Traveling with Santa??

With Christmas approaching, I need to start making plans and have a question...
For the last couple of years I have refused to travel at Christmas partly due to having to haul/hide all of the Santa gifts on the way there and then haul it all back....unfortunately for us this means spending Christmas "alone" with no extended family around, so I am reconsidering.

For those of who travel at Christmas...how do you handle the Santa situation? Any pointers to make it easier?

We always tell my daughter and now will tell my son that where ever their stocking are hung is where Santa will find them. So when we leave to head up to my parents we always take the stockings and rehang them there.

Ship packages to the location like at Thanksgiving. For larger items, leave at the house with a note from Santa.

The last time we traveled at Christmas time I did most of my shopping online at Amazon and other sites with free shipping. I had the gifts shipped to my sister-in-laws and wrapped them when we got there. Then we shipped them back home.

I've never had to deal with this, but I like the idea of having 2 Christmases - one where you are, and one when you get home. Tell the kids you're going to write to Santa letting him know you'll be out of town and to please deliver the presents to your house so you don't have to carry them home on the plane. Ask for only a couple to go to where you are going to be if you think other family will give "santa" presents. I'd ask the family NOT to give Santa presents, as you really don't need to be dragging stuff all over the place. Then you can have a 2nd christmas when you get back with your and santa's presents. Heck, what kid would complain about 2 christmases? :)

We travel from Dallas to Denver every year for Christmas. What we do is to hang up our stockings here, then when everybody's loaded in the car, I run in to get something I "forgot", and quickly fill the stockings and put the santa gifts under the tree. In Denver santa visits also and brings stocking gifts, but the other gifts are all from family. We do reindeer food and cookies for Santa in Denver. When we get back home, usually after the New Year's, the kids find that Santa has been here and left gifts for them. That way we get to enjoy the time in Denver with extended family, but still have a family Christmas at home, and the kids don't seem to mind that it's a week late!

We've got four kids, ages 3-8, and have been doing this since the oldest was 2. It works well for us.

We have had to travel the last 3 years for Christmas. Here is what I do:

In front of the children, I "dial" (it's easy to fool kids into thinking you are dialing) the North Pole and asked to speak to Santa. I then have a conversation with "Santa" about the 2 children. I tell him we have to travel on Christmas day and could he put them on the list for "early delivery". We usually get the delivery on the 21st or whatever works best. I pretend to listen to Santa and make comments like..."Oh you have to check your good/bad list to see which one they are on" etc.

I only wish I had set up a video camera while I did it because the hopeful looks while they waited to see if they were on the "good girl/boy list" and not the "bad girl/boy list" and the high fives for being on the good list were absolutely priceless.

Anyway, we have a regular Christmas with Santa gifts just a couple days early. It worked great and if we have to travel again this year I will do it again.

We have always had this problem since our family is also out of town. What we do is pack the kids up in the car, put the movie on and get them all settled in for the drive to Houston. Then my husband or I runs into the house to get out all of the Santa gifts and stuff the stockings. We also leave a note from Santa to the kids saying something like he hopes we had a fun time at Grandma's and that he went ahead and dropped off our stuff while we were gone. In the past the kids have also left a note for Santa telling him that they would be at Grandma's Christmas morning but would be back home on the 28th. That way Santa knows where to leave the goodies. The kids are always excited to drive back home and have "Christmas" all over again. Hope that helps!

Mail the gifts ahead. We have traveled several times at Christmas and that has always worked for us! It just means finishing up your shopping a little sooner. Mail them at least 3 weeks in advance to take advantage of cheaper rates. If you wait too long, you'll pay higher shipping costs! I've also taken advantage of buying online and having the items shipped to our relatives' homes, so they are waiting when we get there.

We write a letter to SANTA and let him know that we are going to be out-of-town and ask him if he can make SPECIAL arrangements to come to our home early... every year HE is so nice and comes early!
If we are out-of-town for Christmas-- Santa makes a "special trip" to our house the weekend before we leave We have Christmas eve on Sat. night and "Christmas Morning" on Sunday morning. Then we attend the 5 o'clock mass Sun. night and go out to a NICE dinner. Santa then comes again on actual christmas eve/christmas morning and delivers our stocking stuffers and a few books.

Hi, I would say instead of hauling the gifts with you... simply pack them in a box and ship UPS or DHL and they will be there waiting for you when you get there! that way the kids wont see you get them out and your family can put them in a safe hiding place for you. I have friends who travel this way all the time with just shipping their luggage, its cheaper than checking your bags on an airplane (depending on size) and it usually does not get lost and its insured with UPS free up to 100.00 then you can pay more for extra insurance.

Hope that helps!
A. J

1 / 3