Treating 2 Year Old Constipation

My two year old has always struggled with constipation. We've tried prune juice on a daily basis and using mineral oil occasionally as instructed by our pediatrician. My question...have any of you moms found a way to eliminate or treat constipation? How many of you have found it to just be a phase? Have any of you done blood testing to rule out alleriges as the cause? Ideas/suggestions? Also, I have two other children (ages 8 months and 4 years) and they DO NOT struggle with constipation.
Thanks.

ok I had that trouble with my daughter-she was younger than two but the only thing that worked was apple juice-not the kids kind becouse that is not as "strong" it is more diluted. Seems silly, but I had tried everything, and this worked! I am the mother of three and that was the first time I had dealt with "child onset of constipation"...hope it works! By the way, she never had a problem like that again-she is six now and very "regular".

My youngest son (now 16) was constipated for three weeks when he was only a few months old. It was a terrible time. Neither of us slept. I would cry because he cried because he was so uncomfortable. We tried almost everything to help him. We added a bit of peppermint and white Karo syrup to his bottle; we had him drink diluted apple juice; we gave him warm baths. Because of his age, his doctor did not want to give him an enema, but she was going to have to if the last thing didn't work.... while giving him a very warm bath I had to put vaseline on my pinky and "massage" his rectum. I did this for a couple of days, and finally he was able to have a bowel movement. I continued to use peppermint and Karo in his bottles or diluted apple juice.

I have a 16 month old who struggled with constipation for a while, nothing worked, so her Dr. prescribed a stool softener (Miralax)which helps. If it goes untreated it could get a lot worse and cause problems in the lower intestine. For the last 2 months we have not had any issues with BMs, but I can not miss a dose or the problem will start over again. I hope this helps.

One of my boys struggled with this. We cut down the amount of milk he drank & dairy he ate (he loves milk) & that did the trick. We limited his amount of milk to only with meals.

You are not the only one out there! I too have a child that struggles with this issue. My 6 year old takes Miralax on a daily basis. We have tried to stop using it but he just doesn't go without it. I don't know if he will ever be able to stop taking something to help him with his bowel issues. Just don't let your child get backed up...that's even harder on them!

What's the diet that your child is on? I've been around many 1-5 year olds that have constipation and when moms change their diet, they begin to 'go' on a daily basis.

Try feeding your baby raw vegetables and fruits for 10 days, cut out meat and dairy and grains to let his system catch up and see how they're feeling. Dairy and grains especially gunk up our intestines and meat takes longer than veggies and fruit to digest.

You can also rub their belly in a clockwise direction to help break up what's in there and get it moving.

Hope this helps and your babe is feeling better soon

~C.

I give my youngest a snack container of diced fruit- especially the ones with cherries. I think they're by Dole. She loves them, eats all of it, and promptly poops a few hours later and again later if needed. It's been great for her!
Hope it helps!

I would consider something he is eating. My children and I have a whey intolorance. It makes me constipated but gives them diarrea (just shows how different bodies react). I dont know if I would pay for an allergy test because it could just be an intolorance. I would up his fruits/veggies avoiding bananas/applesauce and see if eliminating certain foods helps. I would try dairy OR wheat first for at least a week, better for 2-4 and see if you get any results. He also might be withholding if he is just recently potty trained which is a whole different story but one I am sure you can find past questions on here about. Good Luck, Jen
p.s. Sunsweet is the only not from concentrate prune juice I have found and it works 10x better then the concentrate/reconstitute

My son was first constipated at 10 months old...about the time solids became more of his diet. He drank plenty of water, was still breast feeding and ate plenty of whole grains. Prune juice had no effect on him. Like many, my Ped gave me Miralax. My son is now 6-1/2 and still taking it once a week or so. He was almost four before we had to get radical...his body was actually addicted to being constipated which made potty training a NIGHTMARE. We had to get aggressive and took an inspired course of action which included daily enema's for 2 weeks...he finally started to feel it when he needed to go...he was so impacted he didn't feel his rectum. Anyway, I wish I'd pushed my Ped into checking things out more thoroughly. I wish I'd pushed her into having us see a specialist. I started to feel and still do, that he had some mechanics issues that he has since outgrown but his body is still prone to constipation.

So my advice is to do whatever it takes now to solve the problem. The longer it goes on, the more it will develop into a physical and emotional behavior.

The thing that is starting to bother me, this issue is coming up A LOT and Miralax is not over the counter. It makes me wonder what is going on in our food that makes some kids have trouble.

We have the same problem. Now we are using Miralax and the things seams better, even I'm not happy about loading my son with any medications. Let me know if you find a better solution. I did try high fiber diet and it didn't work. Prune juices worked only when I made them at home but I keep that for bad times.
Daniella D:
I will add something here as I can't edit my own respond (got no idea why). Yes, there is something in the food here in the States. We do spend the summer in Europe and my son has no problems there. Our pediatrition was suprised to hear that but that was it! We are talking about the same diet and no constipation there, only when we are here. Plus he takes more sugars there, because of grand-ma and grand-pa and still has regular soft BM. I do think that are the preservatives that are used in the foods here and there as his diet is absolutely the same. Here he takes Miralax and I just put it in his water, has no taste at all.

1 / 3