Travel & Potty Training

How do you deal with potty training while traveling over the holidays? Should we attempt to take a potty, have grandmas buy potties, or is there something easier and portable I should know about......

I haven't ever responded to a request, but I hope that doing so might make life easier for you. We loved this approach and it worked wonderfully for my son, so hopefully you might be helped by it also. It might be easier if you were done with the "training" before the holidays. Have you ever heard of the 3 day potty training e-book. We loved it. It's at
www.3daypottytraining.com

Hope it helps.

They have travel potty seats that fold up to fit in the diaper bag. You can also just take the one you have. But I personally like the the potty chair and just take the whole thing. Because if they have to go potty at an inconvenient time you can pull over, have them go, and dump it behind a bush. Have a great trip!

You could buy a folding potty ring if he is willing to go on the big potty. Just keep it in a zip lock bag. You can also reduce stress by having him wear pull ups in case you just can't get to a potty on time, or the airplane potty freaks him out, etc. If he doesn't love the potty ring, then have Grandma buy a small potty. Most of all, don't have any expectations, because the traveling could affect his potty training in so many ways that you can't anticipate. If he needs/wants to regress, don't sweat it. Let him be in control and just dress him in diapers or pull ups to minimize any hassle for you if he regresses. He will get back on track when he feels ready. Good luck!

www.3daypottytraining.com

Hope it helps.

One Step Ahead (you can find them online) has (or did have) a portable potty seat that just sits on the big potty. It folds & fits in a little sack. It has worked well for us.

By "holidays", do you mean Thanksgiving and Christmas? How old exactly is your 2 year old?

Around 28 months is the "average" or "optimal" potty-training age. By 30 months you should know exactly what your child's fears are (falling off, falling in, etc., which you should not reinforce by acting scared too!). Our youngest, a 31-month-old, has already fallen in, and is therefore no longer afraid of that! In stores, at airports, at others' houses, etc., I just put down a toilet seat cover or toilet paper and bend over and hold him (just in case) for #2, which is rare, or he stands on my feet to be taller to go #1. We have the folding seat for the "diaper" bag but he has never used it. Also, if you are flying or driving for several hours, I recommend Pullups and frequently asking him/her if he/she needs to "go". We just went on vacation to California and did not have a single accident because we made sure his bladder stayed empty. So don't worry, it can be done. Just have extra clothes and wipes on hand in case of accidents! Good luck!

Hey there, we traveled from Colorado to Florida with my daughter who had been training for about two months. She was pretty good about potty big or small from the beginning. If you are driving, we found it great to have a little potty in the car for side of the road stops. That way we didn't have to pull into a rest stop/gas station every single time she had to tinkle. Also, I felt better about the cleanliness of our potty than any skanky road stop. We kept biodegradable tp in the car and would simply dump the pee pee in the grass if we had to stop. If we didn't have the bio paper or if she had to go #2 we would double bag it and put it in the potty until we were at a stop that had a trash can. I kept clorox wipes in the car as well so I could wipe it down after each use. We may have used the potty 4- 5 times during our entire trip. It was super useful in the middle of Kansas when we didn't have anywhere to stop. When we reached our destination, grammy's house- she had a Dora potty seat that we used. I think I was more anxious about the whole thing than my little one was. It worked out wonderfully and we only had one accident during our traveling time. Always keep extra clothes and wipes handy just in case. Oh, and she was using pullups at night during that time so when we left the house at 10pm to begin our trip, I just kept her in her pullup while she slept in the car. Good luck and hope this helped!

Best potties to take w/ you or give to grandma are from IKEA. colorful, small, and under $5 each. you cant beat that! for that price, give one to sitter, keep one in each bathroom, takeit in the car!

When I potty trained my daughter I found a potty seat that fits in the rim of the toilet seat to be much easier, cleaner, and easier to transition to than a potty chair that goes on the ground. My daughter took to it easily, didn't have to re-learn how to use the 'big potty' and was great for traveling. It's also easily washable, just wipe any messes, wipe down after each use, and you're ready to go.I definitely plan on going the same route when it's my son's turn-there was even a detachable piece that fits inside the front to cut down on messes made by little boys. You may want to look into one :)

(mom of a 14 year old daughter and 11 month son)

1 / 3