Traveling with Formula

I am traveling with my infant and I want to how much powder and liquid formula I can bring on the plane with me. Also will they let me bring an unopened can of formula?

You can bring as much formula as reasonably necessary, BUT they dont have to let you bring plain water on (for the powdered formula) - sometimes they let you, sometimes they dont (depending on the airport, they seem confused about whether you're "allowed" water for a baby or not). Formula, babyfood, juice for a baby are all exceptions to the liquids rule

You can go on www.tsa.gov and click on the For travelers tab and go from there. There is a list of things permitted and prohibited. I was just on there the other day. Anyway here is a bit of what is in the baby items part of that page.
When carrying formula, breast milk, or juice through the checkpoint, they will be inspected, however, you or your infant or toddler will not be asked to test or taste breast milk, formula, or juice. Our Security Officers may test liquid exemptions (exempt items more than 3 ounces) for explosives.
When traveling with your infant or toddler, in the absence of suspicious activity or items, greater than 3 ounces of baby formula, breast milk, or juice are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary, if you perform the following:
Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.
You are encouraged to travel with only as much formula, breast milk, or juice in your carry-on needed to reach your destination.
You are allowed to bring gel or liquid-filled teethers, canned, jarred, or processed baby food in your carry-on baggage and aboard your plane.
For information on creams, medicines, or other essential items for your child, please read our guidance on these items. Click here for the list of permitted and prohibited items.
Liquids and gels, including baby formula, breast milk, or juice, may be packed in your luggage and checked with your airline.
After clearing security, travelers can now bring beverages and other items purchased in the secure boarding area on-board aircraft.
For more details on navigating the screening process with your children, please read our information on traveling with children.

I know the answer to this all too well. I just got back from vacation with my 15 month old last week. You can take as much formula/baby food etc. as you "reasonably" need on the plane with you. I put all of the EMPTY bottles (FYI- You can not get through security with even plain water...I didn't know this and spent over an hour going back through security after they made me leave to dump it!). I put the empty bottles in one plastic storage bag and the baby food jars in another plastic storage bag. This made it so much easier to get through security. Even though they allow you to bring as much "baby supplies" with you as you need, they still want it to go through security separately, so they can inspect it closer. All in all, it was a fairly smooth process. I was so worried that I had packed too much and I wouldn't be able to get through security without having to throw it all away and then my baby would starve. Haha...I am such a worry-wart when it comes to travelling. But like some of the other ladies said, call the airline and double check. I am sure they would be happy to help.

Good luck and happy travels!

I would call the airline, but I believe that formula is the exception to the rule! Good luck.

You should call the airline. They change the rules. The rules are usually listed on the airport web site, but it is possible that they change the rules and do not update the web site at the same time.

call the airline and ask them their policy.

D.,

I have done alot of traveling with my little one. The thing that I got stuck with was having a bottle of just water (powder seperate). They are fine if you have it mixed in the bottle...just not plain water. Also, I had two bottles of formula with me when I went on my trip. I haven't tried taking any more than that!

Hope that helps! Have fun!

I just traveled with formula and baby food and I was told by security that babies are an exception and I could have as much as I needed. I would double check by calling your airline but that was my experience.

1 / 3