but a yeast infection. Once he treated it for yeast it cleared up and has not returned.

My husband has dealt with Psoriasis for most of his life, about 2 years ago he finally started seeing a new dermatologist and he has been on Enbrel since then. It has cleared up immensely and isn't painful or itchy anymore.

I recently heard of a product called "NAPOLYEA" not sure of spelling......you can google it.

My mom has psoriasis but I do not know much about her meds or doctors recommendations other than her doctor told her to go to a tanning bed 2-3 times a week for like 5-10 min. Not long...but he said something about that helping with it. Good luck!

According to my dermetologist Tazorac Gel is one of the best topical meds.

I also have heard of people that drink Apple Cider Vinegar and claims it helps. Hard to choke down but probably worth a try.

1 / 3