Traveling 4 Hours Away for Funeral at 37 Weeks Pregnant?

My husband's great-uncle passed away yesterday and the wake is Sunday, funeral Monday in Indiana - about 4 hours from where we live. I'm 37 weeks pregnant and had an ultrasound on Monday, baby is doing great at 6lbs, 3ounces. I called my OB and left a message and am waiting for his call, but I was wondering: would you go?

ETA: I'm not close to his great-uncle, in fact I've never met him, but DH was. This is my 2nd baby. My DD was 4 days late, but her labor was short for a first baby (8 hours). That is a good point about insurance. I have no idea if mine will cover me at another hospital.

I'm also kind of a wimp about being away from my 2 year old for a day or two if she goes with DH to the funeral. The biggest motivating factors for me to go would be to not be away from her and to support my DH. I know the former reason is probably silly :)

No, I would not go. Your baby must come first. It would stink to go into labor when you are 4 hours from home.
EDIT: My labor for my 3 rd baby was about 1 to 1 1/2 hours total. I delivered within 12 minutes of getting into my hospital room. This is not your first baby so I personally would not take the chance. My daughter was born exactly 2 weeks before her due date.

Yes, I would go. You normally can make it back to your hospital in 4 hours if you need to.

Updated

I wouldn't go. Stay home and relax and enjoy a couple of days to yourself!

Do you have a sign of labor ? If not, I would go.
If yes, ask yourself if you are willing to travel and if this person is an important person for you/your hubby. Is it worth the discomfort of travel and the risk of being in labor ?
Usually the baby is not coming within the 4 hours since the first sign of labor (with the exception of some women who happen to have a very quick one).

My grandfather past away a few weeks ago when I was 36 weeks pregnant. Our drive was 5 hours. After talking with my doctor and getting his blessing I decided to make the trip. It was that important to me on so many levels. I called United Health Care before going to make sure I understood what my options were for hospitals along the way. For us we could deliver at any hospital that took UHC which the options were endless. We printed off the hospital options in each city along the way and brought that with us. We also brought my labor delivery bag, postpartum bag, and car seat. My doctor made sure we understood to drink lots of extra fluids and to walk around every 2 hours. That wasn't a problem because at 36 weeks pregnant I was going to need to potty at least that often.

My daughter did not go. She stayed with my mom. I felt like if i went into labor my parents and daughter could jump in the car and be there in 5 hours which by that time the baby would most likely still not be here. First labor was 12 hours. However, I could not imagine going into labor without my husband around so I was much more willing to make the journey and keep us together than for him to go alone. I did fine and had no problems. It was the right decision for me.

NO. I wouldn't go. Its too close for comfort. What if you go into labor on the way? Would you be comfortable delivering at an unknown hospital with people who don't know you or your history? I wouldn't take the chance. I am very sorry to hear about your great-uncle. Take care~

It would depend on the weather and if you are at all dilated of softening. Also what your ob says. I think I would probably not go if it were me.

Updated

If you're looking for an excuse not to attend a funeral, just use whatever the OB tells you. I'm almost positive that they'll tell you to stay home. No one, not even your husband, will look down on you for staying home.

1 / 3