Treat Bags at Birthday Parties.

Hi. I'm having a 1st birthday party for my son on December 15th. What are your suggestions for treat bags? I have teething rings for the children under age one. Is candy okay or I could make brownies and wrap up three for each child. The children's ages range from infant through ten. Not to sound cheap, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on the treat bag items.

S.,

try the dollar store they have great little things for a dollar that can go in a treat bag for the bigger kids that the kids will have lots of fun playing with.

The dollar stores have great little toys and candies you could use for the treat bags. They have Christmas treat bags their selling right now, which would be perfect for the season. My son's birthday is around Valentine's Day, so his treat bags always have a Valentine's Day theme.

I know yall will probably think I'm awful but - treat bags? for a one year olds bday party? C'mon! You can't be serious! The only people who will know what is going on will be the parents and the only reason to make up treat bags (or worry about being considered cheap) is that you're way concerned what the other ADULTS at the one year old party will think of you! This is your child's birthday for heaven's sake! Forget the treat bags and spend money on the clothes they outgrow so quickly.

I'm sure you will get some great suggestions from the other moms on this board. I, however, am 'anti-treat bags'. I think they are nice, but not needed. Growing up, we never got treat bags for going to a party, and I don't want my son to expect a gift every time he goes to a party. But everyone does seem to do them....some items that we have received in the bags are books and little cheap toys from the Dollar Tree, bubbles, candy. If you are serving birthday cake at the party, then I wouldn't think brownies would be necessary. I hope this doesn't sound 'snotty'....not meaning to, just wanted to give my 2 cents.

I must say i agree w/ whitney. My daughter will be turning one on Jan 1st and i have no intentions of throwing an all out party w/ treat bags. I'll do cupcakes for the kids (mostly family) and that the extent so I can take pics of her making a mess for the 1st b-day cupcake. Now my son is 3 and I did throw a b-day party close to halloween so i did do treat bags w/ play-doh, bubbles, gummies, glow sticks (marc's has some good deals, but this was around halloween so i don't know if they still will have little bag stuffers) I also put in candy and little hand clapper things. This was the first real b-day party my son has had, i figured he'd be more in to it and remember and have fun. I had a mom e-mail me too when I asked about games and she said one child friend for your child's age (so 3 friends for my 3 yr old) her advise worked out well. I hope your not offended, but i think thats a little extreme for a one year old.

Gummy bears or any gummy treats are usually big hits with the little ones. Small coloring books or puzzles are usually fun for the younger ones as well. I've put in pocket size notepads, colorful pencils, etc. Other things that go over well are goldfish crackers, peanut butter or cheese crackers (8/$1). Some places even sell sets for parties. All of these things can be found at the dollar stores. If you are really adventurous, you could do a make and take craft or treat instead.

Good luck and have fun!

I am not a candy fan my self...but do usually put in one sweet treat. But visit the dollar store. I always find things like stickers, pencils, little note pads are great for school age kids. Good luck!

that sounds great i went to the dollar store and looked around i got bubbles for them among a few other things....

I usually have a wide age range too so I put mini play-doh, mini bubbles and fruit snacks in a bag. These are fun items that all ages can enjoy. I have also done foam door hangers or bookmarks with foam stickers, it's in expensive and the kids love to make them.

In response to all of the moms who think treat bags for a one year old's birthday party is extreme - shame on them. Treat bags are not for the guest of honor so it shouldn't matter how old your little one is going to be. If your family is like mine, you probably have a celebration for every occasion and your child's first birthday is a very special one. I had a wonderful first birthday for my son - treat bags and all! We invited our family and close friends and gave a treat bag to all of the kids 12 and under. I put mini-playdough, crackers, gummies,party favors, etc. in the bags. The Gerber graduates snacks come in individual packs and are great for kids under 2. We gave the older children a candy bar also. It wasn't too expensive and I only bought things that we would use if we had left over. Good luck on your party and Happy Birthday to the little one!

1 / 3